• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report UNC Asheville Bulldogs - Wednesday 7pm ACCN Extra

Neath can play. Didn’t see the court during first half. Mucious can play. Played first 8 mins of first half. Please stop playing Johnson and Wynn, and give Junior minimal minutes. Massoud needs to be playing.

Everyone on the team needs to recognize that Brown is the star and needs to take the highest number of shots!

So was that a career game from Sarr? Off the bench?

We left Asheville’s shooters open most of the game. Asheville played small ball and pressed. Sarr had mostly wide open layups and dunks off of assists from Chill.

A lot of it is that UNCA was small (and not very good), but that is how Sarr should play every game... Less jumpers, more opportunistic layups/dunks. And rebounding.

Oguama quieter last night... Played half the minutes of Sarr (26 to 13).

No idea if Manning thinks this way, but I think with those two, you get 40mpg total at the 5 and just split it up based upon how they are playing. Hopefully that means Sarr plays well enough to get 20-25mpg.

We shouldn't have to pull away late from UNC-Asheville in a game where we set a school record for FG % and shoot 40 FTs.

Congrats to Danny on the huge win over a UNCA team that won 4 games last season. Well done.

We are indeed competitive in the Big South - perhaps even a threat to win the title but we are undoubtedly dead last in the ACC.

The Sunshine's brigade's take from Facebook:

"Peter %%%%(last name redacted to protect this fool's identity)
11 hrs
Proud to be a DEACON, as always. Great game boys. Great job Coach. You guys look beautiful so far. Finish this game off and lets get this fan base back!"

I attended the game, a few random thoughts:

The first 8 minutes were the best I've seen a Wake team play in a while. Granted, this isn't saying much, but they were switching well on defense, sharing the ball on offense. I believe we had 10 assists by 8 minutes.
Our man defense broke down rather quickly after that. Childress just can't stay in front of people. Their PG blew by him a lot, they had many easy drives to the basket. We switched to a matchup 3-2 zone, best I could tell, with Chaundee at the 4 at times.

Chaundee is the leader of this team. I have monumental respect for him. He's an excellent athlete and plays hard on every possession.

Sarr - granted, its a weak front line in UNCA, but I saw more dunks and diving on loose balls then I've ever seen from him. He's certainly trying.

The worst part of Wake's game was turnovers. Just so many stupid passes and careless decisions, many from White. Torry Johnson should never play. In the sparing minutes Wynn had, he also had turnovers and missed free throws. The only reason UNCA stayed in the game was because of turnovers and our poor perimeter defense guarding the 3. UNCA trapped Childress a lot, which led to many open dunks for Sarr. IF UNCA had stopped trapping, they may have won that game. But hey, it did force Childress to actually pass it and get assists, so I guess that's a positive.

Massoud barely played, which I think is a mistake.

Walters is a good coach and I like this hire. Nestor looks like he doesn't want to be there. Manning's sub patterns seemed to revolve more around 1st and 2nd units and less of the haphazard method we've seen for years.

Lastly, Wake went on a 26-5 run to close the game, and Neath ran point for much of it. Childress calls his own number too much. He had more assists than usual, but Neath is a better PG. I'm glad to see the staff recognizing that. Childress either sat during that stretch or played the 2. Neath reminds me (SLIGHTLY) of a young Chris Paul: excellent handles, stronger than he looks, and great passer.

Hanging 98 points on anyone is nothing to sneeze at, but our defense still needs a lot of work.

Early statistical analysis of WF:

Strengths:

- Like last year, WF gets to the line a lot (21st in the nation in FTA per FGA)
- Keeping opponents off the offensive glass (8th in the nation in opponents offensive rebounding %)

Weaknesses:

- Forcing turnovers, WF is #326 in opponents TO% (related to this WF is #320 in steals per game)
- Giving up turnovers, WF is #220 in TO% turning the ball over as WF turns the ball over in 21% of its offensive possessions

Other observations:

- WF is near the bottom in the nation in 3 point shots per FG attempt (#348) and 3 pointers being part of the offense (#345).
- WF plays a lot of guys (#90 in bench minutes)
- WF has played a weak schedule so far (#214)

To sum up:

WF doesn't shoot well, doesn't take care of the ball, doesn't force the opponent into turnovers, but when the opponent misses, WF gets the rebound, and if WF doesn't turn the ball over, WF gets to the line a lot, at least against bad teams.

I haven't checked the minutes played, but Wright seemed to be on the court more than anyone other than Brown. If so, why? Does Manning owe his dad something?

Neath is surprisingly posed and confident. He and White should dominate time at the point. I love Brandon but he dominates the ball too much.

Early statistical analysis of WF:

Strengths:

- Like last year, WF gets to the line a lot (21st in the nation in FTA per FGA)
- Keeping opponents off the offensive glass (8th in the nation in opponents offensive rebounding %)

Weaknesses:

- Forcing turnovers, WF is #326 in opponents TO% (related to this WF is #320 in steals per game)
- Giving up turnovers, WF is #220 in TO% turning the ball over as WF turns the ball over in 21% of its offensive possessions

Other observations:

- WF is near the bottom in the nation in 3 point shots per FG attempt (#348) and 3 pointers being part of the offense (#345).
- WF plays a lot of guys (#90 in bench minutes)
- WF has played a weak schedule so far (#214)

To sum up:

WF doesn't shoot well, doesn't take care of the ball, doesn't force the opponent into turnovers, but when the opponent misses, WF gets the rebound, and if WF doesn't turn the ball over, WF gets to the line a lot, at least against bad teams.

So paint touches and getting to the line.

Watching the rerun of this game this morning. First time I've really watched the deacs this year (Thanks Ron for crushing my interest). I would like to concur people's previous posts that Massoud needs more PT. He looks smooth and fundamental. Good box outs on rebounds ect. Can't believe he only played 5 minutes. Also, Brandon hasn't learned anything. still plays like he's a freshman. Forced shots, trying to drive into 2 big men and throwing up garbage, and bad defense. He constantly gets beat which forces help defense and defenders to be out of place. Take away his minutes and Johnson's and give Neath and Massoud more minutes.

I think Walters effect is already being seen. Team looking better (albeit they were starting at a garbage level)

Back