• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

Does it really count as a home opener if the crowd is 80% App fans :plos:

Do you think App will be ranked preseason? It would be nice to get a ranked team for the home opener.

Yeah, I think App will open around 23/24 next year. Unless they lose to UAB of course. But I really think that will be an ass kicking. App returns a pretty loaded roster with all of their key players being seniors next year. With a double digit win vs. UAB, I think App comes to Winston ranked.

I mean, very few rankings voters know anything about App. And those who do know that they just lost their coach. So I will be surprised if App is ranked.

For reference, 2017 National Champion UCF was the only G5 team ranked in the 2019 preseason AP Top 25 poll at #17. Stanford was #25 with 141 votes and others receiving votes were: Boise State 38, Cincinnati 16, Fresno State 8, Utah State 8, Memphis 6, Appalachian State 5, UAB 3.

Based on that, I'd guess App State won't be ranked, whether it's deserved or not.

For reference, 2017 National Champion UCF was the only G5 team ranked in the 2019 preseason AP Top 25 poll at #17. Stanford was #25 with 141 votes and others receiving votes were: Boise State 38, Cincinnati 16, Fresno State 8, Utah State 8, Memphis 6, Appalachian State 5, UAB 3.

Based on that, I'd guess App State won't be ranked, whether it's deserved or not.

Agreed, voters are idiots. App will either need to beat someone or get to 5-0 before they get ranked.

I mean, very few rankings voters know anything about App. And those who do know that they just lost their coach. So I will be surprised if App is ranked.

They know enough about them to rank them now.

Agreed, voters are idiots. App will either need to beat someone or get to 5-0 before they get ranked.

App opens with a cupcake at home then, @WF, @Wisconsin.

Wisconsin will likely be top 10? Wake has an outside potential to be ranked as well I'd imagine? At least receiving votes. It would only take two games if they're indeed not ranked to start the season. Beating Wisconsin in game 3 would make it a no brainer.

I still say App will open at 23-25 with a double digit win vs. UAB.

I don't see Wake ranked presesason. Maybe they'll get a handful of votes. Maybe Virginia if they win the Orange Bowl, even though Perkins is a senior. Maybe Va Tech.

UVA opens next year against UGA in Atlanta. They could be ranked as an attempt to hype that game. Even if UVA is ranked to open the year, they aren't going to be ranked after that game.

Kind of weird scheduling for Clemson next year. They play 3 of their 4 OOC games in November (Notre Dame, Citadel and S. Carolina); their other OOC game is week #3. So, Clemson will be playing ACC games early.

Clemson getting two big wins en route to the championship would help the cause of ACC teams for rankings next year.

Clemson getting two big wins en route to the championship would help the cause of ACC teams for rankings next year.

Why would you think that ? Clemson annihilated every ACC team it played this year except UNC-CH.

It didn't help this year. Syracuse at #22 was the only other preseason ranked team from the ACC.

Others receiving votes: Miami 94, Virginia Tech 64, Virginia 30, NC State 12, Duke 10, Boston College 5, Florida State 4

If I had to guess, I would say that, other than Clemson, UNC-CH and Va Tech will get the most votes in the 2020 preseason poll, hopefully followed by Wake, Virginia, and Pitt.

if UNC wins their bowl (or maybe it doesn't matter) I could def see them being preseason ranked

if UNC wins their bowl (or maybe it doesn't matter) I could def see them being preseason ranked

Doesn't matter. Mack is Back ! Lost a bunch of games by one score. Blah, blah, blah . . .

BTW, UNC-CH opens up at UCF and then plays Auburn in Atlanta next year before their home opener against JMU, which is currently 12-1, won the CAA this year, and is in the second round of the FBS playoffs.

Their other home games next year are UConn, Ga Tech, NC State, Pitt, and Va Tech.

Away games are: BC, Duke, Miami, UVA

Last edited:
BTW, UNC-CH opens up at UCF and then plays Auburn in Atlanta next year before their home opener against JMU, which is currently 12-1, won the CAA this year, and is in the second round of the FBS playoffs.

I smell 0-3.

Why would you think that ? Clemson annihilated every ACC team it played this year except UNC-CH.

It didn't help this year. Syracuse at #22 was the only other preseason ranked team from the ACC.

Others receiving votes: Miami 94, Virginia Tech 64, Virginia 30, NC State 12, Duke 10, Boston College 5, Florida State 4

If I had to guess, I would say that, other than Clemson, UNC-CH and Va Tech will get the most votes in the 2020 preseason poll, hopefully followed by Wake, Virginia, and Pitt.

If Clemson beats the best of the B1G and SEC/Big12 by three touchdowns, that would put a different perspective on their decimation of the ACC.

It will also help if the other ACC teams (Wake included here) do their part when matched against other P5 teams.

If Clemson beats the best of the B1G and SEC/Big12 by three touchdowns, that would put a different perspective on their decimation of the ACC.

It will also help if the other ACC teams (Wake included here) do their part when matched against other P5 teams.

That's what happened last year against Notre Dame and Alabama. No effect.

We beat Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl and they got preseason votes and we didn't.

Back