• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Legal advice - underage drinking related

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
The son of a friend of ours got a ticket for underage possession of alcohol - he was walking through a parking lot carrying an unopened 12 pack. He had not been drinking. The ticket is under NCGS 18b-302(b)(1).
How is this different from a ticket for underage drinking? How concerned should they be about it? Do they need to hire an attorney to fight it? Or what? Their main concern, of course, is any long-term impact from this being on his record.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Paying whatever it costs for a lawyer who can make sure it doesn’t show up on his record will be worth it to avoid hassles in the future (job, professional licenses, travel, clearances, etc).

Man. How does one get caught doing that ? Are we really paying cops to do stings in a parking lot?

Man. How does one get caught doing that ? Are we really paying cops to do stings in a parking lot?

well, this superspy decided that waltzing through a parking lot with a 12 pack of alcohol was a great idea

well, this superspy decided that waltzing through a parking lot with a 12 pack of alcohol was a great idea

Did you ever buy beer with a fake ID? If so, how'd you get it from the store to your car? Ever park at at apt complex and bring beer?

ALE just sucks. A friend of mine got arrested at a Wake tailgate in ~2008 for "endangering the life of a police officer". All she was doing was pointing out the ALE officer to people so they'd hide their beers or walk the other way.

ALE officers are the bottom of the barrel. Lower than detention center staff.

I watched one be cross-examined once. It was...well, motion to dismiss granted. I couldn't believe that the due was actually drawing a paycheck. Full on mouth-breather.

Did you ever buy beer with a fake ID? If so, how'd you get it from the store to your car? Ever park at at apt complex and bring beer?

ALE just sucks. A friend of mine got arrested at a Wake tailgate in ~2008 for "endangering the life of a police officer". All she was doing was pointing out the ALE officer to people so they'd hide their beers or walk the other way.

you shove the bottles up your ass like everyone else

ALE officers are the bottom of the barrel. Lower than detention center staff.

I watched one be cross-examined once. It was...well, motion to dismiss granted. I couldn't believe that the due was actually drawing a paycheck. Full on mouth-breather.

I love the clothes those fucking doinks wear when they're supposedly incognito. Bought exclusively at the jerk store. Lifelong virgins.

Maybe this is a silly question, but if it's just a ticket and not an arrest, does it really matter?

I got two tickets at 25-ish in Wrightsville for open container and littering (once I saw the cops on the sidewalk I carefully placed my beer down so I could pick it back up later), and there were pretty much zero ramifications apart from paying the ticket. Passed multiple background checks since.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but if this is a big deal that's kind of crazy to me. I don't know man, this world is fucked so it probably is a big deal somehow.

Last edited:
A few years ago VA ABC officers pulled a gun on a UVA student buying La Croix.

Maybe this is a silly question, but if it's just a ticket and not an arrest, does it really matter?

I got two tickets at 25-ish in Wrightsville for open container and littering (once I saw the cops on the sidewalk I carefully placed my beer down so I could pick it back up later), and there were pretty much zero ramifications apart from paying the ticket. Passed multiple background checks since.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but if this is a big deal that's kind of crazy to me. I don't know man, this world is fucked so it probably is a big deal somehow.

I agree with this. I spent a lot of money (relatively at the time) and 10 hours of alcohol awareness classes (in Kernersville, FTW!) and 24 hours of community service to get two drinking tickets removed. Have friends who didn't, and nothing ever came up. Hell, I have several friends with DUIs that have never posed a problem.

Basically, if it's just a minor underage possession/consumption, I don't think it's at all necessary to get it wiped. Maybe if the kid wants to be an FBI agent or something, but probably not even then.

I love that all legal question threads, excluding maybe a speeding ticket, are always for friends.
You are a solid friend scooter, to find out that the ticket was under NCGS 18b-302(b)(1) before starting the thread.

The ticket has the statute violation I am pretty sure.

I love that all legal question threads, excluding maybe a speeding ticket, are always for friends.
You are a solid friend scooter, to find out that the ticket was under NCGS 18b-302(b)(1) before starting the thread.

HaHa - I knew it would sound cliche to say it was for a friend... But, my kids are both of legal age at this point, so we don't have to worry about these issues anymore... And, as Chris says, the statute is, in fact, on the ticket. I looked the statute up, just for fun, but it didn't really tell me anything new.

I am a lawyer so friends ask me these questions - but my practice couldn't be any further from this kind of thing.

My wife and I were sitting at the bar at a brewpub in Asheville at like 6 or 7 pm on a week night and got swarmed by 4 ALE officers demanding to see our IDs. We were like who are you and why? We were 27 at the time. Left them with a nice keep up the good work officers.

IIRC a UVA girl got chased down a couple of years ago by 4 plain-clothes Virginia ABC officers with guns, that didnt identify themselves as cops.

She bumped one of them with her car and was charged with felonious assault & evading arrest.

The best part was that she was buying La Croix (non-alcoholic) sparkling water for a sorority fundraiser.

Police are the best.

She got PAID (and obviously her charges were dropped) but not before a night in jail & some solid PTSD.

Eta: I got most of the details right https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...udent-who-bought-water-riles-many-in-virginia

ETA2: I probably undersold what happened. They drew their weapons, one jumped on her hood, and the agency investigated their own incident and found no wrong doing. lol

Last edited:
IIRC a UVA girl got chased down a couple of years ago by 4 plain-clothes Virginia ABC officers with guns, that didnt identify themselves as cops.

She bumped one of them with her car and was charged with felonious assault & evading arrest.

The best part was that she was buying La Croix (non-alcoholic) sparkling water for a sorority fundraiser.

Police are the best.

She got PAID (and obviously her charges were dropped) but not before a night in jail & some solid PTSD.

Eta: I got most of the details right https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...udent-who-bought-water-riles-many-in-virginia

ETA2: I probably undersold what happened. They drew their weapons, one jumped on her hood, and the agency investigated their own incident and found no wrong doing. lol

$212,500 is hardly getting "PAID" for having to endure that trauma and 15 grueling months of battling bullshit charges.

Back