• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

UNCW will most likely not win another game this year. Really sad situation.

That is pretty rough. I thought they had been one of the better teams in their league just a few years back.

That is pretty rough. I thought they had been one of the better teams in their league just a few years back.

They were until Keats left for State. The new coach hasn't won more than 11 games in a season and they fired him midway through season 3. UNCW has higher standards than we do.

Grant at Dayton is rumored to be at $1.8 million in compensation this year. This idea good mid-major coaches don't make a lot is false. Big-East, A-10, AAC coaches make money.

Big East is not "mid-major", it's a power conference. But point is well taken that there are folks in those other leagues that do make good $.

Big East is not "mid-major", it's a power conference. But point is well taken that there are folks in those other leagues that do make good $.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-22-at-1-26-42-PM.png

Came out small...

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called 'Power Five conferences' (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC)."

Came out small...

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called 'Power Five conferences' (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC)."

Wikipedia's not the most trusted source. Someone needs to edit that first sentence...conflating mid-major in basketball with the "Power 5" phrase which is a football phrase. In basketball it is generally accepted that there are 6 power conferences, Big East included.

Former Butler and Nebraska head coach has named as the Evansville HC. Evansville, who upset KY when they were #1 in November, was previously coached by Walter McCarty, who was fired mid-season.

My impression was that most people consider the Power V football conferences + the Big East to constitute the Power 6 conferences of college basketball. Mid-majors are those schools in conferences just below that. With that said, pretty dumb to consider some Power 6 programs (e.g., Washington State) in any way superior to certain non-Power 6 programs (e.g., Gonzaga). "Mid-major" is lazy designation as there are vast differences in resources, fan support and ability to win between schools even in the same conferences (e.g., Gonzaga v. Pepperdine or Dayton v. Fordham or San Diego State v. San Jose State).

Mid major describes the conference not the teams and is usually related to the number of bids they receive.

Vanderbilt AD Malcolm Turner resigns after less than year on the job.

I guess he spent a ton of money and was a complete disaster.

He fired Bryce Drew last year pretty much right after he got the AD job and hired Stackhouse, who is still 0-fer the SEC.

And their football team also sucks: 3-9 (1-7)

Vanderbilt AD Malcolm Turner resigns after less than year on the job.

I guess he spent a ton of money and was a complete disaster.

He fired Bryce Drew last year pretty much right after he got the AD job and hired Stackhouse, who is still 0-fer the SEC.

And their football team also sucks: 3-9 (1-7)

Turner went to UNC, and was on the advisory board of the UNC Business school; so, naturally the connection to Stackhouse, who when hired had ZERO college coaching experience at any level as even an assistant. Similarly, when Vandy hired Malcolm Turner, he had ZERO experience working in a college athletic department (he had been President of the G League, and worked for a media company managing the golf division). Given the amount of money that Vandy receives for simply being a member of the SEC, saying something to mismanage their athletic budget in barely more than a year on the job.

Turner went to UNC, and was on the advisory board of the UNC Business school; so, naturally the connection to Stackhouse, who when hired had ZERO college coaching experience at any level as even an assistant. Similarly, when Vandy hired Malcolm Turner, he had ZERO experience working in a college athletic department (he had been President of the G League, and worked for a media company managing the golf division). Given the amount of money that Vandy receives for simply being a member of the SEC, saying something to mismanage their athletic budget in barely more than a year on the job.

Vandy waving the white Flagler?

First two post-season coaching casualties:

- Rick Ray out after 5 dismal seasons at Southeast Missouri State (Ray had coached Miss. State before they hired Ben Howland)
- Billy Wright dismissed after 6 seasons at Western Illinois (53-115 .315 record)

Many more to come.

Beilein to SMSU !

We should have fired Manning last week.

Not all that impactful for us, but Loyola Marymount fired their coach...

Isn't their season completely over?

Ours will be Thursday or Friday.

Not all that impactful for us, but Loyola Marymount fired their coach...

I don't know...for some of the coaches people are in love with around here, the WCC would be a big step up conference wise.

I forgot how bad we are and had to play on Tuesday. We have a chance to win that game. If we do, he won't be fired until after the next game.

Back