• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

Yeah that’s part of my point. Football is all Knoxville has. Results in an even more delusion fanbase. Credit to the Vols for using the worst scandal in sports history as an excuse to protest a former NFL coach being hired. I’m sure if Gruden had been a grad assistant at Penn State during that time they would have done the same.

This

I thought Butch got at least two seasons, I'm thinking he was there for three.

ETA: He was there for almost 5 years. He was sacked 10 games into his fifth year.

They’ve got talent, but they’ve got issues too. I think wearing a Nole jersey hides it a little bit, but Taggert didn’t inherit anything close to the talent that FSU has traditionally had.

Agreed. FSU has traditionally struggled at QB. That’s one reason Ward and Weinke were so special. At least they had gotten some solid QBs like Ponder and Manuel in there. The QBs post Jameis were just bad.

Once Clawson leaves for ND, Michigan or the New York Jets, would you rather have Elko or Gattis be HC?

Elko may end up on the short list for FSU after the dream prospects turn them down.

FSU is probably a Tier 2 job at best. I would put osu, Alabama, Texas, and probably OU on Tier 1. Maybe Georgia and Florida too. Florida is a better job than FSU.

Tier 2 job but likely the best job available. N

I think Pruitt is safe this year.

Joe Moorhead is likely to skip town in Starkville to go to Rutgers.

Chad Morris is on extremely thin ice at Arkansas.

Clay Helton is done at Univ of SoCal after last night's blowout.

Last edited:
Elko may end up on the short list for FSU after the dream prospects turn them down.

Tier 2 job but likely the best job available.

Stranger things have happened, but I don't see Jimbo's DC leaving for FSU.

Univ of SoCal is a better job than FSU that I think will come open.

My two cents... Which are probably worth less than that.

USC is Urban Meyer's to lose. FSU already stated a week or two ago that they had no interest in Urban Meyer or ANYONE that ever coached at UF (including Spurrier). So while USC and FSU are similar jobs, I'd argue that the candidate pool is somewhat different.

In terms of the list that Biff posted on tiers of coaching jobs, that is obviously debatable. I'd put FSU in a middle tier between the obvious top tier and some of the others that Biff listed. But that's all very debatable and not all that important.

If FSU calls you, you'll at least listen. Agree with those that think the financial restraints and they way they ran Taggart out of town (and Fisher, to a degree) will be at least somewhat of an issue. But there are some very good P5 and Group of 5 coaches that would jump at the chance... Taggart himself left after 1 year at Oregon (I realize there is more to it than that, but it still happened... Oregon, last time I checked, still has swoosh money).

Doesn't seem like a Clawson job. And honestly, we haven't done anything yet that would warrant Clawson leaving for an FSU or USC level job.

Should be a VERY fun coaching search, though! I'm excited.

You can call FSU a top tier job but their only hires post-Bowden were their OC/coach in waiting they picked up as a OC from LSU and a 7-5 head coach two seasons removed from a G6 job.

Clawson can coach the next ten years at Wake with a guaranteed at least $50 million. He can go to an FSU dumb jock program with a guaranteed $12 million. Don't underestimate how he got burned at the Tennessee football factory. Big dice rolls with you must win NOW regardless of the dumpster fire you may walk in to.

Why all the FSU hate? They won a national Championship six years ago and are in the same State with the best high school football talent in the country. As far as college football jobs go, it’s about as good as you’re gonna get.

Clawson can coach the next ten years at Wake with a guaranteed at least $50 million. He can go to an FSU dumb jock program with a guaranteed $12 million. Don't underestimate how he got burned at the Tennessee football factory. Big dice rolls with you must win NOW regardless of the dumpster fire you may walk in to.

Where are you getting this $50M from?

Some of y'all are seriously underestimating how shitty Los Angeles is as a place to live and work.

FSU has already sent the message you get 2 years or less to straighten out what has become an even bigger cesspool of talent and culture. Make many hesitate I think- and the next buyout will be huge. On the other-hand, it might be hard for FSU to come up with another 20 million in 24 months. Far from a dream job.

Jimbo Fisher wasn't really a head coaching hire... As you mention, he was the coach in waiting. That was absolutely a home run hire when they initially brought him to Tallahassee, as he could have had any number of P5 jobs.

Not sure your point on Taggart... I'm pretty sure you were a fan of his at the time. Spinning it as 7-5 and two years removed from G6 is hilarious from you. Oregon was coming off a really shitty year, and he had them OK in Year 1. They've clearly done well the last 2 years after his departure, and Cristobal didn't exactly have a stellar reputation as a head coach (see his time at FIU).

Read all of these articles from the last day on the FSU coaching search... It's still a Top 10 job.

Read this morning that buying out Taggart and his staff was $20 million. FSU doesn't have big money left so they are looking at coordinators.

Jimbo Fisher wasn't really a head coaching hire... As you mention, he was the coach in waiting. That was absolutely a home run hire when they initially brought him to Tallahassee, as he could have had any number of P5 jobs.

Not sure your point on Taggart... I'm pretty sure you were a fan of his at the time. Spinning it as 7-5 and two years removed from G6 is hilarious from you. Oregon was coming off a really shitty year, and he had them OK in Year 1. They've clearly done well the last 2 years after his departure, and Cristobal didn't exactly have a stellar reputation as a head coach (see his time at FIU).

Read all of these articles from the last day on the FSU coaching search... It's still a Top 10 job.

Show your work. Name your top 10 jobs. I think it’s probably a top 15 job. It’s the second best job in the ACC right now, and I’m not quite sure Louisville is that far away at #3. It’s the second best job in Florida.

Back