• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

BTW, Taggart pledged $1 million to the construction of a $60 million football only facility that Jimbo had complained loudly did not exist and helped lead to his departure. FSU hasn't raised all the money for the facility yet, while Florida and UCF are also investing in similar facilities.

I'm not sure how bringing in a retired coach making a comeback in the XFL and keeping the same OC is going to rejuvenate the program. This is similar to UNC.

Except Stoops is only 59 and wasn’t pushed out of OK. He left with the program at an elite level.

Mack Brown was shown the door at Texas because the program had slipped.

I’m still skeptical that Stoops wants to get back into the grind of college coaching, but he’d be a home run hire. For most any program.

Anyone who thinks/thought Clawson could be a candidate for FSU should watch his press conference today. He was not at all complimentary of what FSU did to Taggart.

Anyone who thinks/thought Clawson could be a candidate for FSU should watch his press conference today. He was not at all complimentary of what FSU did to Taggart.

Dave is an excellent fit for Wake Forest. I'm not sure he would be a great fit at a football factory. I think Tennessee showed him just how ugly that world can be.
I'm not saying he may not test those waters but I also would not be surprised if he has plans to retire at Wake Forest.

If we end the regular season 10-2 (and possibly 9-3), here are places that might be offering Clawson:

Michigan
USC
UCLA

USC and UCLA are allegedly thinking about offering Urban Myers an insane contract.

Dave is an excellent fit for Wake Forest. I'm not sure he would be a great fit at a football factory. I think Tennessee showed him just how ugly that world can be.
I'm not saying he may not test those waters but I also would not be surprised if he has plans to retire at Wake Forest.

Agreed. He can make $3M+ a year with complete job security and complete control over the program as long as makes a bowl game 3-4 out of 5 years. He also has a good chance to win 9+ games every year and a shot to upset Clemson.

Don't see any parallel between Taggart and Manning.

Prior to FSU, Taggart had been a head coach for 8 seasons at 3 different programs, with a winning record in his final season at each stop. Also, it takes longer to build a football program back than a basketball program given the amount of players on a football roster. The only players on the FSU roster that Taggart had a full recruiting cycle with are the true freshman, and even the best true freshman in football aren't difference makers right away. By way of example, Dave Clawson was 5-16 21 games into his football coaching career at WF. Maybe Taggart would've been a massive failure at FSU, but he was never given a chance to coach his players at all. Among the reasons Jimbo Fisher got out was that FSU's talent had slipped. FSU had 2 players drafted last year. That tied for the fewest in a decade for FSU. From 2013 to 2015, FSU had 12, 7, 11 players drafted; the Noles had backups that were drafted. Taggart would've won 10+ games with that talent too. The uniforms were the same, but Jimbo had checked out as a recruiter a few years before he left.

Essentially, for the last 4 seasons (including the current one), Manning has coached players that he recruited and developed (or failed to develop). Manning has been given a full opportunity to demonstrate his coaching chops. If there had been an inkling of progress over the past two seasons or even evidence of a gritty team that fought for 40 minutes, there at least would be an arguable defense that the program had hope. Right now, there is no hope.

FSU never gave Taggart a chance and fired him. WF gave Manning every chance in the world, and he is still here.

Very true points, but I think we all hope that they will soon share one very big thing in common. That being they are fired ACC coaches who are collecting monster checks for years to come as they are laughing all the way to the Bank and look to purchase their own private island together.

If we end the regular season 10-2 (and possibly 9-3), here are places that might be offering Clawson:

Michigan
USC
UCLA

USC and UCLA are allegedly thinking about offering Urban Myers an insane contract.

UCLA isn't firing Chip. He actually has them rolling along pretty well right now. Michigan isn't firing Harbaugh. Clawson is not going to USC. No west coast ties, and not nearly enough of a marquee name.

UCLA isn't firing Chip. He actually has them rolling along pretty well right now. Michigan isn't firing Harbaugh. Clawson is not going to USC. No west coast ties, and not nearly enough of a marquee name.

Agree with all of this. UCLA has won three in a row, and is now scoring points. Michigan beat Notre Dame which calmed the Wolverine lunatic fringe, and he was never getting fired anyway; the only threat was an NFL team poaching him, which Harbaugh has categorically denied; USC as a school is a mess right now "The Most Scandal Plagued Campus In America": https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/usc-scandals-cover/.

And the Univ of SoCal administration has been telling AD candidates that they're not hiring Urban Meyer (or Urban Myers, as RJ calls him).

Think he also put out there that most new coaches need a number of years (read: at least 3) to turn around a football program that has fallen on hard times and needs a new coach because of that situation.

It would take a lot of guaranteed money, years and convincing by the AD and university president to get him to move. He is in a situation at Wake where continuing to do what he has done the last few years will keep him in good graces as long as he wants to stay.

Don't see any parallel between Taggart and Manning.

Prior to FSU, Taggart had been a head coach for 8 seasons at 3 different programs, with a winning record in his final season at each stop. Also, it takes longer to build a football program back than a basketball program given the amount of players on a football roster. The only players on the FSU roster that Taggart had a full recruiting cycle with are the true freshman, and even the best true freshman in football aren't difference makers right away. By way of example, Dave Clawson was 5-16 21 games into his football coaching career at WF. Maybe Taggart would've been a massive failure at FSU, but he was never given a chance to coach his players at all. Among the reasons Jimbo Fisher got out was that FSU's talent had slipped. FSU had 2 players drafted last year. That tied for the fewest in a decade for FSU. From 2013 to 2015, FSU had 12, 7, 11 players drafted; the Noles had backups that were drafted. Taggart would've won 10+ games with that talent too. The uniforms were the same, but Jimbo had checked out as a recruiter a few years before he left.

Essentially, for the last 4 seasons (including the current one), Manning has coached players that he recruited and developed (or failed to develop). Manning has been given a full opportunity to demonstrate his coaching chops. If there had been an inkling of progress over the past two seasons or even evidence of a gritty team that fought for 40 minutes, there at least would be an arguable defense that the program had hope. Right now, there is no hope.

FSU never gave Taggart a chance and fired him. WF gave Manning every chance in the world, and he is still here.

True. Wake gave BZ and Manning every chance to prove they were capable. They were not and have destroyed the program.

Looks like FSU saw Wake as a cautionary tale. Maybe Taggert would turn out to be a decent coach. There are a lot of signs that he would not. FSU was not willing to bank the reputation of their program on the off chance that Taggert's first 2 years would not be representative of the next 4 years.

If Wake had taken that approach, then the BZ era would have been a tiny blip and Wake Basketball would still be a thing.
Seems like one of the two programs understands the cost/benefits of gambling your program on long shot.

I would be floored if FSU considered Wake basketball for one second when making this decision about their football program.

I think Kendall Briles is terrible. His playcalling was awful. Keep him on board, I say.

Agree. He became extremely predictable during his couple of years as OC for us and it's clear that he doesn't have nearly the offensive mind of his dad.

Agree. He became extremely predictable during his couple of years as OC for us and it's clear that he doesn't have nearly the offensive mind of his dad.

he also looks like a total donk out there. what's with the taped fingers?

Back