• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much would you donate to pay off Danny Manning's buyout?

How much would you donate to get rid of Danny?

• Nothing, the AD has lost me forever

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • $1 dollar

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • $10 dollars

• $100 dollars

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • $1000 dollars

• More than $1K, fuck Manning

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The idea of my money going directly to Manning sickens me. I don't care about Wake hoops anymore. Let it burn.

Not a goddamn penny. The University has perpetuated this shitshow through its own gross negligence. It has plenty of money, it needs to eat all the cost and apologize while doing so. Our decade of sorrow has been payment enough.

The big guys were almost certainly part of creating this shitshow 10 years ago, and they obviously have plenty of money that they're willing to donate to WF given their names on numerous new athletic buildings, so let them pay the buyout.

I said $1 because the AD hasn’t lost me forever, but there is no way I want any of my (real) money going to that clown. They made the mess, let them pay for it.

The really sad part is that loss of donations because of Manning effectively means loss of money for other sports. But I guess all the more reason for them to make the buyout happen.

Who cares about basketball?! Wake Forest is a football school!

I said $1 because the AD hasn’t lost me forever, but there is no way I want any of my (real) money going to that clown. They made the mess, let them pay for it.

Yup. AD has lost me until they show they will fix this. I've found other priorities for my money and time that Wake will need to win back.

Wellman should be the only one on the hook for Manning's buyout.

his contract will end eventually

Yeah, unless he catches lightning in a bottle again, recruits another John Collins and we finish 10th in the ACC and make the "first round" of the NCAA tournament and gets another extension. Maybe, just maybe Currie isn't stupid enough to do that.

$1 as I would have no input into the hire. I suspect Currie is well aware of the unrest among fans and i will give him the benefit of doubt he will go after the best available coach. I really doubt Wellman gave Manning a do or die ultimatum but I bet Currie has.

"Nothing - Kidnapping Wellman for ransom toward the buyout problem he created" isn't an option?

Instead of buying him out, which is just a euphemism for paying someone 8-figures not to work while simultaneously asking alumni to part with their hard earned cash and telling said alumni to go fuck themselves whenever criticism of the resulting product is warranted and given...

If wakelaw13 was the AD: complete transparency and honesty. Admit that my predecessor agreed to perhaps the worst contract in University history. Admit that contract, coupled with the previous hire, are a large reason why he isn't around any longer. Disclose the contract. Disclose the buyout. Then, explain that I am totally unsatisfied with the job Manning has done thus far. It falls far below our expectations as an athletic department. However, I don't believe it's fair to our University, alumni, donors, and fans to pay this failure a whopping amount of money not to work. Instead, we have given him two options. He can stay and fulfill the remainder of his contract. If he choses to stay, I sincerely hope that he succeeds. However, I have offered him a release from the current contract and expressed that I will accept his resignation should it be tendered.

I know this never ever happens. I fully expect the result would be Manning stays for 1-2 more years. But the fanbase would know where the AD stands. Manning would know his time is coming to an end. Hell, he may seek out another job over the combination of embarrassment and the desire to continue coaching somewhere he has a chance. And hopefully, the disgust over the basketball program would stop affecting other sports. I fully believe our football attendance has been suffering because of that, and it's not fair to Clawson and that team.

$0 but not voting that option because the AD hasn’t lost me forever. BBall has for the foreseeable future. I was always a football first guy and now that we have sustained competitive teams in that then I’m happy. B-ball was fun when we were good. I still watch but I didn’t care at all that we lost last night. 10 years ago I would’ve been mad but it will take a lot to get me back to actually caring.

Instead of buying him out, which is just a euphemism for paying someone 8-figures not to work while simultaneously asking alumni to part with their hard earned cash and telling said alumni to go fuck themselves whenever criticism of the resulting product is warranted and given...

If wakelaw13 was the AD: complete transparency and honesty. Admit that my predecessor agreed to perhaps the worst contract in University history. Admit that contract, coupled with the previous hire, are a large reason why he isn't around any longer. Disclose the contract. Disclose the buyout. Then, explain that I am totally unsatisfied with the job Manning has done thus far. It falls far below our expectations as an athletic department. However, I don't believe it's fair to our University, alumni, donors, and fans to pay this failure a whopping amount of money not to work. Instead, we have given him two options. He can stay and fulfill the remainder of his contract. If he choses to stay, I sincerely hope that he succeeds. However, I have offered him a release from the current contract and expressed that I will accept his resignation should it be tendered.

I know this never ever happens. I fully expect the result would be Manning stays for 1-2 more years. But the fanbase would know where the AD stands. Manning would know his time is coming to an end. Hell, he may seek out another job over the combination of embarrassment and the desire to continue coaching somewhere he has a chance. And hopefully, the disgust over the basketball program would stop affecting other sports. I fully believe our football attendance has been suffering because of that, and it's not fair to Clawson and that team.

Football attendance has been pretty good.

Football attendance has been pretty good.

I've been at every home game with the exception of FSU and I wholeheartedly disagree that attendance has been pretty good. We're a top-20 team that can't fill a 30,000 seat stadium unless the away team is bringing 10-12k fans.

Seriously, anyone think Manning might ever feel enough misery to negotiate his way out of his contract? He has to know how much the fan base detests him. Money aside, how do you show up each day and watch yourself fail and fail again.

I've been at every home game with the exception of FSU and I wholeheartedly disagree that attendance has been pretty good. We're a top-20 team that can't fill a 30,000 seat stadium unless the away team is bringing 10-12k fans.

We've had two Friday night games, a game against Elon, a Saturday night game during fall break, and a Saturday night game in a driving rain storm, before a virtual sellout on a beautiful fall day against an in-state ACC rival, in a city that doesn't have sufficient hotel rooms for its small out of town fanbase.

Back