• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hollywood legend Robert Evans dies at 89

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
He had a wild life. He was married seven times. Among his wives were Miss America Phyllis George and Ali McGraw.

He was a studio chief. Among the top flicks he OK'd were Barefoot in the Park, Serpico, Rosemary's Baby and Harold and Maude. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

He produced such all time great movies as the first two Godfather flicks, Chinatown, Marathon Man, Urban Cowboy and more.

Evans was also involved in one of Hollywood's biggest scandals while producing The Cotton Club. One of the financial backers (I think his name was Radin) was murdered. Radin wasn't just shot, he was blown up with dynamite as well. This was a true Hollywood scandal with sex, drugs, murder. I think it was also the real debut of future OJ lawyer Robert Shapiro.

My friend and mentor, Jim Hinton owned the rights to the book that was the basis of The Cotton Club movie. When he sold them to Evans, he gave him a budget of around $10-12M. Evans went nuts and spent close to $60M which was an outrageous sum in those days.

Evans was a true Hollywood mogul and lived over half a century like one. How he lived to be 89 is a mystery. He never met a party he didn't want to join. With all of the investment bankers now involved in the media and entertainment, it's not likely we'll see another like Bob Evans again.

RIP. If he does, it will be one of the few times he ever rested.

I'd just like to have the money he spent on cocaine.

The film was a commercial failure, grossing just under $26 million against a $58 million budget.

Maybe Evans should have listened to your friend and mentor.

Going so crazily over budget is likely what led to the murder.

One of my buddies that is in the film industry was talking about Evans death the other day and mentioned much of what RJ did in original post. I was unaware but man this dude accomplished a ton. There is a doc about him too that is supposed to be really good called "The Kid Stays in the Picture that I want to check out as well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303353/

I saw a documentary on the guy. He produced a handful of my favorite movies. Quite the legend.

Back