• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-2021 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Welcome to the LaGordo Era

Love it when teams are trying to tank and the players subvert the strategy by out-playing expectations. Good for the Hornets.

Crazy OT win last night after being down by 19 against the Pacers, including being down by 11 in the 4th. Washington got kicked in the nads and was in the locker room for most of the second half after scoring 16 on solid play. From that point Borrego did not sub and rolled with the same strange lineup through most of the 4th and the entire overtime - Graham, Rozier, Cody Martin Graduates, Bridges, and Biyombo. Graham scored a career high 35 and got to the rim at will. Rozier was a little wild, but scored 22 and played tough D. Biyombo was a beast on the offensive glass.

And Cody Martin Graduates, though I ripped him and his brother after that TWolves game, is fucking ridiculous on D and the glass. After single-handedly winning the Warriors game the other night in about a 2 minute stretch of defense, dude played 33 minutes last night with 0 points (0-2), but 11 rebounds and 3 assists and is an attack dog on D, for a +27. He is like a more athletic, better defensive, but worse offensive, MKG, if that is even possible. He is on the floor after every loose ball no matter where it is. Kind of like when Tony Allen came into the league. He gets to the rim pretty easily but looks super nervous, I think he'll start converting pretty soon with more minutes. Borrego said in the post game presser that he just couldn't take him out of the game as he covers up for so many other mistakes. We'll see how that plays out over the next few weeks.

So Kemba rolls into town tomorrow, for what I think everyone expected would be a somber send-off. But I'll admit, though they absolutely suck at various times throughout every game, this team is damn fun to watch. And Devonte Graham, while not exactly an All-Star just yet, has shown he is a legit NBA starter at PG with an extremely bright future. And the team seems to play best when he and Rozier are on the floor together as both can create their own shot and Devonte is a better distributor. I thought that it might be too small of a backcourt, but Rozier plays D much bigger than his size, and Devonte is a strong defender as well.

Thought for sure Martin had the steal on Brogdon late in OT when he was isolated against him, but Brogdon recovered and got the pass to Lamb who hit the big shot to tie the game in his return to Charlotte. Then Graham gets a fortunate foul call on the "drive" on the other end (where he is somehow awarded 3 foul shots, haha), and converts the FT's for the win (while, I think, purposefully missing the 3rd one so the clock will run out). Graham finished strong despite taking a hard fall out of bounds where he basically landed on the basketball on his side, looked like it could have easily broken a rib or knocked the wind out of him.

Love it when teams are trying to tank and the players subvert the strategy by out-playing expectations. Good for the Hornets.

The hornets should fall back. Bulls are dreadful with a bad college coach, Kings were in the middle of a weird 0-5 start, warriors had all their best players out and pacers had their 3 best players out

Agree the Hornets will play more to form over 82 games, but heading into the season, some thought that Hornets would be epically bad. It's not like that the Hornets will be in the playoff mix, but looking like the Hornets will play well enough to have fewer ping pong balls in the draft lottery than previously expected. That said, love it when undermanned teams outplay expectations.

According to Ph all they have to do is draft well and everythiing will fall into place.

Agree the Hornets will play more to form over 82 games, but heading into the season, some thought that Hornets would be epically bad. It's not like that the Hornets will be in the playoff mix, but looking like the Hornets will play well enough to have fewer ping pong balls in the draft lottery than previously expected. That said, love it when undermanned teams outplay expectations.

Yes I would have thought it would have taken 30 games before this team would win 4 games, but turns out there are a lot of really bad teams in the league

On my way to make Greedy Kemba feel bad about leaving the new look winning Hornets behind. That's how we roll in this new America.

Malik Monk sucks. Dude is just lost. We need to cut our losses on that one -- no long term contract for $12 million a year. Horrible stat line last night: 22 minutes 4 pts, 2 assists

Rozier also sucks. Draft Cole Anthony and find a way to get rid of him and his contract. Horrible stat line last night, against his old team: 26 minutes 3 pts, 2 assists, 3 rebounds

Biyombo may be the most overpaid person on the planet. $17 million for 14 minutes and 8 pts last night (averaging 12.7 mpg and 6.8 ppg on the year).

Lance Stephenson sighting at the game last night. Not in China.

Overall, the Hornets can't shoot.

It was kinda weird seeing Greedy Kemba play and not have to score all the points.

They definitely can't shoot when Rozier hijacks the offense like he did last night. They have no shot when he not only doesn't play well, but takes everyone else down with him. At this point Graham, Bridges, and Washington are the only players worth keeping, with the jury out on Cody Martin. We'll have a ton of cap room after this season, but this crop of FAs makes it likely that we'll just overpay a mediocre player; hopefully they'll just sit on the cap space.

Nice tribute to Kemba, and it was cool to see him openly cheering for the Hornets, especially Graham, while he was sitting on the bench. I still don't get the decision to not sign him. They are going to spend the next 4 years trying to sign a lead player like Kemba to go with Graham, Bridges, and Washington (while drastically overpaying Rozier), when they could have just resigned him for market value. It didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense now. The odds of them finding a superstar better than Kemba in the draft as a result of tanking, and/or luring a FA better than him with the extra cap room they have from not signing him, are extremely low.

Here is the tribute video for those who didn't see it:

It was weirder seeing Kemba’s mom at the game in a different jersey than Kemba

As long as MJ has a say in personnel, the team won't be better than a ceiling of .500.

In his years in DC or Charlotte, where can you show me to be wrong?

Why is it so important for you to deliver this same message every time there is new discussion on this thread ?

MJ is the best GM ever. Feel free to pm me your arguments RJ

taking one for the team fellas

Back