• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/VT 11/9 - 3:30 Kickoff, ACC Network

wsc8521s

Rusty Larue
Reaction score
ACC Network confirmed

Last edited:
Great spot. If wake wins this week we need to have a good crowd in Blacksburg. Not a bad trip from Winston.

State gets bludgeoned on national TV by Clemson? Ouch

Yeah, they get to be the sacrificial lambs since ESPN/ABC don't wanna go strong up against LSU-Bama

Here's hoping ND shows up angry at home and beats up VT this Saturday!

Louisville at Miami, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2 or ACCN – network designation after the games of Nov. 2
Wake Forest at Virginia Tech, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2 or ACCN– network designation after the games of Nov. 2

Virginia Tech is @ Notre Dame, Miami is @ FSU, Wake has NC State at home, Louisville is off.

Regardless of Wake/VT outcome, if Miami loses I would expect that we get the ESPN2 slot (otherwise they would have announced the network pairings already).

If all three teams win, I would also bet we get the ESPN2 slot since our game will feature a top-25 team and a team that just upset Notre Dame on the road.

If both Wake and Miami win, but VT loses, we probably have the slight edge for ESPN2 because we will be ranked.

If Miami wins and VT and Wake lose, I bet they give it to Miami-Louisville since they'll both be above 0.500 in the conference and would probably pull more national interest.

Think us or VT being ranked is probably the determining factor

Although it might be question which network gets first choice. From a cursory following seems like ACC Net has picked before E2 this year

Who has been to a game at Lane before? Already have tickets to this one and wondering about parking, any good places to eat, or any other recommendations for the trip, etc.

Although it might be question which network gets first choice. From a cursory following seems like ACC Net has picked before E2 this year

That would surprise me, since ESPN2 likely has a larger subscriber base. Maybe ACCN gets an earlier selection to help boost the network in it's early days, though.

Who has been to a game at Lane before? Already have tickets to this one and wondering about parking, any good places to eat, or any other recommendations for the trip, etc.

Been to Lane.

Park at the large Engineering lot....get there by 10 am....standard tailgating and nice walk thru campus over to Lane.

Do you have motel reservations ? VT has 3 fantastic dining halls with remarkable food choices at ridiculously inexpensive prices. Non-students are welcome.

A visit to the memorial on their drill field is very moving. Also, get to Lane early for the famous Enter Sandman team entrance.

When initially constructed, Lane Stadium and Groves/BBT had identical designs. Through years both stadia have been renovated and changed to suit the respective football programs.

Lane Stadium in 1972:
Lane1972_01.jpg

I was last there in 1968 for a 7-6 Wake loss. Parking was fine, and our group of Wake students had no problem taking in multiple pints of bourbon. We were sitting in the VPI section on the 50– yelling back and forth with the Hokie fans —there was no one there. The scary thing is that we drove back after the game.

With Clemson on ABC that week, would that diminish the odds of Wake-Clemson on primetime ABC the following week (assuming we're 8-1 -- 7-1 when they schedule the game I suppose)?

Wouldn't think so. Michigan was in ABC primetime the last two weeks.

Oklahoma-Baylor and Minnesota-Iowa the main competition for that spot. Would imagine Fox probably has at least one of those.

Probably going to be a six-day pick, quality of all those matchups could change depending on the week b efore

Last edited:

The athletics portion of the VT website has a decent map of available parking. I agree with the suggestion of the engineering lot. It's not a short walk but will allow you to go past the shootings memorial without going far out of the way. Carol Lee doughnuts on N. Main Street is a local tradition (love the blueberry cake ones myself). Bull & Bones has a decent reputation. The Farmhouse in Christiansburg is another great place but it may be too late to make reservations now. Worth a call. The best BBQ is at Due South in C-burg. The sides are actually better than the 'cue. Plenty of deli/bar places downtown. Been too long since I was a student there so I will defer to others on that.

When initially constructed, Lane Stadium and Groves/BBT had identical designs. Through years both stadia have been renovated and changed to suit the respective football programs.

Lane Stadium in 1972:
Lane1972_01.jpg

I hadn’t heard that before but the photo shows it. Pretty cool trivia.

Back