• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Have loved Jordan for a couple years now. It's too late now. He's too good for Wake.

I think people here are underestimating the opportunity to coach in the ACC

that said, if any reports about Danny's guaranteed money are close to correct, we're gonna have a cash problem for the next guy, which changes the pool of potential coaches

that said, if any reports about Danny's guaranteed money are close to correct, we're gonna have a cash problem for the next guy, which changes the pool of potential coaches

The question on the cash problem is nobody knows how Danny's contract is structured. If Manning is fired, does Wake owe him the balance immediately or is Wake simply obligated to continue paying him per the contract until it is paid in full? A big lump sum would be much harder to manage than the obligation to keep the checks flowing until 2024.

This is a coaching speculation thread.

So, many of the mentioned candidates: a) might decline a WF offer; b) not get a WF offer depending on who else is interested.

Before VT hired Buzz Williams, I was surprised Buzz left an NCAA tournament level Marquette program for the complete disaster that was VT basketball at the time (the three previous years to VT hiring Buzz, they went 4-12, 4-14 and 2-16 in the ACC); at the time, it appeared like VT may never be able to compete on a high level in the ACC. You know never know unless you ask.

An open head basketball coaching job at Wake will be attractive to many qualified candidates. Currie's job will be to select the best one.

This is a coaching speculation thread.

So, many of the mentioned candidates: a) might decline a WF offer; b) not get a WF offer depending on who else is interested.

Before VT hired Buzz Williams, I was surprised Buzz left an NCAA tournament level Marquette program for the complete disaster that was VT basketball at the time (the three previous years to VT hiring Buzz, they went 4-12, 4-14 and 2-16 in the ACC); at the time, it appeared like VT may never be able to compete on a high level in the ACC. You know never know unless you ask.

He detested the AD at Marquette. That's why he left.

The question on the cash problem is nobody knows how Danny's contract is structured. If Manning is fired, does Wake owe him the balance immediately or is Wake simply obligated to continue paying him per the contract until it is paid in full? A big lump sum would be much harder to manage than the obligation to keep the checks flowing until 2024.

First of all, we don't give flying fuck what you think. RJ said what he is saying. He's not going into any further details but the buyout thing is RUSE.

Here's words he may only use 1-4 times in a year - "SOURCE". RJ knows his SOURCE and this SOURCE has never been wrong about anything Wake.

BTW, my thumb isn't your nose.

What's the argument that Wes' ceiling is higher than what he's showed at UNCG over 9 seasons? One SoCon Tournament championship in 2018. Finished 1st in the regular season twice. That's it.

Fine. It does not need to be Wes but that is the kind of guy Wake needs to hire. Wake needs someone young and on the way up that can coach.

I have only seen UNCG play a couple of times but they looked to be well coached but not all that talented. They played really inspired defense.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to recruit to UNCG. It is one of the lesser directional schools in North Carolina. At least UNCW or App have the beach or the mountains as a lure if you like that kind of thing.
If I were a talented basketball player, I cannot imagine any pitch that would get me to consider UNCG.

I want someone young and smart whose life passion is coaching basketball. The opposite of BZ and Manning.

Fine. It does not need to be Wes but that is the kind of guy Wake needs to hire. Wake needs someone young and on the way up that can coach.

I have only seen UNCG play a couple of times but they looked to be well coached but not all that talented. They played really inspired defense.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to recruit to UNCG. It is one of the lesser directional schools in North Carolina. At least UNCW or App have the beach or the mountains as a lure if you like that kind of thing.
If I were a talented basketball player, I cannot imagine any pitch that would get me to consider UNCG.

I want someone young and smart whose life passion is coaching basketball. The opposite of BZ and Manning.

Agree. Want WF basketball to play harder than anyone in the ACC. Not hung up on the extent of the coach's accomplishments depending on the situation where the next coach comes from. Bringing UNCG from among the worst in the country to a consistent top 100 level is an accomplishment that should/would translate to bringing WF to a consistent NCAA tourney level. That said, all for hiring someone else (e.g., Lavalle Jordan) if WF can lure them. Saying Wes Miller should be on the list is a long way from saying that WF should hire him.

Yep. The cash problem is really the only thing I'm concerned about.
The uncertainty about that stupid contract to Manning is the only thing that could/will hold us back.
Wake is STILL a high level job: it's in the ACC. It's a High Major. Basketball is a quick turnaround if you can recruit/are a good game planner.

I don’t know why it would be harder to recruit to UNCG than small private schools in Spartanburg and Greenville, SC or an actual directional school in Tennessee or a state school in Chattanooga. UNCG is in a fine city, down the road from A&T and not too far from several other cities. They play a good noncon schedule.

An open head basketball coaching job at Wake will be attractive to many qualified candidates. Currie's job will be to select the best one.

Will it though? We have been irrelevant for a decade. We didn't attract a top coach in 2010 coming off multiple NCAA appearances. I understand Wellman likely zeroed in on his buddy, but I have no reason to believe Wake will be a top destination if Manning is fired.

Will it though? We have been irrelevant for a decade. We didn't attract a top coach in 2010 coming off multiple NCAA appearances. I understand Wellman likely zeroed in on his buddy, but I have no reason to believe Wake will be a top destination if Manning is fired.

The biggest myth on the board over the past decade was that the 2010 was Wellman's buddy and that he zeroed in on him. He was a 4AM drunk girl at the bar pick after multiple people turned us down.

Depends on how "top destination" is defined. Linked below is the coaching database with salaries for most of the mid major coaches. Outside of Mark Few's $1.7 million salary, no mid-major coach is making more than $700k a year, and potential candidates like VCU's Mike Rhoads ($459K), UCI Russel Turner (#364K), Vermont's John Becker ($318K), ETSU Steve Forbes ($400K), Wes Miller ($301K) make so much less than what WF can offer that WF would have its pick of any non-power conference coach on ability to pay alone. Agree that if WF wants to hire away a coach from a current Power 6 conference then money alone may not be enough to lure the candidate.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

The biggest myth on the board over the past decade was that the 2010 was Wellman's buddy and that he zeroed in on him. He was a 4AM drunk girl at the bar pick after multiple people turned us down.

All that in less than a week. Wellman was always in love with BZ girl.

Depends on how "top destination" is defined. Linked below is the coaching database with salaries for most of the mid major coaches. Outside of Mark Few's $1.7 million salary, no mid-major coach is making more than $700k a year, and potential candidates like VCU's Mike Rhoads ($459K), UCI Russel Turner (#364K), Vermont's John Becker ($318K), ETSU Steve Forbes ($400K), Wes Miller ($301K) make so much less than what WF can offer that WF would have its pick of any non-power conference coach on ability to pay alone. Agree that if WF wants to hire away a coach from a current Power 6 conference then money alone may not be enough to lure the candidate.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/201...ch-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

https://www.midmajormadness.com/201...ch-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

That only works if we're the only bidder. And even if we are, they could probably bet on themselves and got back for a small bump. If we offer Mike Rhoades $1M when he knows he could get more in a year or two, he'd probably just go back to VCU for $600-700K or so.

Jay Wright makes $7.75M/year in the Big East at Nova. Granted they have a bigger local market than Butler, but if Butler needed to pay their coach over $2M/year, they could.

Back