• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

Mike Tressel, definitely not Jim.

I also disagree that MSU is better than a second tier SEC job like Tennessee or A&M. Those schools are raking in top recruits (both in the Top 10), have even more passionate fan bases (and larger/more filled stadiums), and even more money. Meanwhile, MSU is mired in legal/NCAA controversy and can't bring in a single 4 or 5 star recruit.

Oops. Jim's nephew Mike.

Mike Tressel, definitely not Jim.

I also disagree that MSU is better than a second tier SEC job like Tennessee or A&M. Those schools are raking in top recruits (both in the Top 10), have even more passionate fan bases (and larger/more filled stadiums), and even more money. Meanwhile, MSU is mired in legal/NCAA controversy and can't bring in a single 4 or 5 star recruit.

The USA gymnastics sexual abuse scandal gave MSU a pretty large black eye. It will take some time after all the legal and NCAA issues are settled for the impact of that to lessen.

Michigan State built its most recent resume as a power program when both Penn State (because of the Sandusky scandal) and Michigan (because of a series of bad head coaching hires) struggled. Both the programs have taken a step up, and appear to be in solid shape. Right now, MSU is a distant fourth in the Big 10 East, and that doesn't look like its changing any time soon. Couple that with the recent scandals, and Michigan State is, at best, just another Big State School in the rust belt. The outlook for Sparty's future isn't super-positive.

Michigan State built its most recent resume as a power program when both Penn State (because of the Sandusky scandal) and Michigan (because of a series of bad head coaching hires) struggled. Both the programs have taken a step up, and appear to be in solid shape. Right now, MSU is a distant fourth in the Big 10 East, and that doesn't look like its changing any time soon. Couple that with the recent scandals, and Michigan State is, at best, just another Big State School in the rust belt. The outlook for Sparty's future isn't super-positive.

And in just about every respect it is the second school in the state.

Mel Tucker!

Color me unimpressed.

Not a bad hire. Obviously he was good enough for the CU job last year and presumably would have already taken another head coaching job if he had stayed at Georgia for another year. Went 5-7 his first year at Colorado, which is the same record as the previous two seasons.

This is a pool that CU apparently cannot afford to wade into:

According to The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, the deal will double Tucker's $3.2 million salary pool for assistant coaches, increase the Michigan State strength and conditioning staff budget and "more than double" Tucker's $2.675 million salary.

Tucker's buyout at Colorado dropped to $3 million on Dec. 31, per his five-year contract with Colorado.

Tucker: $3 million buyout at UC after one year
Manning: $18 million buyout at WFU after 5 years

The USA gymnastics sexual abuse scandal gave MSU a pretty large black eye. It will take some time after all the legal and NCAA issues are settled for the impact of that to lessen.

I'd venture to say that the only reason OSU hasn't received more publicity for its similar sex abuse scandal is because the Doctor died several years ago and there is no public criminal trial. If people aren't familiar with this scandal, it's equivalent to MSU's - but it involves male athletes (100's) rather than female.

Last edited:
I'd venture to say that the only reason OSU hasn't received more publicity for its similar sex abuse scandal is because the Doctor died several years ago and there is no public criminal trial. If people aren't familiar with this scandal, it's equivalent to MSU's - but it involves male athletes (1000's) rather than female.

Did OSU's situation also involve a high profile US Olympics team sport?

I see MSU being somewhere between the Penn St. and UNC models when it comes to the NCAA. The school can argue that what the doctor did to the gymnasts should not used against the football program. The timing to try to find a new coach couldn't be much worse. Any closer to the start of the season you just appoint someone on staff as an interim and move on. I wonder if Les Miles is kicking himself for jumping at the KU job last cycle. He would be a decent fit in East Lansing, at least taking some of the press away from Harbaugh.

Eric Beiniemy should have an NFL job right now. I think he should wait for next year.

Yeah, Bienemy is in line for a bigger payday as an NFL coach than at a second tier college team that just lost its coach to a 100% pay raise.

Also, the PAC 12 lost 25% of its coaches this offseason to a mid-tier SEC team (Leach to MSU), a mid-tier B1G team (Tucker to MSU), and a guy in his prime (Peterson at UW) who just said "Fuck it !"

One of Taggart’s former assistants is suing FSU, and this detail caught my eye.

The lawsuit claims Frey received assurances from Taggart in December 2018 that his job was safe since Taggart told him they were “not planning on making any further changes.” Frey said Taggart gave him more assurances in January 2019 when he forbid Frey or any of FSU’s assistant coaches from attending a national coaching convention.

Frey had sought to attend the convention in part to network and develop a back-up plan in case he lost his Florida State job.

On Feb. 15, 2019, nine days after college football’s second signing day, Taggart fired Frey. Clements was announced as the team’s new offensive line coach Feb. 21.

That’s pretty fucked up!

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article244371517.html

Back