• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sage Surrat is unreal....

Has to be the first time ever WF has had a WR that is #2 in the nation at the midway point and #1 in ACC (by over 300 yards!!:bowrofl:) and that is with a below avg. game against a poor BC passing defense. Whether wind or offensive design that game is the only thing keeping Sage from being #1 in the land.

Just an unreal season in how he is able to beat his man regularly and abuse DBs. At least Sam was able to recognize the best weapons he has at his disposal and was able to get it to spots where Sage could show his skills. Just so fun to watch.

And not to take away from the now #3 and #6 WR in ACC in Hinton and Scotty (by avg./game) as they are providing the best WF receiving corps by far in WF FB history. Just an awesome group and hard to believe that this group could have had Dortch if he stayed one more year!!!

WF is now your official WR U. Might be time to get Mr. Higgins a pay bump with the work he is producing.

Yeah and Scotty Washington is also Tied - 4th in the nation (Surratt - Tied 2nd) for Touchdowns.

And Sciba, along with about 15 other kickers, is Tied - 1st with 12/12 or 100%. Get those high snaps down, though!

Newman, with the injury, is now #15-25 in just about everything.

I don't know if Sage will go pro or not but no reason to see why he shouldn't unless he wants his degree. Incredible hands, route running ability off the charts, very high IQ player. I don't know what else he would be building one more year other than name recognition - a box he can easily check off if he keeps playing this way and gets the postseason awards that he should have coming.

I don't know if Sage will go pro or not but no reason to see why he shouldn't unless he wants his degree. Incredible hands, route running ability off the charts, very high IQ player. I don't know what else he would be building one more year other than name recognition - a box he can easily check off if he keeps playing this way and gets the postseason awards that he should have coming.

This is true. And f you.

This is true. And f you.

Good news (for wake, not for sage) is that NFL execs will only see that he's kind of slow (true) and that although he uses his size well in college, the effectiveness of that will be limited in the NFL (he does use his size well, how well he can do that in the NFL is the question)

Good news (for wake, not for sage) is that NFL execs will only see that he's kind of slow (true) and that although he uses his size well in college, the effectiveness of that will be limited in the NFL (he does use his size well, how well he can do that in the NFL is the question)

He's pretty fast for a possession receiver of his size. I agree that the major question is how will he fare against bigger corners, but there's no reason to believe based on what we've seen that he won't continue to dominate.

If he avoids injury he likely ends up with the best receiving season in Wake history. Don't know if it's hyperbole to say that he's already a top 10-15 receiver in Wake history - particularly looking at his skill set and NFL potential.

There aren't many DBs anywhere his size in the NFL. Alshon Jeffrey has had a long career without being fast but being big.

Maybe. He's a damn good deep threat. Maybe Dortch not getting drafted will encourage him to stay.

Maybe. He's a damn good deep threat. Maybe Dortch not getting drafted will encourage him to stay.

Yeah but the flip side is that Sage is a big big dude with an NFL type body which was the knock on Dortch that sent him off the draft boards.

Samuel, Moore, Dortch, Suratt and Washington would be an interesting young NFL WR corps. Small possession guys and big deep threats.

No idea their source, but The Athletic has Sage at 4.56 on his 40

if true, that's plenty fast for a guy with his game

last year, he had a few games where he had trouble getting separation -- has yet to be an issue this year

that said, who is the best DB he has faced or will face?

Sage reminds me a lot of Michael Thomas. He was a 3 star who blew up his junior year at OSU. Not overly fast, but a big body with great routes, great hands, great body control.

Please come back, though.

Sage is more dominant than Givens, Camp, Moore, Dortch, or any other receiver I can remember at Wake. I remember Desmond Clark being a beast but I was pretty young when he was coming through Wake. How does he stack up against Sage?

Can someone rattle off 5 more dominant Wake receivers over the past 25 years? Personally, the game has changed so much, that I don't care about guys who played 50 years ago.

From 1970-75, I'm not sure we had a receiver with as many a 25 catches in a year. I think one year the leader had something like 13 catches for the season.

Ricky Proehl would be the only other one to add to your list in my mind (before my time).

If Jason Anderson had had a decent QB then he would be on that list too.

If Jason Anderson had had a decent QB then he would be on that list too.

Was thinking about Anderson. He had all of the physical tools in the world to be an absolute stud but never broke through. He didn't have an NFL career either, correct?

Wake Forest First Team AP All Americans per the media guide:

Bill George
Paul Kiser
Ryan Plackemeier
Steve Justice
Alphonso Smith

So we've never had a First Team All-American at a skill position.

Bill Armstrong was consensus AA in 1976

Last edited:
I doubt it, but anyone have any idea as to if he wants to go pro after this year? Any insights, Les or Connor?

I don't have any inside knowledge -- even if a decision has already been made, which is incredibly unlikely, it'd probably be announced on Twitter or something.

What I can say is that I'm not sure Sage will be influenced looking at others, i.e. Dortch and Bates. I do feel like Dortch was influenced by Bates in that Jessie left with a low grade and went to the combine, where he vaulted up draft boards. I think Greg thought he'd be able to do the same, but wasn't recovered from the hand/wrist injury and couldn't work out at the combine.

Sage, though, is a pretty independent thinker. Case in point, the hood-only look, which he told me after the game was influenced by seeing Marquise Brown wear one last year at Oklahoma (edit to say I guess he's not the most-independent of thinkers, but still a strange quirk). I didn't know this until reading the story from the Athletic last week, but he and Chazz were something of chess prodigies -- which isn't shocking. Sage is one of the best-spoken players on the team, he's cerebral (which, Harvard, so duh).

So, what I'm trying to say is: If he leaves early, it'll be of his own volition. If he stays, it'll be easy to point to him valuing his degree. You grads would know much better than I, but he's an economics major -- can't imagine that's the easiest of majors at Wake.

Sage is more dominant than Givens, Camp, Moore, Dortch, or any other receiver I can remember at Wake. I remember Desmond Clark being a beast but I was pretty young when he was coming through Wake. How does he stack up against Sage?

Can someone rattle off 5 more dominant Wake receivers over the past 25 years? Personally, the game has changed so much, that I don't care about guys who played 50 years ago.

Comparable size, but I think Sage plays much faster and uses his size much more to his advantage. I don't remember Dez being able to high-point the ball like Surrat can, even though I remember him being a crazy athlete from pickup/IM basketball. That said, with Dez we were running the Caldwell/Rusty/Kuklick shovel-pass offense, so who the hell knows what he would do in the more wide open current system. Decent comparison though I guess.

Last edited:
Back