• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

Just saw on Packer and Durham it looked like that same clown who was chirping at our players pre-game was doing the same thing before the Miami game.

Read this morning that buying out Taggart and his staff was $20 million. FSU doesn't have big money left so they are looking at coordinators.

Jeff Scott at Clemson is the first coordinator who comes to mind then. Son of Brad Scott who was Bowden's offensive coordinator and coach at South Carolina.

FSU is a top job period. It’s in the top talent producing state in the entire world , had a rich history, has two different coaches win a natty there, in a p5 conference that usually only has 1 or 2 teams at one time that can compete for playoff spot. Coaches will fall over themselves to get this job. Put it this way, FSU has a much easier path to a national championship than Florida does.

FSU is a top job period. It’s in the top talent producing state in the entire world , had a rich history, has two different coaches win a natty there, in a p5 conference that usually only has 1 or 2 teams at one time that can compete for playoff spot. Coaches will fall over themselves to get this job. Put it this way, FSU has a much easier path to a national championship than Florida does.

So you think Clawson should take the job ?

Show your work. Name your top 10 jobs. I think it’s probably a top 15 job. It’s the second best job in the ACC right now, and I’m not quite sure Louisville is that far away at #3. It’s the second best job in Florida.

I was more rehashing every article to date on the coaching search than stating it as fact that I believe.

Agree that it's probably in the 10-15 range... I don't know enough about each situation to have some sort of definitive rank.

Yeah, it's behind Florida. It is behind Clemson (at least right now, and for the foreseeable future). Throw ND, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Texas, Oklahoma in there, too. After that, you are definitely splitting hairs... Michigan, A&M, LSU, Georgia, Auburn?

Where are you getting this $50M from?
Call it 30 to 50 million. Ten years of raises and the continuing rise of coaching salaries. Any number exceeds a guaranteed two years at Tenn or FSU. And he his only pressure is win 6 games.

I think pruett is the next to go if tennessee doesnt make it to a bowl....

There will be grumbling if TN doesn't win out given the schedule, but the local sentiment seems to be Pruett has them back on track. How he convinced that stud linebacker from SoCal to join that recent dumpster fire is beyond me.

Damn. Kirk Herbstreit freaking trashed the entire football program at FSU. Thugs and misfits. Taggert just couldn't change the fucked up culture. "All they do is chirp." (Mouth off)

The F$U job has Jeff Scott written all over it.

Doubt this weakens Clemson any but would be 1st chink in armor. Clemson has co-OC's with Tony Elliot being the other. Be interesting to see if Elliot can handle job full time or Scott is the brains of the operation.

I was more rehashing every article to date on the coaching search than stating it as fact that I believe.

Agree that it's probably in the 10-15 range... I don't know enough about each situation to have some sort of definitive rank.

Yeah, it's behind Florida. It is behind Clemson (at least right now, and for the foreseeable future). Throw ND, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Texas, Oklahoma in there, too. After that, you are definitely splitting hairs... Michigan, A&M, LSU, Georgia, Auburn?

Mostly schools from states with one or two P5 programs. Hmmm...

Doubt this weakens Clemson any but would be 1st chink in armor. Clemson has co-OC's with Tony Elliot being the other. Be interesting to see if Elliot can handle job full time or Scott is the brains of the operation.

Yeah, he was on McElroy's and Kannell's list this morning on the First Team on ESPNU radio. Of course so was Clawson. They said they didn't think Venables had any desire to be a head coach, probably because he'd probably have to say good bye to his waist grabbing buddy since a head coach needing a "get back" coach is not a good look.

The _____ job has Chad Morris written all over it.

Doubt this weakens Clemson any but would be 1st chink in armor.

Posts from 5+ years ago.

Clemson could lose Scott and just bring Morris back if Arkansas fires him.

Jeff Scott is the recruiter and definitely not the brains behind the Clemson offense.

I don't see any scenario where he is hired in Tally even if FSU strikes out on their top 5+ candidates.

Since this looks like the coaching carousel thread, looking like Rutgers will hire Greg Schiano: https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/11/4/20947411/the-return-of-greg-schiano-to-rutgers-football-interview-chris-ash-big-ten-butch-jones-pat-hobbs

Rutgers will always be out of its league in the Big 10, but he will make them much more competitive. If Rutgers makes this hire, this will be a massively better move than MD hiring Locksley.

Yeah because schools hiring former coaches is always so successful, Randy Edsell and Bobby Petrino are saying hello.

Mostly schools from states with one or two P5 programs. Hmmm...

Dude. There are 65 power 5 schools.

How many states even have more than 2 P5 programs?

Let's count:
Florida: UF, FSU, Miami
North Carolina: UNC, NCSU, WFU
Texas: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU
California: UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford
Indiana: Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue

That's it... That's the list. 18 schools in 5 states. That means you have 45 other states for 47 programs (and there are many without even 1).

And you are arguing that it's easier to be an elite football program if you come from a state without more than 2 P5 programs?

Those 5 states contain at least 5 schools on the short list of elite programs (UF, FSU, Texas, USC, & ND)... And you could add Texas A&M and UCLA to that list without too much of an argument.

In fact, only two of those schools I listed comes from a state w/ a single P5 program... Ohio State & LSU
Clemson - Also has South Carolina
Alabama - Also has Auburn
Oklahoma - Also has Oklahoma State
Michigan - Also has Michigan State
Georgia - Also has Georgia Tech

You left Duke off the list of Power V schools in NC, which I am fine with.

Dude. There are 65 power 5 schools.

How many states even have more than 2 P5 programs?

Let's count:
Florida: UF, FSU, Miami
North Carolina: UNC, NCSU, WFU
Texas: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU
California: UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford
Indiana: Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue

That's it... That's the list. 18 schools in 5 states. That means you have 45 other states for 47 programs (and there are many without even 1).

And you are arguing that it's easier to be an elite football program if you come from a state without more than 2 P5 programs?

Those 5 states contain at least 5 schools on the short list of elite programs (UF, FSU, Texas, USC, & ND)... And you could add Texas A&M and UCLA to that list without too much of an argument.

In fact, only two of those schools I listed comes from a state w/ a single P5 program... Ohio State & LSU
Clemson - Also has South Carolina
Alabama - Also has Auburn
Oklahoma - Also has Oklahoma State
Michigan - Also has Michigan State
Georgia - Also has Georgia Tech
Nobody even knows where the term p5 derived. It really has no meaning. There are 5 conferences who are AQ. Automatic Qualifiers to the playoff. That's an NCAA term. Seems reasonable. Doesn't mean there aren't outstanding programs like App, Memphis, Boise , etc. In addition without taking into account the population of states, the number of "p5" is ridiculous. NC is really an outlier with four. A vestige of one of the oldest conferences and testament to the league's fight to preserve the privates in their conference. Duke, Wake, Miami, etc. And the fucked up relationship with ND.

Back