• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Stackhouse is doubling down on the lack of experience on his staff. Bold (and questionable move) coming off a 11-21 (3-15 season; with a projected NBA 1st round pick - Aaron Nesmith).

Is he another Danny Manning, because it sure looks like it. I really don’t know and probably shouldn’t be making that comparison because I can’t remember the last time I watched a Vanderbilt game. Also, Is it Vanderbilt or Missouri who has the super weird court that has the bench on the baseline?

He was a very hot name a year and a half ago. He might be better as a pro coach.

Is he another Danny Manning, because it sure looks like it. I really don’t know and probably shouldn’t be making that comparison because I can’t remember the last time I watched a Vanderbilt game. Also, Is it Vanderbilt or Missouri who has the super weird court that has the bench on the baseline?
Vandy has the weird court setup.

just checked out Vandy's staff resumes and wow...not one of those guys has ever coached at a p6 school before Vandy. Lots of high school and NBA or G league experience but none at major college basketball.

On some list someone posted recently the Grace guy that just left Vandy is like 2nd for best recruiter (I think it was just the southeast? Forbes was top 10, I think). I don't remember the legitimacy of the source. Things seem weird at Vandy. They also canned the AD guy that hired Stackhouse like a year after he started. I wonder if we could poach any of their dudes.

Ironic. Some folks here wanted Marshall to replace {redacted}. After a few years we get Forbes, a former Marshall assistant. Manning then steps into the former Forbes seat.

Holy shit Danny Manning would be a horrible hire for Wichita State.

Those players (and the fans) would be absolutely miserable.

Talk about a huge dropoff in intensity... Maybe that's the point? But it'd bring a huge dropoff in performance, as well.

I actually have an old friend who is on the Wichita State Board of Trustees. He’s been keeping me updated on this situation. He told me last week that they were going to fire Gregg Marshall this week. It looks like media have gotten word and it’s happening any time now.

It’s a very ugly situation. The Board took the incredible step of actually meeting directly with current and former players. They started with a few starters and rotation guys. These team leaders came described physical and verbal abuse by Gregg Marshall in detail. The Board was left no choice but to recommend firing Marshall. They hoped to salvage this current run by elevating an assistant. As they kept interviewing players, they were dismayed to find out that Marshall’s assistant coaches gleefully took part in the abuse as well.

The Board was rightfully frustrated. After they completed almost all their interviews and had no idea how to proceed. They decided to interview the final player on their schedule. He was a former student manager at KU who transferred to Wichita State and walked on. He grew up a Jayhawk fan but became the most loyal Shocker you could imagine. The Board believed if this guy corroborated the same stories, they had no choice but to fire everyone associated with the program and start from scratch. So they asked this walk-on the same questions they asked the other players. To their dismay, the walk-on described even more horrible, borderline sadistic behavior by the coaching staff.

My buddy was completely frustrated at this point. It was clear Marshall and his whole staff had to go. He asked the walk-on one last question. “Who do you think should be the next head basketball coach at Wichita State?” 

The walk-on smiled and sat up in his chair and said, “You all should hire Danny Manning. He’s not going to beat anybody.”

Was any of that story true, Ph? Or was it just a really long way of getting to the punchline?

I would soak up every second of Danny Manning at Wichita State. I would watch his initial press conference. I would read his interviews. I would even watch a game every now and then.

That goes for anywhere he ends up a head coach again (which I doubt ever happens).

Would be interesting to see if he learned anything from his time at Wake Forest and would make adjustments. I assume he wouldn't... Would just be a lot of "paint touches" and "guarding your damn man" and "making shots". Such fun.

C'mon man.

I just wanted to believe you wouldn't go through the trouble of writing 4 paragraphs to make a dumb joke that RJ could have pulled off in 1 or 2 poorly worded sentences.

Shame on me.

saw a tweet from Seth Davis (I think or could've been some other national voice) that their top choice was Thad Matta

I just wanted to believe you wouldn't go through the trouble of writing 4 paragraphs to make a dumb joke that RJ could have pulled off in 1 or 2 poorly worded sentences.

Shame on me.

That classic joke is all about the long somewhat believable set up. That’s how it keeps getting reused.

Back