• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report UNC Asheville Bulldogs - Wednesday 7pm ACCN Extra

We shouldn't have to pull away late from UNC-Asheville in a game where we set a school record for FG % and shoot 40 FTs.

That's the same thought I had when I read the game story from the Athletic Department. Not a good sign for the rest of the year.

Biggest problem I’m seeing is when we try to play man to man defense with Childress guarding the opposing point guard—he couldn’t stay in front of a lamp post. The run UNCA went on at the end of the first half was almost entirely done blowing past Brandon like he wasn’t there. I don’t see any other choice but to play zone when he’s on tue floor.

Early statistical analysis of WF:

Strengths:

- Like last year, WF gets to the line a lot (21st in the nation in FTA per FGA)
- Keeping opponents off the offensive glass (8th in the nation in opponents offensive rebounding %)

Weaknesses:

- Forcing turnovers, WF is #326 in opponents TO% (related to this WF is #320 in steals per game)
- Giving up turnovers, WF is #220 in TO% turning the ball over as WF turns the ball over in 21% of its offensive possessions

Other observations:

- WF is near the bottom in the nation in 3 point shots per FG attempt (#348) and 3 pointers being part of the offense (#345).
- WF plays a lot of guys (#90 in bench minutes)
- WF has played a weak schedule so far (#214)

To sum up:

WF doesn't shoot well, doesn't take care of the ball, doesn't force the opponent into turnovers, but when the opponent misses, WF gets the rebound, and if WF doesn't turn the ball over, WF gets to the line a lot, at least against bad teams.

Our ability to clean up misses by the opponent and get to the line should pay big dividends in Cameron.

First, thanks for posting the link, ConnorEl. Especially for the shout out on the photos. Andrew does incredible work.

I haven't checked the minutes played, but Wright seemed to be on the court more than anyone other than Brown. If so, why? Does Manning owe his dad something?

Neath is surprisingly posed and confident. He and White should dominate time at the point. I love Brandon but he dominates the ball too much.

Sharone played 17:41, which was the sixth-most on the team. Chaundee played 31:44 and sat for 3-5 minutes down the stretch because he picked up his third foul with 11:36 left, his fourth with 6:16 left and fouled out with 1:27 left.

First, thanks for posting the link, ConnorEl. Especially for the shout out on the photos. Andrew does incredible work.

Sharone played 17:41, which was the sixth-most on the team. Chaundee played 31:44 and sat for 3-5 minutes down the stretch because he picked up his third foul with 11:36 left, his fourth with 6:16 left and fouled out with 1:27 left.

Thanks for the correction. It seemed Sharone was on the floor a lot more than that.

Congrats to Danny on the huge win over a UNCA team that won 4 games last season. Well done.

This. This is the only logical takeaway at this point. We almost lost to Columbia a few nights ago. Beating UNCA is not impressive.

When we best a team that is decent and we actually do something good from an offensive/defensive strategy standpoint...wake me up. Until then, getting beat by BC (who is objectively a terrible team) and almost losing to Columbia at home...we are in for a very bad year.

This. This is the only logical takeaway at this point. We almost lost to Columbia a few nights ago. Beating UNCA is not impressive.

When we best a team that is decent and we actually do something good from an offensive/defensive strategy standpoint...wake me up. Until then, getting beat by BC (who is objectively a terrible team) and almost losing to Columbia at home...we are in for a very bad year.

Shooting 70% from the floor was objectively good and resulted from consistently feeding the low post (strategy). Hitting 50% of 3 point attempts was good and largely the result of determining not to take as many 3s (strategy). 35 rebounds was objectively good also. 98 points in a 40 minute game is good no matter who you are playing...especially for WF.

I haven't checked the minutes played, but Wright seemed to be on the court more than anyone other than Brown. If so, why? Does Manning owe his dad something?

Neath is surprisingly posed and confident. He and White should dominate time at the point. I love Brandon but he dominates the ball too much.

Not sure if it was mentioned here or not but the dad of this player got into a twitter battle with a few folks for basically being negative towards the team. This was last week,.

Good offensive game. Hard to quarrel about 98 points and a 70% field goal percentage. Good ball movement, 23 assists on 33 makes. Turnovers continue. Rebounding was strong. Giving up 79 points won't win many games. UNCA was on target for 90+ for the first 34 minutes of the game. Good start, good finish and a bad middle.

Neath has very good +/- numbers. He moves the basketball to enable the receiver to get an assist and does so quickly.

Massoud should be playing. This is the time he should be acclimating to the college game and developing the skills to play down low. Sitting 35 minutes a game will not prepare him for conference play. A persistent Manning coaching flaw.

Shooting 70% from the floor was objectively good and resulted from consistently feeding the low post (strategy). Hitting 50% of 3 point attempts was good and largely the result of determining not to take as many 3s (strategy). 35 rebounds was objectively good also. 98 points in a 40 minute game is good no matter who you are playing...especially for WF.

Yeah, you missed a major part of my point. I said when we beat a team that’s decent and do something from a defensive/offensive strategy...wake me up. It was UNCA. Shooting 100% from the floor wouldn’t tell us anything about this team. Again, it was UNCA and we almost lost to Columbia at home a few night ago.

Are you really defending Manning still? I feel like we have been having this conversation for a few years now. Just surprising to see at this point. Nothing he has done well is related to his game planning and strategy. He’s literally terrible at this one critical task of coaching.

Not sure if it was mentioned here or not but the dad of this player got into a twitter battle with a few folks for basically being negative towards the team. This was last week,.

Not possible. I have been reassured that possible recruits, parents, and players don’t pay attention to anything negative concerning the sports programs on the internet.

Also, what is this ‘especially for WF’ bullshit? WF has a proud BB program, traditionally anyway. If you want to take the LOWF way out, go for it. I refuse to believe that we should accept the current state of our MBB program.

Not possible. I have been reassured that possible recruits, parents, and players don’t pay attention to anything negative concerning the sports programs on the internet.

The really talented recruits care more about the coaching staff and their success or lack thereof more than anything posted here or elsewhere. Keep shilling for Wellman, Hatch and DM.

Also, what is this ‘especially for WF’ bullshit? WF has a proud BB program, traditionally anyway. If you want to take the LOWF way out, go for it. I refuse to believe that we should accept the current state of our MBB program.

So you would say we're "historically competitive" ?

I attended the game, a few random thoughts:

The first 8 minutes were the best I've seen a Wake team play in a while. Granted, this isn't saying much, but they were switching well on defense, sharing the ball on offense. I believe we had 10 assists by 8 minutes.
Our man defense broke down rather quickly after that. Childress just can't stay in front of people. Their PG blew by him a lot, they had many easy drives to the basket. We switched to a matchup 3-2 zone, best I could tell, with Chaundee at the 4 at times.

Chaundee is the leader of this team. I have monumental respect for him. He's an excellent athlete and plays hard on every possession.

Sarr - granted, its a weak front line in UNCA, but I saw more dunks and diving on loose balls then I've ever seen from him. He's certainly trying.

The worst part of Wake's game was turnovers. Just so many stupid passes and careless decisions, many from White. Torry Johnson should never play. In the sparing minutes Wynn had, he also had turnovers and missed free throws. The only reason UNCA stayed in the game was because of turnovers and our poor perimeter defense guarding the 3. UNCA trapped Childress a lot, which led to many open dunks for Sarr. IF UNCA had stopped trapping, they may have won that game. But hey, it did force Childress to actually pass it and get assists, so I guess that's a positive.

Massoud barely played, which I think is a mistake.

Walters is a good coach and I like this hire. Nestor looks like he doesn't want to be there. Manning's sub patterns seemed to revolve more around 1st and 2nd units and less of the haphazard method we've seen for years.

Lastly, Wake went on a 26-5 run to close the game, and Neath ran point for much of it. Childress calls his own number too much. He had more assists than usual, but Neath is a better PG. I'm glad to see the staff recognizing that. Childress either sat during that stretch or played the 2. Neath reminds me (SLIGHTLY) of a young Chris Paul: excellent handles, stronger than he looks, and great passer.

Hanging 98 points on anyone is nothing to sneeze at, but our defense still needs a lot of work.

Great post. Neath needs much more PT. Massoud too. Johnson and Wynn should never play.

Back