• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

James Madison just fired Louis Rowe, who was a complete disaster for the Dukes (43-85 conference record).

A long time ago, JMU was a mid-major power, and their athletic department is strong in multiple sports:

- National Champions in Women's Lax in 2018
- 1AA/FCS Football Power (runner-up last year; Natty in 2017)
- Recent NCAA appearances in Men's Soccer, Softball, Women's hoop, volleyball

The school has 21,000 students and a large athletic department budget. Given that it's in the heart of the ACC would think that a coach with an ACC connection might be a natural. FWIW, Wes Miller started out as a player at JMU before transferring to UNC. That said, UNCG is a better job right now than JMU. Would think that JMU might target Radford's Mike Jones.

JMU once hired Lefty Drisell. Maybe they would like to make a splash again and hire Danny

I don't know...for some of the coaches people are in love with around here, the WCC would be a big step up conference wise.

Yeah... Maybe Russell Turner would take a look, but Loyola Marymount hasn't been relevant in a long time. Though I guess the same could be said about Wake Forest.

Wyoming fired Allen Edwards.

Won 20 games his first two seasons, but the last two seasons were horrific.

Maybe he just needed more time... I hear you really turn things around in Year 7.

Wyoming fired Allen Edwards.

Won 20 games his first two seasons, but the last two seasons were horrific.

Maybe he just needed more time... I hear you really turn things around in Year 7.
For a guy with a name that sounds like real estate or investment banking firm, you'd think he'd have done better.

I could see JMU also making a run at Kelsey.
Finally, Loyola Marymount could do a lot worse than Turner. He's gotta be on the short list.

Yeah... Maybe Russell Turner would take a look, but Loyola Marymount hasn't been relevant in a long time. Though I guess the same could be said about Wake Forest.

UCI is a better job than LMU. Plus, if his kids are college age, UCI is a much better school than LMU.

James Madison just fired Louis Rowe, who was a complete disaster for the Dukes (43-85 conference record).

A long time ago, JMU was a mid-major power, and their athletic department is strong in multiple sports:

- National Champions in Women's Lax in 2018
- 1AA/FCS Football Power (runner-up last year; Natty in 2017)
- Recent NCAA appearances in Men's Soccer, Softball, Women's hoop, volleyball

The school has 21,000 students and a large athletic department budget. Given that it's in the heart of the ACC would think that a coach with an ACC connection might be a natural. FWIW, Wes Miller started out as a player at JMU before transferring to UNC. That said, UNCG is a better job right now than JMU. Would think that JMU might target Radford's Mike Jones.

Redford just won the Big South regular season, along with the might Pat Kelsey, so if Mike Jones (who?) Mike Jones (281-330-8004) wants to go somewhere it wouldn't be JMU, but likely a major P5 job like Georgia Tech!

UCI is a better job than LMU. Plus, if his kids are college age, UCI is a much better school than LMU.

Completely agree... But for whatever reason, it seems like the LMU job is viewed as attractive. Much better conference.

But probably a lateral move for Turner.

Redford just won the Big South regular season, along with the might Pat Kelsey, so if Mike Jones (who?) Mike Jones (281-330-8004) wants to go somewhere it wouldn't be JMU, but likely a major P5 job like Georgia Tech!

Back then, they didn’t want him... Now he’s hot, they all on him.

Back then, they didn’t want him... Now he’s hot, they all on him.

IIRC, Jones agreed to a nice extension after last season, taking advantage of his name being tossed around as a hot coach. Radford is having money issues so they likely won't fight too hard to keep him this time around. JMU is about to open (or just did) a new arena so it may be an attractive spot for Jones and others.

Familiar names said to be interested in the JMU job are Cory Alexander (a native of that general area of VA) and Tim Legeler.

Grand Canyon fired Dan Majerle tonight... So it can happen.

Goodman had a tweet saying it was tone deaf, though.

I still think it’ll be early next week that matters...

Inconvenient? Yes. Tone deaf? No.

Good to see somebody is firing former NBA players turned college coaches though. One bad season after four 20 win seasons and he got canned.

Grand Canyon fired Dan Majerle tonight... So it can happen.

Goodman had a tweet saying it was tone deaf, though.

I still think it’ll be early next week that matters...

Majerle had a record of 136-89 at Grand Canyon. How dipshit is still employed is incomprehensible

Majerle had a record of 136-89 at Grand Canyon. How dipshit is still employed is incomprehensible

He had four straight 20 win seasons and his last season (13-17) was better than Manning's second best season. So it's possible to fire ex-NBA players who underperform.

Rick Pitino is apparently a candidate for the Grand Canyon job. Not sure what his connection is to Grand Canyon, but former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo is leading the GC search.

Back