• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sage Surrat is unreal....

It’s crazy how deep we are. Claude has shown flashes and can’t get PT. Waydale, groulx and greene aren’t sniffing PT and latter two will RS. We’re going to bw good at qb and wr for awhile.

We will never know, but I’m hoping that Dortch’s departure is what paved the way for this year’s crop of receivers to break out like they have. Obviously they’d all still be good, but the number of touches and targets would just be different as we constantly figured out how to get Greg the ball.

At least this is what I’m choosing to believe. Because the alternative of Dortch being phenomenal and Sage, Scotty, and even Kendall still dominating to one degree or another just makes me sad at what might have been.

I looked up the yards per catch for some of Wake's top receivers.

1. Ricky Proehl - 15.7
2. Sage Surratt - 15.6
3. Chris Givens - 15.2

That stat isn't everything, but for a guy that isn't supposed to be real fast, that's pretty impressive.

You mean Proehl?

Chazz graduates from Carolina and transfers here for his final year. Sage stays one more year to have a chance to play with his brother again.

That’s actually a pretty cool idea

The primary impetus for the defenseless receiver was injuries not because it looked cool.

Of course that was the primary PR spin, but it was bullshit. WRs got injured for decades and nobody gave a damn. Obviously the injuries play a big role bc the WRs can't make those catches if they are injured, but it goes hand in hand. It wasn't a coincidence that Moss started Mossing people and then all of a sudden those rules come into effect. Dlinemen get their knees blown out every week but you can still cut block assuming no upper engagement. Why - bc a Dlineman stuffing the run doesn't look as cool as a WR Mossing someone.

The Surratts are from not far from me. There was a billboard advertising a orthodontist and the Surratt brothers - and their smiles provided by this orthodontist - were the focus of the billboards. I can't remember, but basically it was their smiling faces (as like 8-9th graders) and some sort of slogan like "get a smile as pretty as Sage and Chaz Surratt! Come see Dr.......". I always thought that was weird, advertising kids that young as though they were already celebrities - based on their reputations as young athletes. Although they already were well-known around the Lake Norman-Denver-East Lincoln area.

And Jason Anderson isn't a decent comp because Jason Anderson couldn't catch.

yeah, some serious revisionist history on Anderson by his contemporaries at Wake around here

You all know this information is readily available on the official website right? Anderson is one of our top WR of all time especially in TDs and yards per reception, the areas where Sage succeeds.

People remember him as a disappointment because we thought he had such a high ceiling but that’s the revisionist history. Remember the “I ran like I stole something” catch in the Virginia game?

b89081f68c2f2f143496bb02bab73bdd.jpg

Then who is your best Wake comp? Who am I missing for Wake who was a tall deep threat and led the country in receptions for a 6-1 Wake team?

Last edited:
To be fair we also play in an offense that runs a ton of plays (and looks to throw the ball frequently) in arguably the most pass heavy era of all time.

I think Surratt is still better but that’s an appropriate caveat.

Tweeted this out but also saw today that T-Bo is the all time Wake leader in touchdown catches for running backs

Then who is your best Wake comp? Who am I missing for Wake who was a tall deep threat and led the country in receptions for a 6-1 Wake team?

So what you're saying is there's not one.

Reasonable comps are Todd Dixon, Jason Anderson and Marshall Williams. Williams was not that great, but seemed like a larger receiver, too.

There aren’t reasonable comps. Sage is the best receiver at his height and size on a good Wake team ever

Surratt seems to be battling to make a lot of contested catches. With his size he ought to be able to create a little bit of space off the line. Could be an issue of not getting separation from the DB speedwise or route running. Or maybe his quarterbacks aren't as accurate as they need to be.

Surratt seems to be battling to make a lot of contested catches. With his size he ought to be able to create a little bit of space off the line. Could be an issue of not getting separation from the DB speedwise or route running. Or maybe his quarterbacks aren't as accurate as they need to be.

It seemingly looks like it’s on purpose, but Newman consistently under throws/targets the back shoulder of Sage because he can make those grabs.

Again, Desmond Clark. Similar body size, similar athleticism, great hands, and good enough overall skills to play 12 years in the NFL. Despite great straight-line speed, Jason Anderson couldn't sniff the NFL because, again, he couldn't catch unless the ball hit him in the stomach. If we're holding try outs for a track team then yeah Jason Anderson is your dude so long as you're cool with him dropping the relay baton. But there is no way in hell I would ever compare him to a guy among the national leaders as a WR who we are hoping is a 1st to 3rd round draft pick, that is an insult to Surrat.

We meed to recruit a couple track stars. John Stone, Willie Idelette, Kevin Marion type guys. That seems to be all that's missing on offense.

To be fair we also play in an offense that runs a ton of plays (and looks to throw the ball frequently) in arguably the most pass heavy era of all time.

I think Surratt is still better but that’s an appropriate caveat.

I was just thinking the same thing. Desmond Clark would have been really interesting in this era.

Back