• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donavon Greene

What? It isn't about safety. The thing that makes Hinton dangerous in the wildcat, is that he is a threat to throw. He can't throw to Washington, Surratt or himself. That leaves your bae and who else?

The back up slot, Roberson.

We are going to need two of Jones, Perry, Greene and Jack F. to step up and have big games against Duke and Syracuse. I hope the coaches also get our faster RB's in the game more. We will need some people to make some plays that haven't the last 2 weeks.

We are going to need two of Jones, Perry, Greene and Jack F. to step up and have big games against Duke and Syracuse. I hope the coaches also get our faster RB's in the game more. We will need some people to make some plays that haven't the last 2 weeks.

Agree. Flowers showed some quickness against Clemson and, like Greene, can play the next 3 games without losing his redshirt year.

Awesome catch and some great blocking on Cade's run. He looks like the real deal.

Will get plenty of reps during bowl game practice. Should develop some chemistry with Newman.

Will get plenty of reps during bowl game practice. Should develop some chemistry with Newman.

That is part of the reason making bowl games is important. Particularly for developmental programs like Wake. Those 20 extra sessions of practice time will pay big dividends in future seasons.

So Happy for Donavan as a former Mt. Airy Bear myself!
Great kid on and off the field.

Agree. Flowers showed some quickness against Clemson and, like Greene, can play the next 3 games without losing his redshirt year.

I was kind of surprised Flowers didn’t get some action last night, but I guess between Jamie, Cade and Walker being so effective it was hard to get him in.

I was kind of surprised Flowers didn’t get some action last night, but I guess between Jamie, Cade and Walker being so effective it was hard to get him in.
The problem was that cade wasn't effective until the last drive and hasn't been effective all year except for a few short spurts. Our backup is more talented but the coaches continue to defer to cade to lead back carries.

The problem was that cade wasn't effective until the last drive and hasn't been effective all year except for a few short spurts. Our backup is more talented but the coaches continue to defer to cade to lead back carries.

Cade is so much better at the other things though. He’s an exceptional pass blocker, and that play where he took the pitch from Jamie as he was going down and got back to the LOS is a good example of his value. I get it. I disagree with it, but I understand why he starts. He also really seems like a tremendous teammate, and the coaches probably overly insist on rewarding that. Carney was most effective as a change of pace back. We’re just not the offense for his skill set to be a great starting TB.

Cade is so much better at the other things though. He’s an exceptional pass blocker, and that play where he took the pitch from Jamie as he was going down and got back to the LOS is a good example of his value. I get it. I disagree with it, but I understand why he starts. He also really seems like a tremendous teammate, and the coaches probably overly insist on rewarding that. Carney was most effective as a change of pace back. We’re just not the offense for his skill set to be a great starting TB.

In a different era, Cade would be a fullback. Personal protector of the QB. Lead blocker on many runs. Carney runs like guys who used to be called fullbacks. Gets tough yards. Just not a lot at a time.

When Newman pulls the ball, Carney has stoned many blitzers. He has also slowed and redirected D-linemen who get past their initial blockers.

He would be a great up back or fullback if Wake ever ran from I formation.

I don't want to denigrate Carney. He has been a warrior and I am so happy for him that he scored the game clinching TD.

I agree that the delayed mesh point RPO just isn't the best offense for his skill set. He is most effective as the battering ram getting a head of steam running back where his momentum gives him the opportunity to break arm tackles and get to the 2nd level.

Carney’s struggles this year have really made me appreciate what he had in Colburn. Perfect back for what we want to do. The problem with the hurry up is that you have to have backs that can do it all. Walker is not that back quite yet. What he does he does incredibly well. What he struggles with (pass blocking, catching, route running, etc.) can absolutely kill a drive.

Why don’t we run sets with 2 RBs? Especially when we’re down two starting receivers. Seems like Carney and Walker on the field together would be our most dangerous personnel group. Either go 3 wides or have the TE in and Hinton/Greene wide. I’d like to see Walker running with a lead blocker. And the RPO would be fun with two other guys in the backfield.

Carney’s struggles this year have really made me appreciate what he had in Colburn. Perfect back for what we want to do. The problem with the hurry up is that you have to have backs that can do it all. Walker is not that back quite yet. What he does he does incredibly well. What he struggles with (pass blocking, catching, route running, etc.) can absolutely kill a drive.

Considering we have thrown to our backs a grand total of maybe 3 times all year, route running and catching aren't really that important.

Back