• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's Your Commute to Work?

What's Your Commute?

• Less than 30 Minutes - Car

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Less than 30 Minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Car

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other/Student/Don't work

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters
Yeah, like ITC isn't noisy, smelly and obnoxious.

also, the people commuting on the commuter rail lines are milquetoast professionals from the nicer suburbs so ITC would be among his people

25 mins door to door on NYC subway. Cab takes about the same amount of time and costs close to $20 each way. I have an unlimited monthly subway pass which costs around $130.

one thing that blows my mind is the people in the suburbs who commute daily to the central city by car when there is a good commuter rail system

I'm at my worst self sitting in rush hour traffic

I take DC metro most days (50 mins door to door) but if I need to make a long-ish personal call, I will drive and make the call on the way home (also about 50 mins). Plus, the morning commute is only 30 mins by car if I leave before 7, which is still not worth it given the traffic rage factor on the way home unless I'm making a call. Plus saving the environment, etc.

25 mins door to door on NYC subway. Cab takes about the same amount of time and costs close to $20 each way. I have an unlimited monthly subway pass which costs around $130.

At what age does one decide they're tired of riding the NYC subway and get the hell out, regardless of savings ? Not a criticism, real question.

I work from home or am traveling. I turned my guest house into my own personal office, I like leaving the house and walking over to the office. It's pretty dope.

I moved in April to reduce my commute time from 30-45 minutes to 10-15 minutes.

At what age does one decide they're tired of riding the NYC subway and get the hell out, regardless of savings ? Not a criticism, real question.

My breaking point will be space when a baby comes along. Subway is the most efficient way to get around NYC. Yes, there are some loonies at times and some people stink but I have become generally immune to them. Not sure the hour commute by Metro North is any better. Downsizing cities is an option I guess.

I know this wasnt aimed at me, but the subways during rush hour are almost all people going to work, its not that big of a deal, unless its raining, then its a disaster. As someone just said, commuting in from Jersey, Long Island or upstate or Connecticut is the same thing, just a different train and longer. The only reason to get out of the city would be the need for more room - I have a 10 year old, the public schools are great, the transportation is easy, everything is close enough by that I don't have FOMO for anything, really.

Feels like we can start a separate thread about subway/public trans stories. I saw no fewer than six dudes whip it out and just piss on the floor on the DC metro. Never during rush hour though - that would've been epic.

Back