• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

As someone else pointed out, there can be agreements regarding timing or other issues that impact it ($10M lump sum instead of $15M over 10 years, etc). There can also be issues with regards to requirements on the coach to remain eligible for the payments on his buyout. Disclaimer that I've never dealt with coaching contracts before, but they are similar to many executive contracts that the buyout/golden parachute has an offset clause that (1) requires the coach to make good faith efforts at finding a new job and (2) reduces the buyout by whatever amount you are getting paid at a new job if you get a new job. If a coach negotiates the buyout down, they essentially agree to take a smaller amount but the agreement to reduce the amount if they take another job goes away. Win/Win for both sides. The coach gets a guaranteed amount of money and the ability to possibly land a windfall if they get another high-paying job and the school gets at least some of the liability off its books. If I recall correctly (and I am not going back to look it up), there was some laughter at Notre Dame a while back for not having a clause to that effect in Charlie Weis's contract which allowed him to get his full buyout from ND while coaching Kansas (and then his full buyout from Kansas, but that's another story).

In our case, Manning has no incentive to negotiate his number down because the likelihood of him getting another job is pretty much nil.

ETA: I did go back and look -- ND definitely omitted the offset clause from Charlie Weis's contract, which resulted in them paying him the full $19M he was owed while he was getting paid to be the KC Chiefs OC in 2010 and the Kansas Head Coach from 2011-2015.

Doesn’t the law require an aggrieved party to mitigate its damages?

Mike Leach spoke with Arkansas, signed extension with Washington State.

Jeff Tedford out at Fresno State.

Indiana's OC Kalen DeBoer is the heavy favorite to replace Tedford. DeBoer came to IU a year ago from Fresno St. where he had a lot of success. Very frustrating from an IU perspective. DeBoer did a fantastic job in his one year at IU.

I'm biased towards him, but it's hard to believe the 2017 National Coach of the Year and 2019 Broyles Award (top assistant in the nation) finalist is likely out of a job, and not really being discussed among the potential top-tier hires this offseason.

Mike Macintyre (Ole Miss DC/Former Colorado HC) may not be sexy man, but good lord... it's hard to believe he's not higher on many lists.

On a side note:

If he ends up getting canned at Ole Miss, I'm pretty sure he'll have received buyouts of ~$10,000,000 in a single calendar year. (Colorado settled with him for $7MM+ in March. https://durangoherald.com/articles/269858 & he's got $5MM guaranteed from Ole Miss, if he's gone).

That's on top of his regular salary, which I'm sure makes him the highest paid coach in all of college athletics for a year in which he never served as a HC. Crazy.

Looks like Stoops is driving a hard bargain

Looks like Stoops is driving a hard bargain

FsU is like the company that advertises their yearly going out of business sale. Fsu should have a bi-annual booster pledge to fund their next coach.

Have there ever been any instances of a Power 5 coach leaving for a non-Power 5? That would be the most LOWF move ever.

Holgersen WVU to Houston. Or am I missing your point

Sounds like Norvell has emerged as the leading candidate for FSU.

Norvell to FSU seems to be close to a done deal.

Back