Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utah's Zion National Park

We went to all 5 national parks in southern Utah in July 2017. Bryce and Arches were our favorites, followed by Zion. We didn't attempt Angel's Landing due to age of children and difficulty of hike. Would highly recommend the Narrows. Park is crowded in the summer, so spring and/or fall would be a good time to go. Bryce and Zion are very close to each other.

My son went with family friends. They flew into Vegas and it was an easy drive from there.

I got a sweet hat out of it.

anybody know if its an easy drive from vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    Not sure if anyone on this board has ever done it.

Expanding Mod Powers
    The park turns 100 years old today (even older than RJ).

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/11...eeling-its-age

The park attracted more than 4 million visitors last year and is struggling under a deferred maintenance backlog of $70 million. Four of the parks most popular trails are closed, including the hike to Emerald Pools, and park officials were forced to close Angels Landing until Friday while a boulder in a rockfall is removed, said park spokeswoman Erin Whittaker.

Even as the centennial celebration is unfolding, park executives are reviewing a number of possible options to manage crowds and improve visitor experience.

We know it is not sustainable what is going on right now, Whittaker said. We have modified shuttle schedules, but there is only so much you can stretch to adapt.

Robert O'Kelley
    Angel's Landing gives me serious anxiety, and I'm not even really afraid of heights. Sheer, 1000 foot drops on a crowded, 3 foot wide trail with nothing but a chain to hold onto (and sometimes nothing)? No thank you. My dad and sister have done it (serious adrenaline junkies), and said they wouldn't do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill22 View Post
    Went several years ago between Christmas and NY. Park was almost empty.

Get to Bryce Canyon while you are in the neighborhood.
    Agree with this. Both are beautiful.

Boomer Boy
    You'd have to tell me what you mean by easy. If you mean no off-road stretches during which four wheel drive is required, then yes, easy.

The triple trailer road trains are a bit stressful on the inter-state. Good views of Joshua Trees though.
    Birds are real.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    Angel's Landing gives me serious anxiety, and I'm not even really afraid of heights. Sheer, 1000 foot drops on a crowded, 3 foot wide trail with nothing but a chain to hold onto (and sometimes nothing)? No thank you. My dad and sister have done it (serious adrenaline junkies), and said they wouldn't do it again.
    One could do Observation Point instead. It is a better view anyway, in my opinion.