• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Surratt out for the season

I think we have succeeded ( so far knock on wood) on keeping the sheer number of injuries down this year, but the ones we've had have been key. It's easy to forget we lost Miles Fox before the season even started, who could've helped at DT. Despite Masterson's not being the fastest guy, he was a key lose on defense. Strnad of course was a huge loss on defense, really the glue of the defense. Now, we lose Washington (at least for multiple games) and Sage for the rest of the season, maybe the best WR combo in the league other than Clemson. Short of losing Newman, Herron, Boogie or Bassey, we've lost some of the most key players we could lose.

And we rarely come away from Clemson without some serious injuries.

Didn't Daniel Jones break a collarbone in preseason or early in the year at Duke and come back in about 4-6 weeks? Guess it depends on how bad a break, too.

Where has it been published that it's a collarbone injury? Or is that just speculation based on watching play?

reminded me of the Ben Mauk injury from the orange bowl year. Reaching out for a fumble is dangerous when 250 pounders pounce on your extended arm. Fuck that ref who swallowed his whistle and still called him down.

I was thinking Ben Mauk as well when I saw it on replay. "Oh he extended his arm on the ground and a player fell on it. That's not good." Then I thought of Cam short-arming his fumble recovery in the Super Bowl.

Waydale had 30 TD receptions in HS in 2016. That's tied for 9th in national HS football history (Sage is in a bunch of the career receiving top 10s). Excited to see what he can do, as bummed as we all are about Sage.

To top it off, the dumb dumb didn’t even let it play out. He was just either lazy or not paying attention. He let it play out just long enough to end a 20-something’s record setting season then he blew it dead. Refs are the worst.

They should fire the guy. You want to talk about player safety, well that’s what we’re paying these old jock sniffers for.

I agree with both of these comments. Ref was stuck in the middle blowing his whistle. Would have been better off to never even blow it, than blow it after 2-3 seconds after a scramble for the ball.

I have no idea whether he is a pro caliber player at LB, but halfway through the season:

Entering Saturday's game at Virginia Tech, the redshirt junior leads the Tar Heels in tackles (46), pass breakups (3) and quarterback hurries (4). He's second in sacks (3) and tackles for loss (5.5). He also possesses the team's best pass-rush grade (79.9), according to Pro Football Focus (PFF).

Strnad >> Chaz Surratt.

What exactly happened? Was it a Va Tech late hit?

No late hit.

Sage caught pass, was tackled, ball popped out, Sage on all fours scrambling to recover ball, VT DB Diablo arrives at same time....lands on Sage's right arm diving for ball.

All happened in nano seconds....just plain unfortunate.

To clarify some of the commentary:

If it is a clavicle fx, the bone will heal with surgery in 6-8 weeks but many players have returned far sooner but, as mentioned, all depends on the severity of the fracture and the location.

Ben Mauk had a proximal humerus fracture which is significantly different than this injury. Recovery from that is much more difficult and labor intensive - throwing or non throwing shoulder.

Strnad >> Chaz Surratt.

Yes. LB is our problem. WR is our deppest position. There’s that. Guys need to step up and are able. Strand and masterson are missed badly and the backups are just that. Maybe Hudson is a phenom. Also I would have Shamir at LB

No late hit.

Sage caught pass, was tackled, ball popped out, Sage on all fours scrambling to recover ball, VT DB Diablo arrives at same time....lands on Sage's right arm diving for ball.

All happened in nano seconds....just plain unfortunate.

It wasn’t nano seconds. It was actually fairly slowly developing.

To clarify some of the commentary:

If it is a clavicle fx, the bone will heal with surgery in 6-8 weeks but many players have returned far sooner but, as mentioned, all depends on the severity of the fracture and the location.

Ben Mauk had a proximal humerus fracture which is significantly different than this injury. Recovery from that is much more difficult and labor intensive - throwing or non throwing shoulder.
He could play football with a freshly healed clavicle? I’m not a doctor like you, but I’ve had that surgery. A screw was placed in the shoulder and I wore a body cast for several weeks. I think Surratt is done for the year.

He could play football with a freshly healed clavicle? I’m not a doctor like you, but I’ve had that surgery. A screw was placed in the shoulder and I wore a body cast for several weeks. I think Surratt is done for the year.

Coach Clawson was clear on that. I believe doubledeacs point was that they were different injuries. 6-8 weeks finishes about everyone's season.

Unlikely he would return but what I am saying was echoed by sportsmed86 above. However, IIRC JMU's QB Bryan Schor had a transverse clavicle fx, surgery, and started 2-3 weeks later in the FCS playoffs and won the whole thing. Bottom line, the right thing to do for Surrat is to have surgery, heal and rehab appropriately, then decide where he is.

Back