• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/VT 11/9 - 3:30 Kickoff, ACC Network

Grove wasn’t even trying to win that ‘06 game since it didn’t matter for the ACCCG — all game down to Maryland in the final week

Travo Woods has a rough game in his only ever start

What was Grobe trying to do though?

We need to make a statement Saturday. VT only beat 1-8 Old Dominion by 14, 2-7 Rhode Island by 17, Furman by 7 in a game they trailed 14-3 at halftime, and lost to Duke by 35 at home. I get they're playing better and it's Bud Foster Day, but we should smoke these clowns. They're ranked 71 in F+ and 64 in SP+. If we play like we did Saturday (big if), I don't see why we shouldn't win by at least two TDs.

Pretty sure the VT game in 06 was the catalyst for WF modernizing their ticket system where they actually scanned tickets to verify authenticity versus simply tearing the old paper ones.

We need to make a statement Saturday. VT only beat 1-8 Old Dominion by 14, 2-7 Rhode Island by 17, Furman by 7 in a game they trailed 14-3 at halftime, and lost to Duke by 35 at home. I get they're playing better and it's Bud Foster Day, but we should smoke these clowns. They're ranked 71 in F+ and 64 in SP+. If we play like we did Saturday (big if), I don't see why we shouldn't win by at least two TDs.

I agree. The Newman-led offense has put up 82 points in the last ~100 minutes between before getting injured vs. Louisville and last week. We should be able to drop 30+ on VT.

Pretty sure the VT game in 06 was the catalyst for WF modernizing their ticket system where they actually scanned tickets to verify authenticity versus simply tearing the old paper ones.

yeah I recall that. and then the next home game we had after that was against Nebraska in the infamous selling ice in cups game.

Yes, lots of counterfeit VT tickets thst night held by toothless idiots

And a bunch of grads like me getting in for free on expired student IDs

12 out of 22 VT starters are Freshmen or Sophomores. Their starting OL features 2 redshirt sophomores, 1 true sophomore, and 2 true freshmen. Boogie gon' eat.

In all of my many years of attending WFU football games, I have witnessed one post game fight between fans. In 2004, VT played at Groves in one of its first ACC games and the first game vs WF since 1984. They brought a large, rowdy and loud fan base. After the 17-10 win by VT, I was at the old Corbins when a group of enebriated VT fans became abusive toward a few WF fans. A clean cut frat boy dressed in a white button down and a tie (KA?) was among the WF group, and he took exception to the verbal abuse. He approached a VT loudmouth, who took a swing at him. Big mistake. The WF kid proceeded to beat the everlasting sh#t out of the Hokie. Blood, glass and chairs flew everywhere and the WF kid fled the scene after he had taken care of business. Sometimes, people can be tougher than they appear.
Good for our fellow Deac.
Let's beat them on the field and let them go cry in their feed boxes or whatever turkeys eat out of.

Fuck that shit.

LOL. We'd have a tougher path if we were playing against 80s Miami, 90s FSU, or 00s VT. But we aren't so it doesn't really matter.

Yes, lots of counterfeit VT tickets thst night held by toothless idiots

WF sold the top ~20 rows of the student 'section' to the public. That decision was made before it was conceivable that WF students would fill that area.

It created a ton of anger and confusion. ... and a decade later, WF folks are still calling VT people toothless idiots over it. (Queue pretentious joke about about that not being the only reason...)

There were reports of counterfeit tickets, but it all traced back to WF selling tickets that WF students considered theirs... and, probably rightfully so.

Last edited:
Honestly though, we really should have let App State or West Virginia in the conference instead of Va Tech.

WF sold the top ~20 rows of the student 'section' to the public. That decision was made before it was conceivable that WF students would fill that area.

It created a ton of anger and confusion. ... and a decade later, WF folks are still calling VT people toothless idiots over it. (Queue pretentious joke about about that not being the only reason...)

There were reports of counterfeit tickets, but it all traced back to WF selling tickets that WF students considered theirs... and, probably rightfully so.
However, the VT people were not actually staying in that section. A sizable chunk moved down to the actual WF student section as well, which is where most of the issues occurred. Thankfully the seniors had a cordoned off area at least, very few other people were in that spot besides the seniors.

One Pittsnogle'ing wasn't enough for you??

Wouldn't have played WVU in the second round if they were in our conference.

giphy.gif

I used to live in Blacksburg and I've been to over a dozen Hokie games the last 5 years. My company was a corporate sponsor so I got free tickets. Hokie fans for the most part are polite and nice. I've never seen them be hostile towards opposing fans not from UVA. It's a great atmosphere for college football with an amazing intro. Their defense is susceptible to big plays and their offense can't score with us. The crowd will be LOUD and a factor Wake just needs to play their game and not turn the ball over. Should be a good time.

Last edited:
Back