• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: biff brings board balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got down to specifics on gender shortly thereafter when we broke down what the life of a dog trainer/dog walker looks like, and both non-binary and dog walker were utterly mystifying to boomers.

There's a generational divide that also coincides with a suburban/rural and urban divide in our family where my wife and I and my sister both live in urban settings in apartment/condo style places and our parents' generation live in suburbs or middle of nowhere and drive everywhere and have big houses and yards and completely different kinds of work. The idea of paying for a dog walker was foreign to someone who will either drive home to take the dog out or just leave them in the yard all day. The idea of not having two cars between me and my wife was also deemed insane. My dad was jealous I haven't spent a single minute raking the yard this year though.

We got down to specifics on gender shortly thereafter when we broke down what the life of a dog trainer/dog walker looks like, and both non-binary and dog walker were utterly mystifying to THESE PEOPLE.

There's a generational divide that also coincides with a suburban/rural and urban divide in our family where my wife and I and my sister both live in urban settings in apartment/condo style places and our parents' generation live in suburbs or middle of nowhere and drive everywhere and have big houses and yards and completely different kinds of work. The idea of paying for a dog walker was foreign to someone who will either drive home to take the dog out or just leave them in the yard all day. The idea of not having two cars between me and my wife was also deemed insane. My dad was jealous I haven't spent a single minute raking the yard this year though.

But why not paint everyone in a group as the same...but you aren't stereotyping or being bigoted...got it...

There, there millennial.

My in-laws would've never picked up on that, and my parents would've only been mad that I was wasting money on a dog walker, so I would've been fine in that conversation.

yeah, mine either.

also, the idea of a dog walker seems like it's pretty simple to understand as a service. maybe it's because i have a dog?

It's hard to train your brain to get the "they/them" pronoun right, but I've finally made it a habit after accidentally using "she" talking to my wife about them for the last month or so.

But it went down something roughly like:

Mother-in-law: What do you do with Pepper when you're at work?
Me: We have a dog walker.
Mother-in-law: That's crazy!
Wife: I guess, but they're great with Pepper.
Dad: Is it like a service you call up?
Me: We just use one dog trainer that came recommended. They [...]

[chaos ensues]

so was it followed up by your MIL asking why you don't say he or she?

We got down to specifics on gender shortly thereafter when we broke down what the life of a dog trainer/dog walker looks like, and both non-binary and dog walker were utterly mystifying to boomers.

Yeah, the advantage of living in BFE is being able to let my fat mutt wander around our neighborhood all day as we are two miles away from any road I'd worry about him getting hit on. The little frou-frou princess dog gets let out by an old, retired neighbor on her daily walk. And mulch mode on the mower beats raking leaves any day.

But why not paint everyone in a group as the same...but you aren't stereotyping or being bigoted...got it...

There, there millennial.

sokolove and biff, please bookmark this post for the next time injured RJ claims that he never starts fights or hits first.

There, there millennial.

was literally just talking about the humans at our thanksgiving dinner but go off

You did not qualify this statement- " utterly mystifying to boomers."

You didn't say "boomers at our dinner" or "these boomers".

My bad millennial. It's our fault that you weren't specific or accurate. You were and are still being stunted by others.

Welp, at least we know what the next couple pages of the chat thread is gonna consist of now.

if you got a glass of water from the tap and then forgot about it, how many hours/days/weeks later would you feel comfortable drinking it?

1) is it in your house? where?
2) do you have cats?

i've definitely not changed out a glass of water that was on my bedside table for a few days or more

My brother and his wife are down to one car and I’m super jealous.

I also probably need to take the leaves in my back yard.

i don't get it, just pay some dude $50-$100/month to take care of the leaves. best money you can spend as a homeowner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back