• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-2021 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Welcome to the LaGordo Era

Presuming he wanted the most money possible, wouldn't the Hornets have been better signing Bogdonavic to a 4/80 deal than the deal for Hayward?

You could make that argument, but I don't know if there is a clear answer. They aren't really similar players other than the obvious factor. Hayward is a better defender, more athletic, better handler, better distributer, and has more experience winning. Bogdonavic is the better pure scorer and probably a better shooter at this point. Assuming healthy, I think Hayward is a better fit with the rest of the roster given its age and experience level.

You could make that argument, but I don't know if there is a clear answer. They aren't really similar players other than the obvious factor. Hayward is a better defender, more athletic, better handler, better distributer, and has more experience winning. Bogdonavic is the better pure scorer and probably a better shooter at this point. Assuming healthy, I think Hayward is a better fit with the rest of the roster given its age and experience level.

This statement falls immediately into Ms. Lincoln at the play territory. Its like saying "assuming that LaMelo's dad is not a distraction."

Yeah, I don't disagree. The health concerns me much more than the money. If he is generally healthy then the money doesn't bother me relative to where the team is as a whole with regard to cap space. But it is certainly a big if.

November 29, 2020 – Charlotte Hornets President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that the team has acquired forward Gordon Hayward, a 2023 and 2024 second-round draft pick from the Boston Celtics in exchange for a protected 2022 second-round draft pick as part of a sign-and-trade transaction between the two teams. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

https://www.nba.com/hornets/hornets...future-second-round-picks-sign-and-trade-deal

Still not sure why they waived Batum though. Guess we'll learn.

Last edited:
I'm really liking what I've seen so far. Last night was the first preseason game where the G-Leaguers didn't play the bulk of the second half, Borrego played it like the 3rd NFL preseason game with rotation guys playing the full game (though the second unit and not the starters closed it out).

It looks like he is going with a 12-man rotation of [tier 1] Graham, Rozier, Gordo, PJ Washington and Zeller, then [tier 2] LaMelo, Monk, McDaniels, Bridges, Biyombo, with both Martins filling in as needed for defense and ball handling within both groups. Cody Martin started for Gordo last night, but I think he would have played if it was a regular season game.

LaMelo and McDaniels have probably been the two most impressive players in the preseason based on expectations. LaMelo is going to be really, really good. His handling and passing is already ridiculous, and his shot isn't as bad as I was expecting. It looks ugly, but it isn't like Simmons or Fultz where he just sucks at it; he takes some really bad shots where he is 4 feet behind the 3pt line falling backwards and sideways for no reason while hoisting from his hip like he is in a video game, but when he actually sets his feet and moves into the shot he makes it. The issue with him seems to be more shot selection than the shooting itself. Also even over just 3 games he is attacking the rim more to score, which opens up lots of room for his passes. If he forgets about the 3 for this season other than when completely wide open and just works on driving to score or pass, with his size he'll have a monster year especially against other second units. Even in the halfcourt his passing is amazing and he rarely turns it over given the volume of crazy passes he makes. When he is on the floor, especially with Bridges, it seems like a highlight waiting to happen.

McDaniels has all the physical tools and seems to be putting the actual skills together. At 6'10", with his ability to hit 3s, handle the ball, and run the floor, he could be really productive. It looks like he has added 15 lbs or so, which has increased his confidence and play around the basket.

I'm not sure i like what they are doing with PJ Washington, he is handling the ball more and it seems like they are trying to make him play an alpha dog role. he doesn't seem super comfortable doing it, and with this many facilitators on the team I'm not sure if it is the best use of his talents. Graham, Ball, Rozier, Monk, Gordo, and the Martins can all set him up, I don't know why Borrego wants to force him into initiating offense as well. Let him post up and pop out for 3s to finish, not run the offense through him.

This is the most individual talent they have had since Shinn moved the team. But the majority of it is really young, we'll see how Borrego gets them to play as a unit.

Great start to the season! 0-2 against the two weakest rosters (not including Hornets of course) Too soon to be completely out on a season?

Let us not ignore this dunk in the Hornets' first win of the season.

EqS387eXIAIy8o-

22-8-5 for LaMelo tonight, including 4-5 from 3, in a rout on the road against the Mavs. Bridges with 20 and 16 off the bench, with 4 made 3-pointers as well. Apparently the Hornets plan is to play up (or down) to the level of competition this year.

Ugh. The Hornets ruined a great court and great uniforms in one fatal swoop. UGLY

Decent first half but damn these refs have been atrocious. So many bad calls even though there’s no crowd. You’d think they could hear contact better.

Blowout win against the Knicks tonight, over .500 for the 1st time this season (and tied for longest win streak in the league). 34 points for Hayward. 15 of the next 21 games at home.

Glorifying a traitor to support your team...never change 2&2.

Back