• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I will be at Wofford this Saturday night to watch Wes and his crew in action. Granted Wofford lost 2 great players to graduation and its coach (Mike Young) to VT, but still retains a good nucleus from the team that won the SoCon last year as well as winning a game in the tourney and pushing KY to the brink in the 2nd round.

It should be an interesting tilt.

I will be at Wofford this Saturday night to watch Wes and his crew in action. Granted Wofford lost 2 great players to graduation and its coach (Mike Young) to VT, but still retains a good nucleus from the team that won the SoCon last year as well as winning a game in the tourney and pushing KY to the brink in the 2nd round.

It should be an interesting tilt.

Not to mention their win at Carmichael this season.

Agree with Pilchard.

Wes isn’t my top pick, but we could do a heck of a lot worse.

I suspect he’ll be leaving UNCG in the next year or two... Somebody will give him a shot.

I agree he'll be gone to a bigger program in a year or so.

The concept of "we could do a heck of a lot worse" is absolutely the wrong take at this point. We have to go big and successful. If we settle again, we might as well leave the ACC.

I agree with RJK. Wake needs a complete ground up rebuild by a proven coach. Someone able to dwarf the past success and failure of WFU basketball.

Currie has made one revenue sports hire and got fired from Tennessee as he was trying to make his second

He hired 55-year-old Bruce Weber at KSU, and tried to hire 55-year-old Mike Leach to UT

Looking at basketball coaches born in 1965, who would be ~55 this spring, I see Jamie Dixon. Definitely out of reach. Also 55:

Bogues_ball.jpg

(I'm not advocating for Muggsy, although he's a great dude and a great Deac)

Currie has made one revenue sports hire and got fired from Tennessee as he was trying to make his second

He hired 55-year-old Bruce Weber at KSU, and tried to hire 55-year-old Mike Leach to UT

Looking at basketball coaches born in 1965, who would be ~55 this spring, I see Jamie Dixon. Definitely out of reach. Also 55:

Bogues_ball.jpg

Thad Matta turns 53 this summer.

Bogues_ball.jpg

Talk about small sample size.

Leach has 17 bowls in 19 seasons as a HC, winning regular season championships in PAC 12 and Big 12. No sense hiring him.

Last edited:
You know who will be 55 in May? Billy Donovan! You think CP3 ended up in OKC by accident? (insert "It's happening!" meme here)

UNC-G goes down to Wofford in double OT. Miller clearly outcoached the new Wofford guy but Wofford was disciplined and never wavered against UNC-G's defensive tactics. Greensboro plays very good defense and forces a lot of turnovers but their shot selection is pretty questionable. It was kind of like watching a mini version of UNC under Dean. Miller worked the refs good and got several calls that UNC always seems to get. This was only Jay McCaulley's (new Wofford coach) 13th game but he and his team hung in even after losing their point guard and best player in 1st OT.

I think the jury may still be out on Wes but I also think this is about as far as he can take UNC-G. If they win SoCon (very possible), I think he will get a better job offer and move on. Wake could do a lot worse than him.

So Wes lost to a newer younger coach who won at UNC but has a worse and that’s a sign that Wes would be a good choice for Wake?

I agree with RJK. Wake needs a complete ground up rebuild by a proven coach. Someone able to dwarf the past success and failure of WFU basketball.

Wake is not getting a proven head coach to come and fix the past 10 years of misery. It would take a ridiculous offer to get a proven coach in his prime to look at us.

The options are an old experienced hand that is past his prime or a young guy on his way up. Oats would have been perfect last year.

Wake needs to find the best young coach with the highest ceiling and hire him. Wes should be in the conversation.

Wake is not getting a proven head coach to come and fix the past 10 years of misery. It would take a ridiculous offer to get a proven coach in his prime to look at us.

The options are an old experienced hand that is past his prime or a young guy on his way up. Oats would have been perfect last year.

Wake needs to find the best young coach with the highest ceiling and hire him. Wes should be in the conversation.

What's the argument that Wes' ceiling is higher than what he's showed at UNCG over 9 seasons? One SoCon Tournament championship in 2018. Finished 1st in the regular season twice. That's it.

What's the argument that Wes' ceiling is higher than what he's showed at UNCG over 9 seasons? One SoCon Tournament championship in 2018. Finished 1st in the regular season twice. That's it.

There isn’t one. I have no idea what the fascination is with him. Other than the fact that we’ve had two consecutive historically bad coaches obviously.

There isn’t one. I have no idea what the fascination is with him. Other than the fact that we’ve had two consecutive historically bad coaches obviously.
The source of the fascination is "Donald Ross"-ian obsession with preference for nepotism disguised as "hiring one of our own."
The pro-Pat Kelsey and pro-Ryan Odom are working off of a similar idea as well.

So Wes lost to a newer younger coach who won at UNC but has a worse and that’s a sign that Wes would be a good choice for Wake?

Ph- you still seem to think the Wake job is a good job, sadly it’s not. Miller could at least build it to possibly mid tier ACC. Dude is no miracle worker but can coach circles around Manning.

Back