• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Columbia Lions ACCN Extra - Sunday 2 pm

Pilchard

Reaction score
With the excitement building (ok, crumbling) for this WF basketball season, here is the preview of the Deacs 2nd opponent -- The Columbia Lions of the Ivy League

2019-20 Outlook: Columbia finished last season 10-18 (5-9 7th), but the Lions looked like an ascending team as Columbia expected to return 4 starters from the 2018-9, plus leading scorer from 2017-8, Mike Smith, was back from a torn meniscus that caused him to miss all, but 7 games from last season. The pre-season wasn't kind to the Lions as Columbia's two returning all-Ivy players are currently not available. Gabe Stefanini who led the Ivy League in assists and averaged 13 ppg last year a foot issues and is out until at least January. Then, on the eve of the start of the season, Lion Center, 6-10 Patrick Tape (from Matthews, NC) announced he would transfer (WF?). As a result, Columbia has started this season short-handed. Columbia's current KP is #158, but that ranking is likely to drop in light of their personnel losses.

The season so far: Columbia opened their season on Tuesday at Lafayette (a low end Patriot League team - #245), and lost 65-63. Columbia trailed almost the entire 2nd half and were down 12 with 11 minutes to go. Columbia made a late run, but missed a 3 with 14 seconds left and lost by 2. 5-11 G Mike Smith (2018 leading scorer) led Columbia with 22 (2 for 6 from 3), and 6-7 C Ike Nweke was the only other Lion player in double figures with 12 points; he also led Columbia in rebounding with 7. Columbia's other 3 starters are 6-7 F Randy Brumant, 6-5 Jake Killingsworth and 6-3 Tai Bibbs. Lafayette shredded Columbia on the boards outrebounding the Lions 37-27. Columbia did force 22 Lafayette turnovers. Columbia shot poorly from deep (26%), but it appears all, but the Center Nweke, shoot from deep. Columbia spread its minutes among 9 players with 8 getting 11 minutes or more.

The prediction: KP projects a riveting 78-69 WF win. WF is a bigger, healthier and more talented team. So, the Deacs should coast right? If the game was decided on talent alone, of course, but what edges WF possesses in size and basketball talent, it gives up in preparation and execution. So, I guess WF will win, but WF has lost to far worse teams in recent seasons. Tune on Sunday to find out.

BTW, after the BC loss, KP has revised its final regular season record for WF to 11-17 and 6-14. Can not wait.... for it to be over...

Last edited:
every student at Columbia has to pass a swim test, because Manhattan is an island and one must be able to get off the island in an emergency*

*except for engineering students, who petitioned years ago for exemption based on the premise that as engineers, they could build a boat or bridge. not sure how they would do that during an emergency, but there you have it

that's my input on Columbia

oh, and Manning will likely get a win over a team wearing baby blue

This has L written all over it.

Just as every other game Manning is the coach for does.

One of GDO's best recruits almost became a legacy Columbia player - Aron McMillian.

I'm going to watch this, because I am a masochist.

Can't bring myself to make a prediction, though.

Losing on the road to a shitty BC team is one thing... If we start piling up losses to cupcakes, Currie is going to have to start answering questions sooner than later. I guess that's the silver lining. Admittedly a stretch.

Wellman didn’t have to answer questions. Why would Currie?

Columbia is -7 per Vegas.

Tells us everything we need to know about this game.
Frankly, I think the Lions beat the spread.

There are probably a few of us out there, but I'll confess to being a graduate of both Wake (undergrad, class of '82) and Columbia (law school, '85). I don't know who to root for in this one. It probably makes sense to just not even think about it and look up the score next week. If Wake wins, it's both good news (a win is a win and the kids on the team need our support) and bad news (maybe we don't suck so Currie will keep DM around for another year, which is too terrible to contemplate). If Columbia wins, it is something their players will always remember. Kind of a push. Not that any of this matters in the scheme of things.

Wellman didn’t have to answer questions. Why would Currie?

Perhaps wishful thinking, but Currie had made a point to be a lot more visible on social media and with the press.

For example, we got a new "From the Quad" e-mail today. Fairly lengthy e-mail and this is what it said about hoops:

ACC Basketball is Back!
Basketball has begun and we have a split in our opening games as our women started their season off with a 65-55 victory over UNCW at the Joel on Tuesday night. They’re in action at home again tonight at 7 p.m. against College of Charleston. In Boston we saw the men’s team fight back in the second half before falling to Boston College in the first of 20 ACC games in our league’s new expanded schedule.

Men’s basketball season tickets are still available, and we also have several package deals including Pick 5 and Pick 7, the Best Darn Package, and a “Big Four” three-game package. Single game tickets are now on-sale to the general public as well, and remember that we’re still offering the innovative Deacon Mobile Pass which gets you easy access to every men’s and women’s home game for only $200. For more information on all of our men’s basketball ticket options, click here. For women’s basketball season and single game tickets, click here.

That shit isn't going to cut it when it is obvious to everyone that we are terrible. The fact that Currie was sitting right next to Manning during the BC game (and clearly taking notes... or at least writing down his grocery list like I do in my meetings) tells me he's not blind to our futility. I'm still holding out hope that he understands the gravity of the situation... But it's possible that I just want to believe.

Always remember that Columbia had that color blue before UNC, so it's technically Columbia Blue.

Which would you rather do Sunday ?

A - Go to the game

B - Rake the leaves

C - Take a nap

Back