• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Rick Pitino is apparently a candidate for the Grand Canyon job. Not sure what his connection is to Grand Canyon, but former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo is leading the GC search.

That would be a huge get. You'd have to think that it would propel them into Wichita State-territory in terms of competitiveness.

What have Slippery Rock and New Mexico Highlands done about their coaches?

UAB fired Rob Ehsan... Andy Kennedy the likely new coach.

See... It just took one firing to break the ice. Now we have a Friday deluge.

Keep it coming!

It seems like Andy Kennedy is the definition of mediocrity. But he is an all time player from UAB.

I still don't understand the concept that coronavirus would stop us from firing Manning. Mid-major schools clearly don't mind based on the 4 or 5 that have now fired their coaches. We expected Monday or Tuesday, and just because the ACC tournament was cancelled doesn't mean that timeline was accelerated.

Goodman says Richard Pitino is getting another year from Minnesota...

Takayo Siddle from State's assistant staff to UNCW.

I still don't understand the concept that coronavirus would stop us from firing Manning. Mid-major schools clearly don't mind based on the 4 or 5 that have now fired their coaches. We expected Monday or Tuesday, and just because the ACC tournament was cancelled doesn't mean that timeline was accelerated.

As I posted on the John Currie thread, there is no new sports news. Networks and websites are trying to find anything to talk about and exploit. The NCAAT was just canceled. Danny Manning is one of the top NCAAT legends of all time. Firing him as that happens is a low hanging fruit story to be covered everywhere.

Having a sad, good guy Danny interviewed ad nausem and replayed constantly could turn a worse light on Wake. Nothing is happening on an ACC/P6 this week regarding coaching. Why make our failure a leading story on every sports network and every sports site?

If we had Dino as our coach, it wouldn't look good, but no one would care. Danny would be a story in the vacuum. It's not worth it.

It would be logical for Currie or a close ally to be talking to the top name coaches during this period. It could make him look better to fire Danny and name our new, big name coach within twenty-four hours. the Danny story would go away. easier next week.

As I posted on the John Currie thread, there is no new sports news. Networks and websites are trying to find anything to talk about and exploit. The NCAAT was just canceled. Danny Manning is one of the top NCAAT legends of all time. Firing him as that happens is a low hanging fruit story to be covered everywhere.

Having a sad, good guy Danny interviewed ad nausem and replayed constantly could turn a worse light on Wake. Nothing is happening on an ACC/P6 this week regarding coaching. Why make our failure a leading story on every sports network and every sports site?

If we had Dino as our coach, it wouldn't look good, but no one would care. Danny would be a story in the vacuum. It's not worth it.

It would be logical for Currie or a close ally to be talking to the top name coaches during this period. It could make him look better to fire Danny and name our new, big name coach within twenty-four hours. the Danny story would go away. easier next week.

You’re suggesting that Currie won’t fire Manning because it will cause the public to reminisce on Manning’s playing days? So Currie will not take an action that will benefit Wake Forest because people on ESPN will talk about it for a week? Really?

If Manning gets fired, nobody will give a shit. Doesn't matter that no sports are happening right now. Maybe we'd get a few more tweets or online articles than otherwise, but your average sports fan couldn't care less.

Honestly, more attention would be paid to the coaching search because there is nothing else to talk about... But reminiscing about "good guy" Danny Manning is not a thing we should worry about. I think anyone who pays even a little attention to college basketball is surprised the guy still has a job.

Apples and oranges, but remember when Willie Taggart was fired after less than two seasons at FSU?

Any "outrage" over that firing lasted about a day (or less)... The story was all about who would be the next coach because people only care about the new new thing.

C’mon, nobody is going to think less of Wake because they fired guy with a 78-111 record (including 30-80 in the ACC) over 6 years, regardless of the timing.

Most people’s reaction will either be a) damn, I didn’t realize Danny Manning was such a shitty basketball coach or b) I can’t believe Wake kept him for 6 years.

The AD should pull the trigger when they’re ready. They have more pressing matters on their plate right now with school basically being cancelled for the year.

You’re suggesting that Currie won’t fire Manning because it will cause the public to reminisce on Manning’s playing days? So Currie will not take an action that will benefit Wake Forest because people on ESPN will talk about it for a week? Really?

This week has nothing else to talk about. There's also no rush to do it this weekend and gives us time to negotiate with a replacement.

Apples and oranges, but remember when Willie Taggart was fired after less than two seasons at FSU?

Any "outrage" over that firing lasted about a day (or less)... The story was all about who would be the next coach because people only care about the new new thing.

It's apples and oranges RE: Willie Taggart. Who had ever heard of him? Was all sports news stopped that week?

I'm not saying in a normal time this would be brought up, but we are far from normal. There would be a thousand stories normally. There are none now.

Realize that there is not much to talk about, so, we keep rehashing the same topics, but if WF doesn't fire Manning its because of... money. Nothing else.

To breakdown the issue:

If Manning's contract expired this year, would WF make any offer to retain him for next year? Obviously, not. Instead of no financial obligation to our current coach, Manning apparently has around $15 million coming to him, guaranteed to be paid over the next 5 years. Apparently, that financial obligation coupled with the current economic uncertainty has put WF in a bind. Blowhards can spout off about how Manning should just walkaway from $15 million or WF should just stroke a check, but that isn't reality.

WF entered into an impossibly bad contract, and Currie obviously wants to get out of the deal, but unless big money steps up and says "I got this", Manning may return. Comparing the WF job to the W. Michigan job or the W. Illinois job where there is either no financial commitment or it tops out at $250K is not comparable.

If WF has the money to buyout Manning (or to continue to pay him not to coach) and hire another candidate, WF will take that step. If not, WF won't.

This week has nothing else to talk about. There's also no rush to do it this weekend and gives us time to negotiate with a replacement.

I mean, yeah, besides a pandemic.

Back