• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-2021 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Welcome to the LaGordo Era

2&2 Slider To Leyritz

Reaction score
Back by popular demand, here is a new thread for this season. Zero expectations other than a high draft pick. That said, we won our first game last night and looked relatively good doing it. That said, it was the Bulls who are awful as well.

Some positives:
PJ Washington was simply dominant. 27 points on 7-11 threes, setting a new NBA rookie record in a debut. I was worried if he and Bridges would be able to play together, but they did very easily.
The team as a whole set a franchise record by hitting 23 threes.
Devonte Graham is a legit NBA PG, he went for 24 and controlled the game when in there. He clearly learned a lot from Kemba. Bacon also continues to show he is an NBA caliber scorer.
All of the young guys played most of the minutes. The starting lineup was Rozier, Bacon, Bridges, Washington, and Zeller. Marvin, Batum, MKG, and Biyombo rode the very expensive bench.
The team is pretty damn fun to watch. Up tempo, lots of ball movement and shooting.

The negatives:
We got worked inside. Zeller is the only one with any semblance of interior defense at this point. The Bulls suck inside as well, anyone with any post presence will tear us up.
Why is Rozier on this team? It still baffles me. I said it when they got him and will say it all season - Devonte Graham is a better PG than Terry Rozier, and they pay him next to nothing. If the intent was to let Kemba go and rebuild with all cheap youth, then there was no reason to sign Rozier, especially over resigning Lamb for what could have been much less money.

Overall I can't complain with a win. This is likely the only time we are over .500 for the season, so let's enjoy it.

Last edited:
Caught the 4th quarter. Does look like we'll at least have an identity - up tempo and shooting threes. Do not care for purple home jerseys that only have CHA on the front

I'd much rather watch the young guys play and develop than Batum or Marvin. What is the future for Monk? Seems like at the very least he should be a dangerous spot-up shooter.

I just realized Biyombo makes $17 million dollars and got sick.

I'd much rather watch the young guys play and develop than Batum or Marvin. What is the future for Monk? Seems like at the very least he should be a dangerous spot-up shooter.

He just seems to always be in the doghouse. He is a very good playmaker and his defense isn't as bad as it gets made out to be, but he is the first to get yanked when something on the court goes wrong. They really need him on the floor more because the Rozier / Bacon combo can bring the ball movement to a halt.

Batum should never see the floor again. Marvin played well in limited minutes off the bench, hopefully that is his role going forward and as a veteran leader in practice.

Last night was really fun for six minutes, moderately entertaining for a half, and then a disaster in the third quarter

I’m cautiously optimistic about what this team could be in 2-3 years once they’re rid of these terrible dead weight contracts. Graham looks legit. Miles and Washington could be a nice duo. Bacon might be pretty good as well. Hoping for a top 3 pick that the franchise doesn’t screw up.

Last night was really fun for six minutes, moderately entertaining for a half, and then a disaster in the third quarter

Yeah, looked good for a while then wheels came off. As I said, we have zero post defense and KAT just tore us a new one once the Wolves realized all they had to do was feed him down low. No answer whatsoever, especially with Zeller out.

The Martin twins are horrible, and having them both out there together is double the ineptitude. Devonte continues to make the Rozier contract laughable, and PJ had his first of what appear to be many double doubles.

Not sure I understand Borrego's handling of MKG at this point. He is the one guy out of the vets who is still young, on a reasonably bad but expiring contract, and pretty productive when out there. If nothing else, let him play to establish some trade value for him to a contender who would want both his production and contract situation in a trade for some #assets. He is better than the Martin clownshow.

Next 4 games on the road at Lakers, Clippers, Kings, and Warriors. Staring down the barrel of 1-5.

Played well for most of the game against the Lakers but just ran out of gas at the end of the 3rd into the 4th, and as expected the refs didn't do us any favors with Lebron and AD on their home court. Zeller had one of his best games in years, but AD still ripped us apart. Bridges had a career high and played excellent defense on Lebron. Devonte played well again. PJ Washington seemed to be a little star-struck. Had a solid game for a rookie but down from his prior two. He also needs to defend and rebound better. Granted last night a lot of it was against Davis, but in general I've not been impressed by his rebounding or post defense, when I thought coming in that those would be his most developed skills.

Rozier again was okay. He plays hard and tough but just isn't that good. It is frustrating because if you plug Kemba in with all this other young talent (as I was saying they should do in the offseason), then this team would be halfway decent.

Hung with the Clippers for a while but ran out of gas again. Zeller continues to play well and Monk had his best game of the season so far. This team is pretty fun to watch, they play hard but just don't have the horses. They really need a reliable wing scorer and some post depth. Never know what you are getting from Bacon and Monk from game to game. I think they are both still only like 21 or 22 so hopefully one or both will start to gain some consistency, but it will be a struggle until that happens if it happens.

I also don't get Borrego putting Rozier and Bacon on the floor together, it goes completely against his ball movement strategy. Both guys are relative black holes on offense. Graham and Monk are both better with movement, one of them should be out there at all times.

On that note it must be asked. If the Warriors are done, is there any reason for Steph to keep hanging out there? He is under contract for 2 more seasons after this, at basically the deal we were looking at for Kemba but shorter. We have a shitton of expiring contracts we could send their way. Just sayin.

You're kidding aren't you?

The Warriors are missing their second best player. Next year he'll be back.

What on Earth could a totally failed franchise offer Steph?

Further, Steph and Ayesha Curry are getting into TV and film in a big way. Charlotte has nothing to offer in this arena either.

Maybe, MJ can get a time machine and be 28 again.

RJ’s bitter hatred of the Hornets is weird.

Why are the Martin dudes from state on the hornets, they suck. They actually got some playing time too.

Because it doesn't exist. I'm neither bitter nor do I "hate" the Hornets. Luckily, I live in a neighborhood where people pick up after their dogs or I'd be more concerned about stepping in dog shit than I am about the Hornets.

It's a fact the Hornets are a bad franchise and have been for a long time.

It's a fact that Steph and Ayesha Curry are growing a media company in CA. This would be much more difficult in NC.

It's also a fact that the Warriors wouldn't consider trading Curry for expiring contracts. This is especially true when the Dubs have just opened the most expensive arena in the NBA.

There's nothing "bitter" or "hateful" to acknowledge reality. But it's so much easier to be simplistic and wrong than to think a little 06. It has been your MO for years.

True.
2&2's post isn't crazy given all of his and his family's ties to the team and the area. Not likely, but not crazy.

Back