• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Depends on how "top destination" is defined. Linked below is the coaching database with salaries for most of the mid major coaches. Outside of Mark Few's $1.7 million salary, no mid-major coach is making more than $700k a year, and potential candidates like VCU's Mike Rhoads ($459K), UCI Russel Turner (#364K), Vermont's John Becker ($318K), ETSU Steve Forbes ($400K), Wes Miller ($301K) make so much less than what WF can offer that WF would have its pick of any non-power conference coach on ability to pay alone. Agree that if WF wants to hire away a coach from a current Power 6 conference then money alone may not be enough to lure the candidate.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

This is very wrong. Rhoades is making $1.7 million/year

Source: https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_29b4d86b-dd9c-51b4-89fd-5a3edf5db5d8.html

Grant at Dayton is rumored to be at $1.8 million in compensation this year. This idea good mid-major coaches don't make a lot is false. Big-East, A-10, AAC coaches make money.

Yep. And those coaches aren’t just automatically going to leave for Wake like they would have 10+ years ago.

Wake's past 10 years of being a bottom dweller in the ACC makes recruiting a quality Coach that can actually compete for championships in the ACC a significant challenge. I'm genuinely concerned that the next Coach will continue the fail but it is insane that Wake has allowed proven losers to coach for extended periods of time without any consequences. This type of losing would not be accepted at winning programs with administrations that were really committed to winning.

The biggest myth on the board over the past decade was that the 2010 was Wellman's buddy and that he zeroed in on him. He was a 4AM drunk girl at the bar pick after multiple people turned us down.

Dude, you are cold. Cold.

The biggest myth on the board over the past decade was that the 2010 was Wellman's buddy and that he zeroed in on him. He was a 4AM drunk girl at the bar pick after multiple people turned us down.

The only reason we had to settle for a rhino at 4am is because we got super wasted (Wellman drunk on his ego) and made a fool of ourselves in front of the hotties earlier in the night. Then our only recourse was the anorexic looking, insecure uggo that was Jeffy b

Wake's past 10 years of being a bottom dweller in the ACC makes recruiting a quality Coach that can actually compete for championships in the ACC a significant challenge. I'm genuinely concerned that the next Coach will continue the fail but it is insane that Wake has allowed proven losers to coach for extended periods of time without any consequences. This type of losing would not be accepted at winning programs with administrations that were really committed to winning.

Agreed about competing for conference championships. A good mid major coach that can actually coach should be able to make us at least middle of the pack, bubble team though and honestly at this point I'm ok with that (thanks Ron)

I agree with Yankee that ten years of losing without consequences makes the WFU administrations commitment to winning questionable. Currie will be given this year with Manning. If he fails to act after this year he will be seen as part of a problem rather than part of a solution. Attendance is averaging under 5200 at present. That demands action that a .500 record can't salvage. Anything short of a championship is unacceptable. If Currie is smart he is working back channels for a replacement.

Lack of consequences = Lack of commitment to winning.

Last edited:
Dude, you are cold. Cold.

Just because your wonderful wife picked a 4 AM guy to marry doesn't change anything. :)

Yes, I am Cold. Ask hundreds of our classmates, they will tell you so.

I don’t know why it would be harder to recruit to UNCG than small private schools in Spartanburg and Greenville, SC or an actual directional school in Tennessee or a state school in Chattanooga. UNCG is in a fine city, down the road from A&T and not too far from several other cities. They play a good noncon schedule.

You obviously have not been to that small school in Greenville, SC.

Yep. The cash problem is really the only thing I'm concerned about.
The uncertainty about that stupid contract to Manning is the only thing that could/will hold us back.
Wake is STILL a high level job: it's in the ACC. It's a High Major. Basketball is a quick turnaround if you can recruit/are a good game planner.

A connected but not high source related that the buyout will still not be cheap but will be profoundly lower after this year. That is a painfully delayed difference that we can hope comes to fruition.

I know we will never find out, but if that is true, I would love hear if there was renegotiation in exchange for another year to prove himself.
I’m going on the buyout being absurdly high and continuing to be irrationally high with a small dwindling each year.

Have loved Jordan for a couple years now. It's too late now. He's too good for Wake.

If we can’t lure him away, maybe we can pay Butler’s AD to tell us who they would have hired to replace him.

A connected but not high source related that the buyout will still not be cheap but will be profoundly lower after this year. That is a painfully delayed difference that we can hope comes to fruition.

But is that because he gets paid a profound amount every year?

Looking back at the contract announcement that makes sense. It’s actually blatantly obvious. Back in November 2017, it was a six year contract extension through 2024-25.

This is actually the first year of the extension. So yeah, I can imagine there was a massive buyout if we gave him an extension then fired him before it even started. It makes sense that the buyout would drop significantly after Year 1.

So we had to suffer through two seasons just to get to the bad contract Wellman signed.

Last edited:
I agree with Yankee that ten years of losing without consequences makes the WFU administrations commitment to winning questionable. Currie will be given this year with Manning. If he fails to act after this year he will be seen as part of a problem rather than part of a solution. Attendance is averaging under 5200 at present. That demands action that a .500 record can't salvage. Anything short of a championship is unacceptable. If Currie is smart he is working back channels for a replacement.

Lack of consequences = Lack of commitment to winning.

SHAKA SHAKA SHAKA!

Steve Forbes, Craig Smith, Mikes Rhoades, Steve Pikiell, Bob Richey all guys that would improve Wake

I agree with this and you can or cannot include Miller in with this. Forbes is 54 and while a good coach a little older than I would prefer. Still if its him vs Manning, I'll take Forbes all day long. Richey and Miller are 36 and would be good pickups though the Gamecocks are also probably looking at Richey as they like Wake can't wait to get out from under Frank Martin's horrible contract. If Rhoades is making 1.8 mil he is probably out of the running. Pikiell & Smith are interesting but not from around here. Not saying they can't work but want a younger guy with a lot of fire.

Why not here?!

LET'S DO THIS! :thumbsup:

Hell, Walters would get the kids a few W's.

Why not here?!

LET'S DO THIS! :thumbsup:

Hell, Walters would get the kids a few W's.

Wake doesn't give reasons for why things are the way they are. The only report we have to go on says there were $18 million reasons for Danny Manning being the Wake coach right now.

Back