• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's Your Commute to Work?

What's Your Commute?

• Less than 30 Minutes - Car

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Less than 30 Minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Car

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other/Student/Don't work

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters
About 15 minutes each way... here in WS. I teach and then hit the gym several nights each week. Kids are all out of the house so those obligations are gone... although a grandson is on the way in February. 😲😲

They’re doing road construction, so my 10 min commute is now 15.

6 more weeks of this crap.

seems like the entirety of I-40 in NC (at least between the TN border and Winston from what I've seen) is a construction zone.

18 minutes in the morning, 24 in the afternoon. Could be done in 16 during the morning but with the sun currently rising directly over the 40/business 40 merge, people slow down to 10-15 mph which causes back up. Afternoon is currently slower due to bus 40 construction.

seems like the entirety of I-40 in NC (at least between the TN border and Winston from what I've seen) is a construction zone.

Need to be more pedestrian friendly. Eliminate cars.

I’m very fortunate in getting to telework much of the time. When I go in, it’s about 20 miles and will take 25 min with no traffic. 45 min is a bad day. Since I don’t go in often, I just suck it up and go in before rush hour hits. Some people live much further than that. Like 3 hours further.

I’m very fortunate in getting to telework much of the time. When I go in, it’s about 20 miles and will take 25 min with no traffic. 45 min is a bad day. Since I don’t go in often, I just suck it up and go in before rush hour hits. Some people live much further than that. Like 3 hours further.

It's amazing what a brutal commute people in North Texas are willing to put up with in exchange for a big, gaudy house in a new suburb.

20 minutes on the subway and 20 minutes walking. Either 5 or 6 stops on the subway, 5 if I do the steep hill (and end up drenched in sweat) 6 if I want the more meandering hill.

one thing that blows my mind is the people in the suburbs who commute daily to the central city by car when there is a good commuter rail system

I'm at my worst self sitting in rush hour traffic

I work from home, so no real commute unless I get bored - I have a hot desk at a Wework, which is about 25 minutes walking away, or I can just pop into any wework in the city for free coffee. I like the wework model for anyone who travels, have a place to catch up in almost every major city.

20 minutes. 10 minute walk to the subway then 10 minute subway ride (3 stops).

one thing that blows my mind is the people in the suburbs who commute daily to the central city by car when there is a good commuter rail system

I'm at my worst self sitting in rush hour traffic

yeah, why would you want to sit in your car and listen to a podcast/book when you could get on a noisy, crowded, smelly train with obnoxious people

I’m really looking forward to a light rail spur getting extended out towards my area of town but that will be a billion years from now. Pre kids I lived in an area of the city that did have this so it was pretty convenient riding that in as opposed to driving.

As with many things, kids complicate things so for the foreseeable future I’ll need to car commute to be able to pick up/drop them off at their schools and daycares. So I get to use the same 4 lane road that all the further out suburbs and exurbs use to get in.

yeah, why would you want to sit in your car and listen to a podcast/book when you could get on a noisy, crowded, smelly train with obnoxious people

did you mean to post this on the "lectro was right" thread?

also, just a really bad take given that you can do all the above while not driving and the commuter rail lines I've been on are much nicer than city trains

did you mean to post this on the "lectro was right" thread?

also, just a really bad take given that you can do all the above while not driving and the commuter rail lines I've been on are much nicer than city trains

not really, driving isn't that hard.

I would gladly take MARTA if that were an option and read or work on my commute.

I was so frustrated a few weeks ago I was trying to figure out how much it would be to uber there and back.

I retired 17 years, one month and 6 days ago. :) Before I retired, my commute to work was 5 minutes, including walking up a flight of stairs.

Last edited:
23 minutes, give or take a few. I could move the office to walking distance from my house but the current location has its own benefits so we plan to stay here. More than 30 minutes would be miserable.

Back