• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's Your Commute to Work?

What's Your Commute?

• Less than 30 Minutes - Car

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Less than 30 Minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Car

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • 30+ minutes - Public Transportation

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other/Student/Don't work

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters

CantStandYa

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I have a skewed perspective on commuting as I look for a new job. Currently I drive 20 minutes one-way in a mostly traffic-free setting. The idea of something longer and/or more stressful is brutal.

25 mins one way. Took the new job a couple years ago to reduce it by 30. Living in a rural area has its advantages for sure. I don't know how people fight traffic.

It’s all relative. Mine is about an hour door to desk. Partly because I am going pretty far out of my way to take kids to their daycare. But even on days where I don’t take them and go straight in, it can still be close to an hour if it is when the school buses are on the road.

~45 minutes on public transit

~35 minutes by bike

I don't mind a long public transit commute if I can get a seat (always can now) and there are no transfers -- I get so much more reading done when I take the bus and don't bike

At the risk of being annoying by bringing this up again...

I work in my basement. Commute is however long it takes me to walk down two flights of stairs in the morning and up one flight of stairs in the afternoon.

Used to work for a different firm here in Atlanta and the drive into the office was less than 10 minutes there (at 645am) and about 15-20 back (at 5pm-ish).

I actually miss the little drive sometimes... And it can be annoying to always have access to my work (nights and weekends) just by walking downstairs. I fly around the Southeast a lot (avg 1-3 days/week). But all in all, it is great working from home.

My commute is about the same whether I drive or ride the light rail. I prefer the light rail as it lets me read and avoid the stress of driving

Door step to Door Step 34-36 minutes to work, 38-40 minutes home (usually catch a few more traffic lights in the afternoon), it's 33.5 miles each way
That doesn't include stop offs at daycare, fortunately daycare is, for all intents and purposes, in our neighborhood so it's not out of the way, but it does take at least 5-10 minutes to gather all their crap and get them rounded up and buckled in. Usually my wife will drop them off and i'll pick them up.
might have the opportunity to move my office in the coming years, in which case I will be able to cut at least 10-15 minutes each way, if not a whole lot more (depend on where I move it)

~45 minutes on public transit

~35 minutes by bike

I don't mind a long public transit commute if I can get a seat (always can now) and there are no transfers -- I get so much more reading done when I take the bus and don't bike

Is the biking enjoyable though?

At the risk of being annoying by bringing this up again...

I work in my basement. Commute is however long it takes me to walk down two flights of stairs in the morning and up one flight of stairs in the afternoon.

Used to work for a different firm here in Atlanta and the drive into the office was less than 10 minutes there (at 645am) and about 15-20 back (at 5pm-ish).

I actually miss the little drive sometimes... And it can be annoying to always have access to my work (nights and weekends) just by walking downstairs. I fly around the Southeast a lot (avg 1-3 days/week). But all in all, it is great working from home.

I work from home too. Love the freedom and ease of the "commute" but I do miss heading into an office sometimes. Maybe once or twice a week, if I had that option. When I did have to head into an office, my commute was about 30 mins by car each way. Not bad at all.

Is the biking enjoyable though?

the biking is great when the weather is good and most of it is along Lake Michigan and passes some of Chicago's best beaches

biggest issue is that we don't have showers at work and the bike is about 8 miles, so I'm almost certainly gonna be sweaty

office is super casual, so not a big problem, just a comfort thing

the best part is the post-work commute home -- good way to transition from the office

My morning commute dropped from 35 mins to 20 mins over the weekend thanks to NCDOT opening the first continuous flow intersection in NC. However, my afternoon commute has increased from 35 mins to 50 mins because apparently I leave at the same time as all the millennials attempting to navigate said continuous flow intersection, and each day at least one of them has failed to realize that you don't ignore the road signs to instead follow Google Maps' directions if it is telling you to turn head-on into oncoming traffic.

About 10 minutes or less via bike, about 20 walking.

I don't think I've driven to work on a weekday in 14 years. If I've had to come in on the odd weekend I've gotten lazy sometimes because it's easier to park on campus.

Tough for me to imagine anything else at this point.

Last edited:
I'm about 45 minutes door to door. Longer in the afternoons if there is a wreck on 40, especially with biz 40 currently down. I enjoy the "me time" of the commute.

10 minutes during rush hour. Would be about 5 minutes this time of day.

I would love to be able to get a workout in on my way to and from work.

I would love to be able to get a workout in on my way to and from work.

Had the intention of squatting today, but I've walked through my gym about 20x so far and haven't even flipped on the light.

Too busy posting, I guess.

30 minutes each way except for the summer when my commute is nonexistent because I’m at least on call 24/7 and live on site.

driving, 25-30 in the morning, 30-45 in the afternoon

commute is probably about to suck as they begin to expand 26 between AVL and Hendersonville

Back