• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-2021 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Welcome to the LaGordo Era

Beating the Wizards is a "strong win"? :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Gotta like Devonte being a younger bigger version of Kemba.

Fun fact about Devonte Graham:

He went to Broughton HS in Raleigh and committed to App. State out of HS. Rather than go to App, he took a PG year at Brewster Academy and got an offer from KS. The rest is history.

hell yes baby 8 seed for LIFE

Don't be all pissy that we found a better PG in the second round than the Sixers did with their two #1 overall picks used on PGs. But hey, if Simmons plays full time for another 100 years he may make as many 3s as Devonte has in 27 games.

I agree with townie. We can develop our young star point guard and interesting young pieces like Bridges and PJ without selling out for yet another pathetic chase of the 8th seed. That’s what the Hawks are currently doing with Trae Young. The hornets keep chasing 34-38 wins and it only ever leads to more 34-38 win seasons. I’m completely done with it. I’m only watching games when I get free tickets in the lower level

Don't be all pissy that we found a better PG in the second round than the Sixers did with their two #1 overall picks used on PGs. But hey, if Simmons plays full time for another 100 years he may make as many 3s as Devonte has in 27 games.

I'd take the Sixers problems over the Hornets problems any day. We're basically starting a 6'6" SG, three power forwards, and the largest center in the league. There are spacing and shooting problems. We still have the second most wins, a 7-1 record against the top 6 in the East, and a fairly easy next couple months.

And Devonte Graham looks good! Process! Trust it! Enjoy it!

I agree with townie. We can develop our young star point guard and interesting young pieces like Bridges and PJ without selling out for yet another pathetic chase of the 8th seed. That’s what the Hawks are currently doing with Trae Young. The hornets keep chasing 34-38 wins and it only ever leads to more 34-38 win seasons. I’m completely done with it. I’m only watching games when I get free tickets in the lower level

I don't think we're selling out by letting these guys win 34-38 games. If Devonte, PJ, and Miles + Rozier can win 34-38 with this supporting cast and impending cap room, I'm taking the positives that creates with their development over whatever unknowns we would get in the draft lottery and draft itself that would come from losing 10-20 additional games. We are 6-2 this season in one possession games; we were 6-23 in one possession games the prior 3 years. There is a benefit that comes from winning those games at a young age that outweighs whatever neutered benefit now comes with losing more games under the current lottery rules.

I don't see them making a move that doesn't involve unloading some of the bad contracts, unless it is simply a contract swap that takes on somebody's additional bad year to time with Batum's expiration to pick up another #asset while doing so. We'll have a ton of cap room after this season, but this FA class isn't worth overspending. It makes some sense to delay the cap room another year to pair with Batum's room. And we do have to resign Devonte since he is on a 2nd round deal, but I think he is capped at like 4/$44, which is a ridiculous value for his current trajectory.

Won 4 out of 5 games, with a chance for 5 out of 6 if they can win in Cleveland tonight on the ass end of a back to back. PJ Washington is out through at least Christmas with a broken finger, which sucks. As a result they've started Biyombo and Zeller together for the last two games, which is strange. But it has been relatively effective. Monk had his best game of the season last night in a win against the Kings, going for 23/10/4 and playing extremely aggressive on offense. His problem to this point in his career has been consistency, hopefully he can string together a few games like that.

Currently sitting at 13-17. There were some people (myself included) who questioned whether they would hit 13 wins for the whole season.

Played well as of late, winning close road games in Cleveland and Dallas. Devonte's shooting has cooled off as other teams are focusing their defense on him, but he is still scoring and dishing out assists. He had 27 and 13 against Dallas after 16 and 11 against the Cavs. Rozier, while still an awful decision maker and chucker, has some late game onions and puts up points - 30 against the Cavs and 29 against the Mavs. PJ Washington is the best player on the team, he can score from anywhere on the floor. The Devonte - PJ pick and roll is the best offensive set that the Hornets have had in years. Hopefully it will be a staple for years to come.

The team has some major holes, but they play hard and seem to consistently find some late-game heroics in tight games. Definitely more fun to watch than recent years. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, they do with the expiring contracts (MKG, Marvin, Biz) as we approach the trade deadline. Hopefully not anything involving Love or Drummond. However, Kuzma may be on the block bc he pissed off Lebron which would be very intriguing. The Lakers have a bunch of guys expiring after next year and there are minimal targets this summer, so could take on an extra year of contracts to get Kuzma and line up the cap space with Batum coming off next year. I think they could use both Marvin and/or MKG for their playoff run.

I defer to 2&2 for sure, but the ball movement seems to have slowed down of late. Rozier especially and Devonte some too, but I don't usually see the away games. I go to most of the home games. We just don't get much good out of the center position either IMO.

I think a lot of the suckage can be attributed to Batum and Hernangomez getting playing time. Whether that has been to get them (primarily Batum) ready for the Paris game or a potential trade, I don't know, but the team is significantly better when Cody Martin plays and he has been mostly riding the pine lately. Batum is just garbage and Hernangomez, while decent offensively, is a turnstyle on D. At the end of the day they are losing games but really seeing what they have with the young guys, so playing out what was intended for this season.

Washington, Graham, and Bridges are long-term keepers. Rozier and Martin are serviceable and still pretty young. Jury is still out on Monk and Bacon, Monk definitely shows flashes of greatness but then will disappear for a while.

I think one of Biyombo, MKG, or Marvin gets moved before the deadline, but I doubt for anything of much immediate value. Likely a loser player and a mediocre pick. The one caveat would be if they went through with a Batum for Andrew Wiggins trade. Wiggins is on the hook for 2 more years than Batum at basically the same money, but given his age and talent they might think that they could get him going and his skillset fits what they most need. Both teams have reason to make it happen, but those additional 2 years could be tough to swallow if he doesn't pan out.

I have nothing to add in regards to the hornets because I’ve given up on them, but to think that a team like Charlotte could get Wiggins going is laughable. It’s his 6th seasons. He is what he is going to be at this I'd believe.

You are probably right, which is why they still haven't pulled the trigger on it. I think the TWolves are the one pushing the deal, as they would see getting out from under that contract load as a huge win. That said, he is a 24 year old, 6'7" wing who is averaging 22.4/5.1/3.7. He doesn't fit with KAT to produce winning basketball, but, even if he didn't get going to his potential, that sort of production from the wing is exactly what they need to go alongside Graham, Rozier, Miles/PJ, and hopefully a big like Wiseman. I don't know if they can attract a player like him as a FA, so their thought could be to trade for him already under contract. What they have to be looking at is when Batum's deal is up and they have his cap space, can they use it to sign someone better than Wiggins. If the answer is yes, then keep declining the trade. If the answer is no, then they have to think hard about taking it.

Back