• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

Rumors:

- USF may re-hire Willie Taggart (Clemson co-OCs Jeff Scott and Tony Elliot also mentioned)
- Iowa State Matt Campbell denying interest in the FSU job (James Franklin and Mike Norvell also mentioned as part of the FSU search)
- Mike Norvell appears to be the leading candidate for the Ole Miss job (as long as a better offer, like FSU, doesn't come along)
- Texas fired 3 assistant coaches including DC Todd Orlando with the idea that it would buy Tom Herman time
- Former Florida HC and current Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain, Cincy HC Luke Fickell and current Ohio State DC Jeff Haley are candidates for the BC job

Rumors:

- USF may re-hire Willie Taggart (Clemson co-OCs Jeff Scott and Tony Elliot also mentioned)
- Iowa State Matt Campbell denying interest in the FSU job (James Franklin and Mike Norvell also mentioned as part of the FSU search)
- Mike Norvell appears to be the leading candidate for the Ole Miss job (as long as a better offer, like FSU, doesn't come along)
- Texas fired 3 assistant coaches including DC Todd Orlando with the idea that it would buy Tom Herman time
- Former Florida HC and current Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain, Cincy HC Luke Fickell and current Ohio State DC Jeff Haley are candidates for the BC job

Immediate responses to this:
- Taggart makes sense back at USF
- No idea what happens w/ FSU. I don't think Odell is a strong hire, but it may happen
- I'm surprised Norvell is still at Memphis... Thought he'd take another gig a year or two ago. Ole Miss (or FSU make sense)
- Tom Herman may just be making things tougher on himself... Easy to blame the staff, but I'm not sure that was the problem
- McElwain or Fickell would be good gets for BC, imo... I'd be a little surprised if either took that job

Typical caveat that I know nothing.

Fickell would be nuts to go to BC when he's rumored for every decent opening that comes up.

Drawback for Norvell is no previous SEC coaching/recruiting experience, but he knows his way around Mississippi.

USF would be making a mistake hiring Taggart. It's easy to argue he only had success because he had serious NFL talent and it's not clear if he'll be able to do that again. USF had one coach in Jim Leavitt for the first 14 years of the program. Now they'll be hiring their fourth head coach in 10 years.

By the way, USF AD Michael Kelly is a 90s Deac.

Last edited:
Norvell can do better than Ole Miss. Lots of smoke for him around the FSU job. I think Billy Napier is who will end up in Oxford. Alabama, Auburn, LSU and A&M every year is a tall task. They gave up on Matt Luke too soon.

Norvell can do better than Ole Miss. Lots of smoke for him around the FSU job. I think Billy Napier is who will end up in Oxford. Alabama, Auburn, LSU and A&M every year is a tall task. They gave up on Matt Luke too soon.

That’s basically why the Ole Miss and Arkansas jobs suck.

That’s basically why the Ole Miss and Arkansas jobs suck.

Arkansas is desperate to get back to Bobby Petrino days as that was the last time they were relevant. Likewise Ole Miss trying to get back to Hugh Freeze days even though he put them on probation.

Live in St. Louis and Clawson’s name keeps coming up for the Mizzou opening

Perhaps just my imagination, but it feels like Campbell does this every year.

Pretty sure Iowa State extended him last year too. Power V schools don't respect the Iowa State program; so, he is always mentioned as a candidate when there is a Power V vacancy. For all of the love he gets, his best year at Iowa State is 8-5. If they win their bowl game, he will equal that mark.

Also, in addition to Lincoln Riley there are rumors that NFL teams are kicking the tires on Matt Rhule. He was an assistant coach for the Giants under Tom Coughlin before getting the head job at Temple. Apparently, the Giants are among the teams interested.

Live in St. Louis and Clawson’s name keeps coming up for the Mizzou opening

Clawson at Mizzou would probably work out well for them. Lucky to be in the SEC East with USC sucking, UK regressing, Tennessee still mediocre, Vandy dead, and Florida still figuring things out. Mizzou will probably be happy to give him 3-4 years to get it rolling. They have a 70k newly expanded and renovated stadium and brand new football facility. Fan base is very supportive and loyal. Academics probably aren’t what Clawson is used to and the city is smaller than W-S. Columbia is mostly just the University but it’s growing. He won’t have the access to the “foodie” places he likes to frequent but they check almost every other box for him.

Missouri in the SEC, particularly in the SEC East, is a bad fit. Apparently, the best available alternative after the SEC added A&M if the conference wanted to have an even number of teams, but it's closer to Nebraska, Minnesota and the Dakotas than it is Florida. They have no natural rivals in that conference. Much better suited to play in the Big 10 or Big 12.

Mizzou does have a large rabid fanbase.

Back