• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Twitter to Ban Political Ads

What constitutes a "political ad" for the purpose of this Twitter ban?

Can’t wait for Trump’s courts to save us all from this oppression on our first amendment rights !

What constitutes a "political ad" for the purpose of this Twitter ban?

My first thought too. Are they just paid/boosted posts that advocate for any political position? Seems arbitrary but if they can set out a coherent consistent process for review I'm not opposed to it.

It's a private business. There's no first amendment issue here.

Jack's thread:

randy-gets-cancer.jpg

and of course Team Trump says they're doing this to silence conservatives

Seems like a message sent to Facebook more than anything else, given that's where Trump's campaign is going to spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

Seems like a message sent to Facebook more than anything else, given that's where Trump's campaign is going to spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

They seem to think they can forestall someone starting Conservabook the next time Facebook removes a page promoting violently overthrowing a governor who expands Medicaid, or a page promoting the legaization of rape. I believe they are incorrect in this assessment.

Every media outlet that allows advertising has rules of what they will and won't accept. Why should media platforms be any different?

It's illegal for companies to place ads with fraudulent claims. This should apply to outright lies told in political ads.

They seem to think they can forestall someone starting Conservabook the next time Facebook removes a page promoting violently overthrowing a governor who expands Medicaid, or a page promoting the legaization of rape. I believe they are incorrect in this assessment.

Aggrieved conservatives leaving Facebook would probably help Facebook’s bottom line.

Aggrieved conservatives leaving Facebook would probably help Facebook’s bottom line.

Nah, that's all they've got. Nobody is joining Facebuook nowadays, at least in the US. Kids take one look and say, "No Way !"

Back