• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

The fightin’ Wes Millers have a good chance to take down Kansas tonight.

Might as well get the Wes to Wake hype machine going early this year.
Also known as: The Magical Donny Ross Crank Yankin' Tour

How many times has Wes failed to do what plenty of other teams have and beat Wake?

Fair enough. I don't blame you.
Still don't think Wes should be our next coach. At least not yet.

Agreed, would I trade him for Manning? Absolutely but that doesn't mean I think he is the best coaching choice for our job, not yet at least

Agreed, would I trade him for Manning? Absolutely but that doesn't mean I think he is the best coaching choice for our job, not yet at least

Yup agreed. There really is a little talent here and there on our team but i think Manning's WAR is like -10. K (or someone else competent) would figure out a way to at least get them to mediocre (vs terribad)

Add Evansville to the list. Walter McCarty suspended for "unwelcome conduct".

And NC A&T State University also has an interim coach.

Yeah. Looks like the carousel is starting to have its tarp taken off and the axles greased up.

McCarty is being investigated for possible violations of Title IX. Not a situation for a long career.

How many times has Wes failed to do what plenty of other teams have and beat Wake?

[Redacted] beat WF as an opposing coach.

That should NOT be a criteria

[Redacted] beat an awful Wake team. Why would we want a coach who can’t be historically bad Wake teams?

[Redacted] beat an awful Wake team. Why would we want a coach who can’t be historically bad Wake teams?

that 06-07 team was more mediocre than awful. They beat a ranked sweet 16 bound Vandy team a couple of games before the AF beatdown.

Tony Bennett lost to an 8 win WF team (worst ever) in 10/11 & again to a 13 win WF team in 13/14.
Tom Crean lost to an 11 win WF team in 15/16 with a sweet 16 bound team
Jim Boeheim lost to an 11 win WF team in 17/18 (also a sweet 16 team)
Leonard Hamilton also lost to that 11 win WF team in 17/18 (elite 8 team)
Mike Brey lost to another 11 win WF team in 18/19
Jim Larranaga lost to WF teams w/ 13, 13, & 11 wins.

point being a lot of good coaches (with much better teams than UNCG) have lost to bad WF teams. Sure most of the above have also beat bad WF teams. Miller is 0-4 vs bad WF teams with 2 of those losses were in his 1st couple of years with bad UNCG teams. The most recent 2 losses were by 3 & 6 points.

I don't really have a opinion on whether Miller would be a good hire, but it seems like his record vs bad WF teams is an insignificant criteria to make a decision.

It's one thing to lose once to a bad Wake team, but doing it over and over is quite different. Add to that, I believe HOF Wes is something like 0-25+ versus Top 25 teams. By accident, a truly good coach would have won one or two.

that 06-07 team was more mediocre than awful. They beat a ranked sweet 16 bound Vandy team a couple of games before the AF beatdown.

Tony Bennett lost to an 8 win WF team (worst ever) in 10/11 & again to a 13 win WF team in 13/14.
Tom Crean lost to an 11 win WF team in 15/16 with a sweet 16 bound team
Jim Boeheim lost to an 11 win WF team in 17/18 (also a sweet 16 team)
Leonard Hamilton also lost to that 11 win WF team in 17/18 (elite 8 team)
Mike Brey lost to another 11 win WF team in 18/19
Jim Larranaga lost to WF teams w/ 13, 13, & 11 wins.

point being a lot of good coaches (with much better teams than UNCG) have lost to bad WF teams. Sure most of the above have also beat bad WF teams. Miller is 0-4 vs bad WF teams with 2 of those losses were in his 1st couple of years with bad UNCG teams. The most recent 2 losses were by 3 & 6 points.

I don't really have a opinion on whether Miller would be a good hire, but it seems like his record vs bad WF teams is an insignificant criteria to make a decision.

well said. personally, miller isn’t my first or second choice but it’s awfully clear he is a solid coach and would be a legitimate hire (unlike someone like ryan odom)

well said. personally, miller isn’t my first or second choice but it’s awfully clear he is a solid coach and would be a legitimate hire (unlike someone like ryan odom)

Wes hasn't done what many other coaches at his level have done, and that is beat a really good team. Through motivation, scheme, emotion, or whatever, many coaches, including Ryan Odom, have gotten their team to beat a top 25 team. A Wes Miller led team won't likely have Stetson and Houston Baptist type losses. I don't see likely wins over top 5 teams based on his existing resume.

Wes hasn't done what many other coaches at his level have done, and that is beat a really good team. Through motivation, scheme, emotion, or whatever, many coaches, including Ryan Odom, have gotten their team to beat a top 25 team. A Wes Miller led team won't likely have Stetson and Houston Baptist type losses. I don't see likely wins over top 25 teams based on his existing resume.

FIFY

Wes hasn't done what many other coaches at his level have done, and that is beat a really good team. Through motivation, scheme, emotion, or whatever, many coaches, including Ryan Odom, have gotten their team to beat a top 25 team. A Wes Miller led team won't likely have Stetson and Houston Baptist type losses. I don't see likely wins over top 5 teams based on his existing resume.

This year, UNCG beat Georgetown on the road. G'town at 10-3 is a projected to be a NCAA tourney team with wins over OK State (road), SMU (road), Cuse and Texas. In 2018, UNCG won on the road at State. That State team went 11-7 in the ACC and made the tournament (FWIW, since the infamous "nut-punch" game on March 6, 2005, WF has won once at State in 14 tries, that includes two loses under Skip and 0-3 under Gaudio). Miller took on a UNCG program that was in the gutter (they were #284 when he took over), with very little resources, and they are now a top 100 team (actually in the 70 to 85 range) for the third year in a row -- with an evolving set of players. That is the ceiling (and probably above the ceiling) for anyone coaching at UNCG. It's no longer a fluke, or a coach riding a single talented player. Not saying Miller should get offered the WF job, just that he has proven he can build a program and sustain it. Miller should be on the candidate list. There are grounds to conclude that Miller could coach on a Power V level and have that team as a regular NCAA tourney participant.

Last edited:
Agree with Pilchard.

Wes isn’t my top pick, but we could do a heck of a lot worse.

I suspect he’ll be leaving UNCG in the next year or two... Somebody will give him a shot.

Back