• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

wireless network question

ImTheCaptain

I disagree with you
Reaction score
I've got a wireless repeater that as far as I can tell is configured properly and connecting to my home network but will not allow connection to the internet. The router is registering its existence and is allowing it to connect. Wtf is this thing's problem?

I have also tried unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Sounds like you've got a real mesh on your hands

ETA: Out yourself, willie tagger-t

Last edited:
How are you testing? What steps are you following?

How are you testing? What steps are you following?

i don't have a lot of skillz so testing is "check the settings and then switch over to the repeater SSID and try to go to a website to see if its' working yet"

i guess what is a process i can do to troubleshoot this bit more effectively

we recently moved and the repeater worked in the old house with a different router. the repeater did detect all the new settings as far as i can tell

Does it come with a firewall? I had a new wireless router once that allowed connection for a few minutes then nothing. Turning off the router's firewall resolved my issue. Not sure how well this applies to you though.

Throw it away, repeaters are awful. Get an Orbi setup, the RBK50.

+1

Orbi is the only mesh network solution I've ever seen that doesn't break all the damn time.

ugh, i just spent $150 on a new nighthawk

so with the Orbi i throw away the current router and buy a couple satellites?

Does it come with a firewall? I had a new wireless router once that allowed connection for a few minutes then nothing. Turning off the router's firewall resolved my issue. Not sure how well this applies to you though.

This could be the issue. Firewalls generally ship configured to deny everything. The user then opens up traffic to specific port numbers. If the firewall is denying HTTP traffic, for example, you wouldn’t be able to access the internet. Turning off the firewall would open everything up.

i think i'm going to check on the firewall settings when i get home

but after doing some research that i should've done before i bought a new router it looks like i'm going to want to switch to a mesh system

+1

Orbi is the only mesh network solution I've ever seen that doesn't break all the damn time.

+1

I love my Orbi. Sometimes the firmware has issues, but not game changers.

For some reason, my RBK50 limits my internet connection to 350 mbps. If I plug directly to the fiber router, I get close to gigabit, but hardwire on the Orbi, or direct from the Orbi's tester isn't nearly as fast. :(

ugh, i just spent $150 on a new nighthawk

so with the Orbi i throw away the current router and buy a couple satellites?

The kit I got comes with the Orbi router/base (RBK50) and a satellite (RBS50). Depending on the size of your house, you might want to buy another satellite. 2 covered all of my house except for the bonus room, so I bought another satellite and can saturate the entire house.

+1

I love my Orbi. Sometimes the firmware has issues, but not game changers.

For some reason, my RBK50 limits my internet connection to 350 mbps. If I plug directly to the fiber router, I get close to gigabit, but hardwire on the Orbi, or direct from the Orbi's tester isn't nearly as fast. :(

1%'er problems. If only I had gigabit available. :plos:

+111

I have an Orbi setup at home with 2 satellites on a 1GB connection that works great. Also have an Orbi Biz setup at my business on a 20x20 fiber connection that is awesome. They are both super reliable.

Sounds like a setting somewhere. I get 900+ download on my GB connection over Wifi connected to a satellite.

Sounds like a setting somewhere. I get 900+ download on my GB connection over Wifi connected to a satellite.

Huh... I guess it's not a hardware limitation. If there's a setting, I haven't seen it, but I'll double-check.

Depending on the size of the house and the features you're interested in, Orbi can be a better choice than Ubiquiti. For my house which is around 4,300 sqft and 3 stories, the Orbi significantly outperformed Ubiquiti.

Back