• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-2021 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Welcome to the LaGordo Era

so, the hornets are as bad as predicted?

Nah, I think they've already surpassed projections, at least mine.

Also, if you want to compare bad contracts, Marvin Williams (age 33) is making $15 this year for his 7.0 ppg. James Johnson (32) is making $15.3 this year for his 5.8 ppg.

James Johnson came out of nowhere to score a season-high 22 points in a 118-113 overtime win vs. the Kings, shooting 9-of-11 from the field with six rebounds, three assists, two blocks and four triples in 29 minutes.
Yes, this is the James Johnson that reported to training camp out of shape and unable to complete a fitness test. Credit to him for turning things around though, as it looks like he's officially solidified a rotation spot. Jimmy Butler (hip) being out and Derrick Jones getting poked in both eyes obviously helped, so we're not adding Johnson after just one good game. Just throw him on your watch list in case he somehow finds the form he had a couple years ago.

Jan 20, 2020, 8:18 PM ET
https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball/nba/player/29486/james-johnson

Williams is a UFA after this season. Johnson has a player option at $16 million next year.

I also ran across this nugget. Williams spent 10 years getting an AFAM degree from UNC-CH.

Every summer for almost 10 long years, Marvin Williams has returned to Chapel Hill, taking classes and slowly chipping away at a degree.

Williams was a member of the 2005 men’s basketball national championship team and left North Carolina after one year to enter the 2005 NBA Draft. After years of summer school and some classes during the season, and studying both after practice and on the road, Williams completed his degree in July.

“I knew it would be a long journey,” he said. “But the closer I got the more excited I became. I wanted to finish my degree.”

https://www.dailytarheel.com/articl...-new-path-to-return-through-complete-carolina

Tough to find a better all-around dude in sports than Marvin Williams. Really stresses education, community service, teamwork, leadership, and just general overall being a nice guy. The few times I've talked to him he is super friendly and loves interacting with kids. He has hinted at retiring after this season, I get the sense he'll still live in Charlotte and would love to see him take a community relations role with the organization.

Devonte Graham, PJ Washington, and Miles Bridges all chosen for the Rising Stars game. That is pretty damn strong from the last two draft classes to have 3 of the 21 players (and 3 of the 11 US players).

Marvin Williams to the Bucks after getting a buyout.

Sounds like MKG is likely to sign with the Mavs. Will definitely be rooting for both of those guys in the playoffs - two class acts and good players. MKG is going to be great for a team that can use him correctly.

Not that MKG played at all lately, but now it is fully time for the young guys. Got our first real glimpse of rookie Jalen McDaniels last night and he looked decent, very much in the role of the modern bigman. Thin, extremely athletic, moves well on defense, and can hit midrange shots. He has spent most of the season in the G League and has supposedly been decent. We'll see, as he'll get plenty of run as the small-ball 5 with Marvin gone.

Monk has been on fire recently and seems to be turning the corner on both sides of the ball. He also really should be in the dunk contest. I think he has a team option after this season, and he has to have shown enough lately to have that exercised. Graham, Monk, Martin, Miles, PJ looks like a decent young group to build around.

The young guys got a road win last night at Detroit, who sucks sans Drummond, but I'll take it. Monk, Miles, PJ, and Devonte were all solid. Cody Martin is still in the concussion protocol so Caleb Martin filled in for him and was serviceable - not as good defensively or in transition as Cody but a slightly better shooter.

I am really, really intrigued by Jalen McDaniels. He looks a lot like Jonathan Isaac or Siakim. Really tall and long, super athletic, great handle for his size, smooth release on midrange shots, can hit 3s, and can guard anything from 2-5 on D. I don't follow college bball anymore (fuck you Wellman) so knew nothing about him and looked him up. Looks like he ended up at San Diego State and dropped to the second round because of some offcourt/lady issues, but otherwise was a first round talent. Hell yeah take the risk, granted it has only been 2 games since he got called up from the GLeague, but his upside looks higher than anyone on the team. Last night he played the 3, 4, and 5 competently at various times in limited minutes.

If they hit on him such that the last 2 drafts yielded Bridges, Devonte, PJ, Cody Martin, and McDaniels, all whom look like above-average NBA players, plus Monk from the year before who looks like he has turned the corner, that is ridiculous scouting and drafting. Combine that with all of the cap room we're about to be swimming in, and Kupchak looks like he is doing a hell of a job for the future.

Is there a superstar in that group, like best player on best team in the league type guy?

Maybe MJ should hire Danny to coach. Then, they could become as bad as predicted or worse.

Is there a superstar in that group, like best player on best team in the league type guy?

They are all really young so it is tough to tell. Is there anyone on the transcendent Lebron / Giannis / Durant level? No, because none of them have that historical combo of size, natural athleticism, and skill. Is there someone who down the road could lead a strong ensemble team to a great record and deep in the playoffs like Jokic or Lillard or Kemba or Siakim or DMitchell? It is possible that either PJ Washington and/or Monk could get to that level, but it would take time.

The issue is that, other than Steph who is likely the greatest shooter in basketball history, recently those best player / best team guys are usually 2/3 wing players like Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, Wade, etc. They don't have a potential star at that position - Washington is more of a 4 / smallball 5 and Monk is a 1/2. Graham is a pure 1. Bridges is an above-average wing but I don't see him being an All-Star at this point. McDaniels looks the part but I'm not going to try to make that projection after 2 games at 18 mins/game.

Not sure there's a Ja Morant in this upcoming draft either. East looks young and good for a while, gonna be tough to claw your way up the standings, but seems like some decent young talent is a good way to build rather than overpaying middling old guys.

I bet MJ is drooling over getting Cole Anthony in the draft.

Not sure there's a Ja Morant in this upcoming draft either. East looks young and good for a while, gonna be tough to claw your way up the standings, but seems like some decent young talent is a good way to build rather than overpaying middling old guys.

To be fair, I'm not sure anybody thought Ja Morant was Ja Morant in the draft until after the tournament last year. So many unknowns given the shitshow of college basketball. Wiseman could be good but nobody knows. LaMelo could be good but nobody knows. From the Hornets perspective, given the quality of their young players already, this year will likely be the best/only year of their tank in terms of a top-5 draft pick so they need to nail it.

To be fair, I'm not sure anybody thought Ja Morant was Ja Morant in the draft until after the tournament last year. So many unknowns given the shitshow of college basketball. Wiseman could be good but nobody knows. LaMelo could be good but nobody knows. From the Hornets perspective, given the quality of their young players already, this year will likely be the best/only year of their tank in terms of a top-5 draft pick so they need to nail it.

Ja was a lottery pick by Xmas of last season. He was Top 5 by this time last year.

I will curl into the fetal position and suck my thumb for life if the Hornets draft Lamelo Ball.

Whomever MJ drafts will underperform...

Yet their last 5 first and second round picks in the past 2 years have all arguably overperformed. Plus that guy who he drafted 9th who just signed a max contract this offseason, is in the All-Star game for the 4th year in a row, and is the best player on the team two spots ahead of your Sixers.

One of the best wins of the year last night for the young squad on the road in Minnesota coming back from 18 down without Rozier, Zeller, and Cody Martin. Devonte had 28 and 8 assists, Monk had 27, Bridges had 20, and McDaniels had 10 (all in the first half). Monk was the best player on the floor, including D'Angelo Russell. He and Devonte took over the 4th quarter. They are turning into a fantastic backcourt, their biggest problem is actually Rozier because he is a horrific PG but a decent catch and shoot SG. So one of them has to be on the floor with him at all times or the offense completely shits the bed, so Graham and Monk don't play a ton together. Hopefully Borrego is starting to realize that and adjusts Rozier's minutes accordingly.

4f0e9ua5gqg41.jpg

Back