• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donavon Greene

The one swing pass that bounced off Walker would have gone for at least 20. Needs to work on pass catching.

Considering we have thrown to our backs a grand total of maybe 3 times all year, route running and catching aren't really that important.

Well, Carney and Beal-Smith have 6 catches each and KW3 has 2 ... so I think your math is off.

The one swing pass that bounced off Walker would have gone for at least 20. Needs to work on pass catching.

That play looked to be very promising as it set up. Have we used that type play before? Hopefully, again.

For whatever reason, people here seem fixated on picking apart the offense, either personnel use or play-calling even after rolling up 600+ yards of offense and even without WF's best (and 3rd or 4th best) offensive players. Baffling.

The offense is not the problem with this team. With even a below average kick coverage team, WF would be 9-2 and likely headed to the Orange Bowl (and WF would've won by 30 last night; and a handful of other games would not have been as tight). Even taking WF's depth problems as a given, there is no reason why a savvy set of coaches can't solve the kickoff coverage issue to the point where WF is at least mediocre. FCS teams, with a 63 scholarship limit, are light-years better at covering kickoffs. Unreal that the coaching staff has been unable to address and solve this issue.

Last edited:
Well, Carney and Beal-Smith have 6 catches each and KW3 has 2 ... so I think your math is off.

Maybe. How many of those were out of the backfield vs. spread wide?

Thinking about it I bet most of those have been shuffle/shovel passes.

For whatever reason, people here seem fixated on picking apart the offense, either personnel use or play-calling even after rolling up 600+ yards of offense and even without WF's best (and 3rd or 4th best) offensive players. Baffling.

The offense is not the problem with this team. With even a below average kick coverage team, WF would be 9-2 and likely headed to the Orange Bowl (and WF would've won by 30 last night; and a handful of other games would not have been as tight). Even taking WF's depth problems as a given, there is no reason why a savvy set of coaches can't solve the kickoff coverage issue to the point where WF is at least mediocre. FCS teams, with a 63 scholarship limit, are light-years better at covering kickoffs. Unreal that the coaching staff has been unable to address and solve this issue.

The issues with the special teams have been discussed.

But regarding offense, the question isn't how much production you have and being happy with it. The question is utilizing your talent to be the most effective and efficient that you can be. This wake team has a collection of dynamic offensive talent like I have never seen before. It shouldn't surprise anybody that we are braking offensive records.

Still with 9 minutes left, we had 2 TDs and 4 FGs and trailed in the game. Fortunately we scored two TDs on our final possessions, but things happen in football games.

But regarding offense, the question isn't how much production you have and being happy with it. The question is utilizing your talent to be the most effective and efficient that you can be. This wake team has a collection of dynamic offensive talent like I have never seen before. It shouldn't surprise anybody that we are braking offensive records.

Still with 9 minutes left, we had 2 TDs and 4 FGs and trailed in the game. Fortunately we scored two TDs on our final possessions, but things happen in football games.

I'm sure the coaches would agree that they can improve, but it's surprising to me to see Wake on the other end of the talent argument. So Wake has dynamic individual talent that is not being utilized? Not sure I agree. It's not like we're FSU and full of 4 and 5 stars, or sending 6-10 players per year to the NFL. And our production has continued now for at least 3 years with different personnel. It's the system that's putting good players in positions to be great and break records.

I'm sure the coaches would agree that they can improve, but it's surprising to me to see Wake on the other end of the talent argument. So Wake has dynamic individual talent that is not being utilized? Not sure I agree. It's not like we're FSU and full of 4 and 5 stars, or sending 6-10 players per year to the NFL. And our production has continued now for at least 3 years with different personnel. It's the system that's putting good players in positions to be great and break records.

I think our 3 starting receivers are overall the best in the conference and Kenneth Walker is averaging 6.5 yards per carry and a lot of that is on great individual effort and playmaking ability. It wasn't like he was running through car size holes in the offensive line last night. I can't think of a time that Wake had that many talented dynamic playmakers on the same team.

And that doesn't even include our QB who has NFL size and can run over people in addition to being a pretty good passer.

Last edited:
Well, two of WF’s best receivers have missed all or part of the last 3 games. When the weapons have been available, the offense has performed among the best in the country. When Washington and Sage are out, the offense doesn’t have elite talent. Sorry, but I don’t think the offense would be better if Chris was making personnel decisions at RB. Think Clawson and the offense are well aware of Walker’s talents and the things that he needs to work on.

I get that you disagree with me. I just don't understand how not getting much of any production out of the running back in a slow mesh point RPO for most of the game, like last night, gives you a better chance of winning than getting production out of the running back position.

Last edited:

Chris, I respect your opinions so many times but I believe the question is not production, it is to scheme game plans that put you in positions to have a chance to win games. Often with less raw physical talent than our opponents. Whether that is in close games or the 4th quarter when you have worn your opponent down with running plays, high tempo and a whole bunch of decisions on read plays. We are on the verge of tying our best record ever with offensive production these last few years the likes we should value not diminish.
Give thanks and enjoy the now.

Why don’t we run sets with 2 RBs? Especially when we’re down two starting receivers. Seems like Carney and Walker on the field together would be our most dangerous personnel group. Either go 3 wides or have the TE in and Hinton/Greene wide. I’d like to see Walker running with a lead blocker. And the RPO would be fun with two other guys in the backfield.

Kind of like the 1986 New England Patriots, who ran shot gun, with Tony Collins on one side of the quarterback, and Craig James on the other side. Worked until they hit the Super Bowl Bears.

He made a very hard catch look easy. You can’t teach talent like he has. So glad he chose WF over Duke, UNC, NCSU, USCar, Tennessee, VT, and Notre Dame.

The future looks bright. Refreshing to see a receiver not get chased down.

Back