• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Game Time - Noon ESPN

Certainly a better choice than parading Wellman out in one of the biggest games in years. Of course we came out flat.

Yeah Caldwell had horrendous results at Wake, but he was such a nice guy. And damn it, the man knew how to get us hyped going into a season during his off-season speeches. Let's hope this will have the opposite effect than 2 Saturdays ago.

And we're doing it at that right time. It's been going on 20 years since Caldwell was coach, our fanbase has had time to get over his on-field results and appreciate the man and how he represented Wake. That's what they should've done with Wellman, have had him Open the Gate 10 years from now when our basketball program has hopefully recovered some, the bad feelings time to have died down and time to appreciate some of the good things he did. However, they parade his sorry butt out there to Open the Gate when they man hasn't even been retired 6 months, forcing all this Wellman appreciation crap down our throats. Wellman Way, the road to no where!

looks like members of the Aloha Bowl team will join him. the Wake football Twitter account called on players to register to be there.

That's cool. First bowl appearance in a long time if I recall correctly. Caldwell left some good players with whom Grobe could build.

That's cool. First bowl appearance in a long time if I recall correctly. Caldwell left some good players with whom Grobe could build.

1992 Indy Bowl to the 1999 Aloha Bowl. Didn't seem all that long compared to the 1979 Tangerine Bowl to 1992 Indy Bowl wait.

Maybe we will open the gate with Chip Vaughn for the Duke game :bowrofl:

I like having Caldwell and that team open the gate. It's the 20th anniversary of the Aloha Bowl. That was an unexpected bowl bid. We were 5-5 heading into the last game of the season against a good Georgia Tech team. I believe that they were ranked in the Top 20. We beat them to finish 6-5 and then we beat ASU pretty easily in the bowl game.

Wake has done a good job of connecting with the past this season. They honored the 1979 Tangerine Bowl team earlier this year.

I like having Caldwell and that team open the gate. It's the 20th anniversary of the Aloha Bowl. That was an unexpected bowl bid. We were 5-5 heading into the last game of the season against a good Georgia Tech team. I believe that they were ranked in the Top 20. We beat them to finish 6-5 and then we beat ASU pretty easily in the bowl game.

Wake has done a good job of connecting with the past this season. They honored the 1979 Tangerine Bowl team earlier this year.

Yeah, we lost the week before at Duke and I thought that probably did in our bowl chances, but we upset a really good Ga. Tech team the next week at home.

Maybe we will open the gate with Chip Vaughn for the Duke game :bowrofl:

That’s a good choice.

Caldwell is a good model to follow for anyone who has a career setback in their early 40s. Find a good mentor and stick with them.

The Aloha Bowl team was a sign that Wake could make bowls. That team wasn’t expected to do anything. We blew the promise of the previous season. No Rusty, no Kuklick. Thabiti Davis was gone. Seemed like we had missed our shot. Then we made it. And then after 2000, Wellman wisely didn’t let the Aloha Bowl give Caldwell a free pass and let him go.

Last edited:
I was at Wake when Caldwell was hired and one of the first things he did was go around to some of the dorms and give talks to the students to try and drum up interest. I was living in Davis Dorm and he came to talk to us and maybe , maybe 5 people showed up. Caldwell talked with us for at least an hour and had us hanging on every word. I was on board for sure. Too bad it didn't work out with him but as they said back then, "Gentleman Jim will never embarrass your school, except on Saturday."

Yeah, we lost the week before at Duke and I thought that probably did in our bowl chances, but we upset a really good Ga. Tech team the next week at home.

I remember storming the field with my dad as 9 year old. The students were attempting to tear the goal post down and I got a picture with the QB Ben Sankey. I’ll forever remember that night.

I remember storming the field with my dad as 9 year old. The students were attempting to tear the goal post down and I got a picture with the QB Ben Sankey. I’ll forever remember that night.

Yeah, Sankey climbed up and was sitting on the goal post wasn't he?

Yep, that was one of my favorite memories as a kid growing up. I was so damn proud to go back to school and brag that MY DEACS were going bowling.

The scoreboard said "Aloha Bound". Back before there were 50 bowl games teams had a decent idea where they were going towards the last few weeks of the season.

For some reason, Ira Williams was my favorite player for the Deacs when I was a youth.

also on that team was Morgan Kane and I remember discussing a Heisman campaign with rchildress107

And we're doing it at that right time. It's been going on 20 years since Caldwell was coach, our fanbase has had time to get over his on-field results and appreciate the man and how he represented Wake. That's what they should've done with Wellman, have had him Open the Gate 10 years from now when our basketball program has hopefully recovered some, the bad feelings time to have died down and time to appreciate some of the good things he did. However, they parade his sorry butt out there to Open the Gate when they man hasn't even been retired 6 months, forcing all this Wellman appreciation crap down our throats. Wellman Way, the road to no where!

You're planning on exhuming Wellman to open the gate?

You're planning on exhuming Wellman to open the gate?

Well, I don't hate Wellman enough to wish him dead in 10 years, but if God forbid he wasn't around then, so be it. I just think it was the wrong time to shove all the Wellman praise down the throats of our fanbase that have very legitimate issues with how he handled our basketball program.

I left Wake after my Thursday morning class and skipped Friday classes to go camping. I was listening to the GT game on my way back into town and ended up behind the mass of students marching the goal posts back to the quad as I came up University Blvd on my way back to campus.

I left Wake after my Thursday morning class and skipped Friday classes to go camping. I was listening to the GT game on my way back into town and ended up behind the mass of students marching the goal posts back to the quad as I came up University Blvd on my way back to campus.

Was this the last time that we successfully tore the goalposts down? IIRC when we beat BC in 06 the students tried and failed.

Back