• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's Your Commute to Work?

What's Your Commute?

• Less than 30 Minutes - Car

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Less than 30 Minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Car

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other/Student/Don't work

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters
mine is 25 min on a normal day, 35-45 on a bad day

anything more and I would move.

the golden commute was when i used to drive about 10-15 min

Had the intention of squatting today, but I've walked through my gym about 20x so far and haven't even flipped on the light.

Too busy posting, I guess.

Every day is leg day, bro. The older I get, the less I enjoy squats.

At the risk of being annoying by bringing this up again...

I work in my basement. Commute is however long it takes me to walk down two flights of stairs in the morning and up one flight of stairs in the afternoon.

Used to work for a different firm here in Atlanta and the drive into the office was less than 10 minutes there (at 645am) and about 15-20 back (at 5pm-ish).

I actually miss the little drive sometimes... And it can be annoying to always have access to my work (nights and weekends) just by walking downstairs. I fly around the Southeast a lot (avg 1-3 days/week). But all in all, it is great working from home.

This is pretty much me. Work from home, fly a lot, love it except occasionally struggling to get the break from work and life stuff.

Used to walk ~25 minutes each way to work and now drive roughly the same amount of time. Driving is much worse obviously but not too bad.

Work from home most of the time, but when I go to the office it's 20-25 minutes by car.

Office moved during wedding/honeymoon early this month so it's gone from 8-10 min where I could go home for lunch almost every day to 25-30. Really makes a huge difference when you've fallen into the routine of eating healthy leftovers, couching it, watching a show/ESPN, and letting the dogs out/taking them for a walk. Mostly, I just feel bad for the dogs.

I'm retired, but still do occasional 1099 work for my business partners. I am either in my basement office or in airports and hotels. The nice thing is that when I do need to get out into Atlanta traffic to go to the airport, I can book flights when traffic is at its lightest.

It's been twenty years since I commuted, and I do not miss it one bit.

Since so many here say I don't work and never have, what is a commute?

I'm 25 minutes on the metra plus about 10 minutes of driving to station and walking.

Used to have a job in a suburb outside of Chicago when I lived in the city and it could take 3 hours on Friday coming back to the city. That was rough, but made it through a shit-ton of audiobooks, including the whole game of thrones series.

Last edited:
15 minutes walking. Can’t complain except for those couple of days of year where I get soaked by some huge rainstorm.

I just started taking the train two months ago. It is great. 30 minutes each way. I read a book most days. It is about a 5 minute drive from my home to to the station and then 5 minutes from the station to work. Once or twice I have had to drive to work during this period and it was stressful compared to the train. I would be depressed if I ever had to go back to that.

For a short time I had a 5 minute commute to work. I hated that job, though, so I wished the morning commute was longer. I think a 30 minute commute is ideal.

Could you walk?

Yeah, I suppose I certainly could - it's probably around a mile and a half. But that would effectively keep from coming home every day for lunch - which I started doing when my children were born in order to see more of them and just never stopped - and would keep me from going straight to the grocery store on my way home, which I probably do 3-4 times a week. I live close to where I work, but I'm not in a walkable/urban area.

Live 6.5 miles from work, but it takes 40-70 (sometimes more) minutes.

It’s Atlanta so anywhere from 25 minutes on the weekend to 1.5-2 hours. Usually average 45 minutes.

I walk 50 minutes to and from work. It would take about 35-40 with bus + subway combo, mostly sitting in traffic. It's a good non-workout workout and clears my head both ways.

15-20 min drive, don't mind it at all. Enjoy listening to a podcast or NPR and having "me time" before the chaos of school.

Back