• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

Dude... You are becoming painful with this stuff.

As an aside... Saw today that Clemson would be favored by 7 over Georgia on a neutral field.

Man, that's bad news for Florida.

We should also ask when that bush league that fancies itself the "National Football League" is going to stop pretending that it's rinky dink "Superbowl" is in any way remotely equal to God's Own (Trademark) SEC Championship?

Don't be silly. SEC players dominate that league and it's worthwhile because the best players from other leagues are there too.

Pundits are now questioning if FSU will ever be able to get their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice candidate after firing Taggart before his own recruits are at least sophomores. This covers my thoughts in about 6 minutes:

This was my loose theory on why you couldn't fire Manning at the end of 2018 or 5 games into last year - to position yourself to be able to hire the best possible guy(gal) at the end of last year. Of course, we didn't even fire Manning at the end of last year, but anyway - I think FSU is fucked here.

There’s a big difference between firing a previously successful coach is his second year and firing a failed coach in his 4th or 5th year.

Here's what I wrote less than 2 weeks before Taggart was fired...

I think the wheels would have to completely fall off for Taggart not to get to Year 3 at FSU.

I know the fan base hates him, but they have terrible QBs and a shit OL this year. These things didn't happen solely because of Taggart. The man also has a reputation for turning around programs after shitting the bed in Year 1 (and to a lesser extent, Year 2).

Look at what Matt Ruhle has done at Baylor in Year 3. That's the blueprint.

Or maybe I just want Taggart to coach at FSU forever because I love it when they suck.

I'm still surprised things got to a point where they had to let him go mid-season. I get firing him after the regular season, but what have they gained? If anything, it is harder to make a hire now... For example, if Bob Stoops says he'll take the job, does he start now or after the season? I can't imagine a new hire stepping into the head coaching role in early November to coach out the last month. So maybe this isn't a train wreck... Maybe they are just taking their time because they have another month to uncover interested candidates.

That article compares a Deion Sanders hire w/ a Penny Hardaway hire... I understand the comparison, but it seems like jumping into a P5 football head coaching gig without any real experience would be a lot more difficult than coaching hoops at Memphis from an AAU background.

Along these lines, it's a lot easier to recruit 4-6 guys in his first year (including having a couple of 5* in his pocket) than it is to get 20-25 players starting from ground zero.

Along these lines, it's a lot easier to recruit 4-6 guys in his first year (including having a couple of 5* in his pocket) than it is to get 20-25 players starting from ground zero.

Exactly. Stuff like putting together a competent staff from scratch. Recruiting. Basically all of the parts of being a P5 college football coach that go beyond being a hype man.

Have there been quicker firings than this in P5 schools? I can’t think of any right offhand.

Have there been quicker firings than this in P5 schools? I can’t think of any right offhand.

I read an article somewhere that commented on this... I wish I could remember the source. Maybe ESPN?

But the bottom line was that this was a very quick trigger. Extremely rare to only get 2 seasons and pretty much unprecedented to get less than that.

Will look for it.

Mike Price and George O’Leary (though he technically resigned) didn’t even make it to game 1

Mike Price and George O’Leary (though he technically resigned) didn’t even make it to game 1

Neither of those were team performance related.

The quick Taggart firing, seemingly driven by fan unhappiness, may give other coaches cause to think twice. Or at least demand long, large guarantees.

Which I’m sure Taggart had. That’s how he ended up with $18-22M.

Which I’m sure Taggart had. That’s how he ended up with $18-22M.

Next coach may demand more up front. I might look for some way to make it cheaper for them to keep me for three years than fire me before that time.

FSU 1-0 without Taggert.

Fire Currie and replace him with FSU AD.

4-18. One 7 win season. Three 2 win seasons. SMU is doing way better without him. Pretty clear he’s a trash coach.

Back