• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donavon Greene

Hinton has played well in every game this year. We just need to use him more in creative ways.

He has been nothing short of amazing in his switch from QB to WR. The guy catches everything. I don't recall a drop by him all year. Without him we don't win vs Utah St or FSU and quite possibly BC.

The fact that Hinton has only run the ball one time this year is criminal

Hinton is the most dynamic runner on the team.

Amen. How do the coaches not see this?! He's almost Dortch 2.0. Had a 50+ run in our home spanking by them last year...

Put Hinton in the wildcat. No way the defense can stack the box on him. The only reason I can think of for the failure to let him run orbits or wildcat is his history of injuries and his injury early this year. There is no excuse for not using him for an orbit pass.

Put Hinton in the wildcat. No way the defense can stack the box on him. The only reason I can think of for the failure to let him run orbits or wildcat is his history of injuries and his injury early this year. There is no excuse for not using him for an orbit pass.

Maybe we should run him this week already down top two receivers?

Hinton needs to be targeted at least 10-15 times per game as a receiver. Additionally he should be used on sweeps (to pass as well as run) and in the wildcat formation. As others have said, he is by far our most dynamic player and the one best able to produce explosive plays. He needs for the ball to be in his hands often.

I hope his last 3 games are the most productive games of his career.

Hinton needs to be targeted at least 10-15 times per game as a receiver. Additionally he should be used on sweeps (to pass as well as run) and in the wildcat formation. As others have said, he is by far our most dynamic player and the one best able to produce explosive plays. He needs for the ball to be in his hands often.

I hope his last 3 games are the most productive games of his career.

Makes sense. Put him in the back field and none of our top three will be lined up as receiver.

If the offense consists or slow mesh point RPO to Carney with the hope that throws to Hinton are going to single-handily break down the Duke defense (which isn't bad), then we are probably going to not be effective moving the ball and we will lose. We need to be thinking outside the box of ways to get our playmakers (CBS, Walker and Hinton) the ball in space.

Add me to the chorus of those patiently waiting to see Hinton’s running and throwing ability brought to bear. Understandable that we would save that wrinkle for when we needed it, and we didn’t much need it early in the season when we were putting up 500 yards of offense. With Surratt and Washington down, though, now is the time to break it out.

Edited to add that there is really nothing to lose by shaking things up. Bowl eligibility is assured, but the division title race is over. Let’s have some fun with it and let Hinton go out swinging for the fences.

Last edited:
If the offense consists or slow mesh point RPO to Carney with the hope that throws to Hinton are going to single-handily break down the Duke defense (which isn't bad), then we are probably going to not be effective moving the ball and we will lose. We need to be thinking outside the box of ways to get our playmakers (CBS, Walker and Hinton) the ball in space.

The slant over the middle works BECAUSE the defense loads the box to stop Carney and Newman. For some strange reason the timing and accuracy was off vs VT and Clemson didn't need to load up the box for obvious reasons.

I definitely won't complain about a screen pass here or there. Hopefully we have a trick play if it is needed. The only way I see the orbit being used with Wake's current personnel, is in an option type play as a pitch man.

Would an orbit pass be safe enough?

What? It isn't about safety. The thing that makes Hinton dangerous in the wildcat, is that he is a threat to throw. He can't throw to Washington, Surratt or himself. That leaves your bae and who else?

The slant over the middle works BECAUSE the defense loads the box to stop Carney and Newman. For some strange reason the timing and accuracy was off vs VT and Clemson didn't need to load up the box for obvious reasons.

I definitely won't complain about a screen pass here or there. Hopefully we have a trick play if it is needed. The only way I see the orbit being used with Wake's current personnel, is in an option type play as a pitch man.

Wake on natural grass < Wake on terf!

The offense has been effective because you have a three-headed monster at receiver that we have been able to rely on to offset the fact that the running part of the RPO has been pretty ineffective. We've had a lot of drives bailed out by third-and-long passes to a covered Surratt or Washington that has kept the chains moving or generated big plays. Now we're down to one receiver and the evidence so far is that the RPO is not working with our current personnel. I'm concerned if we come with the same vanilla game plan that we've had all year that we're not going to be able to move the football.

I would like to have seen how the VT game played out had Newman hit Hinton on that crossing route when he was open with no VT defender on the side of the field towards which he was running. That was a big play missed.

The offense has been effective because you have a three-headed monster at receiver that we have been able to rely on to offset the fact that the running part of the RPO has been pretty ineffective. We've had a lot of drives bailed out by third-and-long passes to a covered Surratt or Washington that has kept the chains moving or generated big plays. Now we're down to one receiver and the evidence so far is that the RPO is not working with our current personnel. I'm concerned if we come with the same vanilla game plan that we've had all year that we're not going to be able to move the football.

No offense is as good without it's most talented players bailing it out. It's also tough to start trying to teach lineman how to cut block in week 11 because they want to run a couple orbit plays. Changing what you do isn't as easy as just calling a play. That's why I think screens and swing passes make more sense than orbits and reverses with this offense.

Back