• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: biff brings board balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home from our trip:
- Amsterdam was beautiful
- I have a new appreciation for Dutch ingenuity after seeing the windmills
- The Rhine gorge was spectacular
- Cologne is meh, but the cathedral was nice
- Strasbourg was great
- Black Forest = the Smokies, with germans and cuckoo clocks
- Mannheim = Cincinnati
- Bourgoune is amazing
- Paris is my new favorite city
- Top 5 meal of my life was at Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower, and I'm not sure it's not top 1
- The Normandy beaches and cemeteries are a must see for almost anyone; an old French guy talked my ear off in the train station for 45 minutes about how much he loves americans because of the liberation 75 years ago

French food kicks German food's ass.

Just got home from our trip:
- Amsterdam was beautiful
- I have a new appreciation for Dutch ingenuity after seeing the windmills
- The Rhine gorge was spectacular
- Cologne is meh, but the cathedral was nice
- Strasbourg was great
- Black Forest = the Smokies, with germans and cuckoo clocks
- Mannheim = Cincinnati
- Bourgoune is amazing
- Paris is my new favorite city
- Top 5 meal of my life was at Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower, and I'm not sure it's not top 1
- The Normandy beaches and cemeteries are a must see for almost anyone; an old French guy talked my ear off in the train station for 45 minutes about how much he loves americans because of the liberation 75 years ago

French food kicks German food's ass.

We were deciding between Strasbourg and Trier, I think we made the wrong decision going with the latter. My wife would disagree with you on the German food vs French food, but I think you´ve talked me into Jules Verne for Thanksgiving.

I still can't get over how deftly deaconbd manipulated the posters on this board. The man (or woman) was a mastermind.

This new ChrisTheDeacm89 needs to get a foot in his ass.

It amazes, and often frustrates, me how many people are willing to engage posters like BD who are clearly trolling. I fall into the trap from time to time--I even responded to Leyritz the other day--but posters like liveanddie, who have ongoing conversations with them or who actually care enough to get upset over what they say, blow my mind.

That said, BD fully deserves (deserved?) a ban. There are posters like Bud and Racer who contribute nothing to the board and are never worth engaging, but at least you can tell there's a real person expressing their real thoughts (such as they are) or emotions with their posts. ChrisD89 falls in the same category, unless he's a bizarro-world parody of Racer, and there seems to be too much effort for that. BD doesn't even do that. He's a pure troll, his whole shtick violates the "Don't be a douchebag" rule (which I wrote!), and he shouldn't continue to post here. Bud, Racer, and Chris stir up emotions and arguably make the board a worse place because they're miserable and/or irrational people. BD makes the board worse because it's his intention and purpose to make the board worse.

my front door with an electronic code for the handle is struggling mightily with this cold.

i'm afraid of being locked out as i don't actually have a key for that part, just the deadbolt.

i feel like replacing a door knob should be simple in theory but in actuality is hard?

Everyone go to Venice before it totally sinks and is submerged by the rising tides on our armageddon planet. Glad I got to live there for a few months. RIP Venice.

Visited Luxembourg this weekend, and boy what a beautiful city. Very clean, very rich and a melting pot of European cultures. You really feel like you are in Genovia (Princess Diaries shoutout). Its like if a ski town and Disney had a baby that was raised in Greenwich and designed a college campus.

Only complaint is the taxi prices are atrocious. We land at the airport and realize there are no ubers, so since we did no research we got in a cab, and saw how quickly the number went up, ended up being 55 Euro for a 5 mile drive.

Luxembourg is home to a American WW2 veteran´s cemetery, which was something to behold on Monday.

Also did Trier in Germany for a day, Schnitzel is great, but they were totally sold out of Bratwurst´s. Also, the cathedral is spectacular. Apparently its much nicer in the spring.

The people were very nice both times I was there. When we got away from the main downtown area to eat, the restaurateurs and diners were welcoming.

You can get virtually anywhere in Europe from their quaint train station.

Everyone go to Venice before it totally sinks and is submerged by the rising tides on our armageddon planet. Glad I got to live there for a few months. RIP Venice.

Damn, you lived in Venice. It was gorgeous, but 2 days were enough for me. Were you there before the cruise ships? That place is stupid crowded now.

Yes, '99 was pre-cruise ships -- at least I didn't see any, except in the shipyard in Mestre on the mainland. "Lived" as in lived at Casa Artom, so it sort of counts, but it was dope. Seeing a bunch of angry and sad posts from locals there today.

I went Spring semester, and, except for Carnevale, when I didn't really mind the crowds, it was pretty chill until Easter-ish. Damp, cold, misty, empty, echoey, Venice is the best place on earth.

But yeah, human traffic jams started forming near the touristy-centers once it started to get a little warm.

Last edited:
We were deciding between Strasbourg and Trier, I think we made the wrong decision going with the latter. My wife would disagree with you on the German food vs French food, but I think you´ve talked me into Jules Verne for Thanksgiving.

get those reservations soon....but holy shit was it worth it.

Lake Lucerne in Switzerland is the best Europe has to offer. Someone change my mind.

Lake Lucerne in Switzerland is the best Europe has to offer. Someone change my mind.

I went there a few years ago to start off a Europe trip with my wife before we had kids. It was nice, but cloudy/rainy the 2 days we were there. Definitely a good spot, but I'm not sure I'd say it was the best. I have a lot of other stuff to see first.

Oh man, I was out of town and had an email from a psycho high school buddy of mine waiting for me on my work email when I returned. I haven't talked to this cat in 15 years, when it had probably been five+ years (end of high school/early college) since I had last talked to him. It didn't go well back then. I had to drop this guy because he was a psychotic manipulative sociopathic alcoholic. I started to try to avoid him second semester senior year of hs after a couple of incidents, but then at the end he still ended up fucking me over, by taking my mom's car keys I had given to a sober friend to run an errand, and promptly blacking out or having a seizure something (he was hammered) and crashing into the back of a parked pickup across from a crowded frat party, then coming to, getting out of the car, and loudly claiming in front of a group from the house that had gathered that my friend needed to take the blame because he (psycho) had been hammered. Sober friend was super rich and had some connections, so cleaned it all up for them and my mom got stuck with the bill.

Anyway, one weird myspace interaction happened when I got a message that just said something like "hey" from this account with no real name (some Latin phrase) and no pictures. I didn't respond and then a couple of days later got another thing that was like "well, FUCK YOU then, asshole." I later figured out it was him, but there was no clue at all in the message or profile.

A few years later we ended up talking on the phone and had a decent catch up session, but made no plans other than that. I had heard that he had gotten into some shit (legal, substance, booze -- including barricading himself in a house with a bunch of guns and maybe a hostage), and didn't really want to engage. A week later he called again and I let it go to voicemail. He then proceeded to call like 7 more times once or twice an hour, leaving increasingly deranged screaming voicemails. I forget what I did in response to that.

This is the first contact since then. I just ignore it, right? Or what. Fuck. Like, nothing will happen, but there is a non-zero chance he tracks me down and shows up with guns. I would ask his sister about it, with whom I am friends on facebook, but she's into some weird pro-gun, border control anti-immigrant shit, and I'd heard the family blamed me for dropping him as a friend for a while, and I'd just prefer not to. The other friend from whom I could possibly get info is MIA. Maybe there's one other dude I could ask, but I'm convinced he is a Russian troll bot half the time (even though I feel him on some of these conspiracies), and could be somewhat unhinged, too.

This shit all happened in Arizona mostly, but he has a 703 area code, so I think he's in NoVa at the moment. The email was like "hello Chupe, this is your old high school chum -weird abbreviation of his first name.- If you would like to chat, here is my number."

How about just a normal email man? Maybe he is in a program and is apologizing for all the wrongs he's done?

Oh man, I was out of town and had an email from a psycho high school buddy of mine waiting for me on my work email when I returned. I haven't talked to this cat in 15 years, when it had probably been five+ years (end of high school/early college) since I had last talked to him. It didn't go well back then. I had to drop this guy because he was a psychotic manipulative sociopathic alcoholic. I started to try to avoid him second semester senior year of hs after a couple of incidents, but then at the end he still ended up fucking me over, by taking my mom's car keys I had given to a sober friend to run an errand, and promptly blacking out or having a seizure something (he was hammered) and crashing into the back of a parked pickup across from a crowded frat party, then coming to, getting out of the car, and loudly claiming in front of a group from the house that had gathered that my friend needed to take the blame because he (psycho) had been hammered. Sober friend was super rich and had some connections, so cleaned it all up for them and my mom got stuck with the bill.

Anyway, one weird myspace interaction happened when I got a message that just said something like "hey" from this account with no real name (some Latin phrase) and no pictures. I didn't respond and then a couple of days later got another thing that was like "well, FUCK YOU then, asshole." I later figured out it was him, but there was no clue at all in the message or profile.

A few years later we ended up talking on the phone and had a decent catch up session, but made no plans other than that. I had heard that he had gotten into some shit (legal, substance, booze -- including barricading himself in a house with a bunch of guns and maybe a hostage), and didn't really want to engage. A week later he called again and I let it go to voicemail. He then proceeded to call like 7 more times once or twice an hour, leaving increasingly deranged screaming voicemails. I forget what I did in response to that.

This is the first contact since then. I just ignore it, right? Or what. Fuck. Like, nothing will happen, but there is a non-zero chance he tracks me down and shows up with guns. I would ask his sister about it, with whom I am friends on facebook, but she's into some weird pro-gun, border control anti-immigrant shit, and I'd heard the family blamed me for dropping him as a friend for a while, and I'd just prefer not to. The other friend from whom I could possibly get info is MIA. Maybe there's one other dude I could ask, but I'm convinced he is a Russian troll bot half the time (even though I feel him on some of these conspiracies), and could be somewhat unhinged, too.

This shit all happened in Arizona mostly, but he has a 703 area code, so I think he's in NoVa at the moment. The email was like "hello Chupe, this is your old high school chum -weird abbreviation of his first name.- If you would like to chat, here is my number."

How about just a normal email man? Maybe he is in a program and is apologizing for all the wrongs he's done?

I'd probably just see if he wants a roommate and roll the dice. I mean, whatever happens next is bound to be exciting, right? You could single handedly bring the CT back to its glory days of when RTQ would solicit dating advice.

man i enjoy the drama of chupe's aura but i'm usually just like

source.gif

wat

I'm kinda scared to be posting on the same chat thread as you, bro.

Area codes don't mean much any more given that people keep their cellphones when they move. Be careful, He could be anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back