• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

I don't get Baylor. Babtist school and of their last handful of football and basketball coaching hires, they hired Briles who managed a rape-heavy team for a few years, and their last basketball coach before Scott Drew tried to cover up the murder of one of his players (Dennehy) by another player (Dotson). On the bright side, not sure that covering up a murder is a recruiting or NCAA violation. On the other, it is a state and federal crime.

So, yeah, they made good hires the last three times, four if you include Jim Grobe. Before that, not really.

I don't get Baylor. Babtist school and of their last handful of football and basketball coaching hires, they hired Briles who managed a rape-heavy team for a few years, and their last basketball coach before Scott Drew tried to cover up the murder of one of his players (Dennehy) by another player (Dotson). On the bright side, not sure that covering up a murder is a recruiting or NCAA violation. On the other, it is a state and federal crime.

So, yeah, they made good hires the last three times, four if you include Jim Grobe. Before that, not really.

Not sure if it really matters, but Dave Bliss didn't try to cover up a murder. The murder happened, but he tried to get the players to lie and say Dennehy was a drug dealer in order to cover up the money that Bliss was giving him.

I graduated that summer - it was a very strange time. There were players driving around in new Tahoes and everyone knew they were getting money...it wasn't exactly a secret. Dave Bliss was just a piece of shit.

Culture! It is interesting that the VT AD is saying he was not asked directly by Baylor for permission to talk with Fuente before he heard from the coach himself.

Last edited:
That's a stunning stat. Virginia isn't a particularly talent heavy state. They only have 6 4* or 5* prospects compared to 12 in NC according to 247. (By comparison, FL has 61.)

The Tidewater/Hampton Roads area has produced some ridiculous athletes. Iverson, Mike Vick, Ron Curry (crazy underrated), Lawrence Taylor, Percy Harvin, Kam Chancellor, Bruce Smith, Justin Upton, etc. Top tier guys. Plaxico Burress, Dre Bly, so many.

Last edited:
Dantonio out at Michigan State.

Does that mean they hire Luke Fickell or Pat Narduzzi?

Not to mention, we're his last fucking win of his (possibly dirty) career.
Wonderful.

Dantonio resigns only 2 weeks after accepting a $4.3 million "retention bonus" and only hours before the below comes out re: possible NCAA violations (and an ongoing lawsuit).

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2020/02/04/blackwell-lawyers-detail-allegations-msus-mark-dantonio-committed-multiple-ncaa-violations/4655797002/

Dude always seemed pretty scummy to me, and had too many players involved with sexual assault in recent years.

He did go to the University of South Carolina. Scummy was ingrained in him early on considering the school and that he played under Carlen. I went to a school with Carlen’s late in life son who is currently in prison for killing someone while driving drunk. I envision Carlen’s students being taught in the same way as Carlen’s huge ass of a son.

Last edited:
This is definitely one of the jobs Claws could leave for. Thankfully our dreadful final month of the season may help us retain our coach.

If we had beaten Cuse and MSU, Clawson would be the no-brainer choice after the Dantonio disciples.

Michigan St is always going to play 4th fiddle to tOSU, Michigan, and Penn St in their own division. Sure they had some success under Dantonio, and have a ton of resources as a massive state school, but they've been terrible lately and have had a lot of turmoil in the AD (and school in general). Would be surprised if Claw would jump ship for an opportunity like that (or if they'd want him right now).

Definitely a rebuild scenario. Their 2020 class has 22 3* and no 4* or 5*. I think recruits have known the hammer was coming (along with consecutive 7-6 seasons). Clawson's resume would seem to be a good fit.

I don't know how attractive the Michigan State job is compared to Wake Forest.

Realize that they have a substantially more impressive college football legacy (hard to find a school that does not), a much larger fanbase, and the ability to essentially recruit anyone that can qualify, but the way things stand today, it's easier for WF to finish in top 3 of the ACC Coastal than it is for MSU in the Big Ten East. On top of that, the University took a huge hit in light of the Larry Nasser scandal. Then, you have the quality of life of East Lansing, Michigan issue.

Also, this past season was the year that Michigan State football was expected to re-emerge on the national landscape, but they flopped. The Spartans lost a ton of talent off this year's team, while tOSU, Michigan and Penn State re-loaded. D'Antonio is leaving because the program is heading in the wrong direction, and the ability to climb the hill has only gotten tougher.

Definitely a rebuild scenario. Their 2020 class has 22 3* and no 4* or 5*. I think recruits have known the hammer was coming (along with consecutive 7-6 seasons). Clawson's resume would seem to be a good fit.

Unless a ton of kids transfer, it's not a total rebuild. There's plenty of quality on the roster. The biggest issue is at QB where they are young and unproven.

I don't know how attractive the Michigan State job is compared to Wake Forest.

Realize that they have a substantially more impressive college football legacy (hard to find a school that does not), a much larger fanbase, and the ability to essentially recruit anyone that can qualify, but the way things stand today, it's easier for WF to finish in top 3 of the ACC Coastal than it is for MSU in the Big Ten East. On top of that, the University took a huge hit in light of the Larry Nasser scandal. Then, you have the quality of life of East Lansing, Michigan issue.

Also, this past season was the year that Michigan State football was expected to re-emerge on the national landscape, but they flopped. The Spartans lost a ton of talent off this year's team, while tOSU, Michigan and Penn State re-loaded. D'Antonio is leaving because the program is heading in the wrong direction, and the ability to climb the hill has only gotten tougher.

The biggest issue with the job imo is that Dantonio is leaving under a cloud and it is plausible that there could be ncaa troubles that follow him.

The biggest issue with the job imo is that Dantonio is leaving under a cloud and it is plausible that there could be ncaa troubles that follow him.

Agree. There's a lot of problems that MSU has been facing the past few years. Some in the football program, some in other sports. Overall, not a very stellar reputation.

Back