• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson pleading for a big deacon turnout on Saturday

Watched Clawson's presser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZqW4L5r70

Always can learn a few things. He doesn't really tip his hand, but you can tell that he is frustrated by the lack of support for a 7-3 team, and a team that is on a run of 4 winning seasons. WF with a chance to sweep the Big 4 for only the 8th time in WF history.

Also, hard to hear the question, but sounded like Orlando Heggs a redshirt freshman OL is transferring.

Clawson downplayed the significance of honoring Boogie before the game. Did the same for Hinton last year.

I love the fact we're at 7 wins. And overall I love Clawson. But I think another factor, besides the late start & weather, small school, and tv coverage, people don't really enjoy watching us. The O is boring unlike when Grobe was humming. Rarely could we predict the play, even if a pass or run. Our current O has about 5 tools in the tool box....with some added forms of alteration....

Watched the presser - that was pretty hilarious on multiple fronts:

- yes you have to go to class to Wake
- no, he doesn’t like Cutcliffe at all
- we sucked last week, regardless of anything that Clemson did

I dunno - he might getting tired of pushing water uphill here. There’s going to be 10k people at the game Sat for a 7-3 team on Senior Night that will be the only class in history to go to 4 straight bowls.

I get Clawson’s frustration, but have we ever had a big crowd for a Duke game? They bring nobody, and our fan base is what it is. Smallest power 5 school with small local alumni base isn’t going to lead to sellouts against Duke when it is going to be wet, cold, and dark outside. That doesn’t lessen the achievement of this class.

It speaks volumes that our head coach is pleading for a big turnout against a Big 4 rival with a chance to win 9 regular season games.

But hey... at least the keyboard warriors will be out in full force posting on ogboards.com Sat night!

That will really show Wellman & Currie who's the BOSS!!!!

Good to know I’m not alone in this sentiment.

I love the fact we're at 7 wins. And overall I love Clawson. But I think another factor, besides the late start & weather, small school, and tv coverage, people don't really enjoy watching us. The O is boring unlike when Grobe was humming. Rarely could we predict the play, even if a pass or run. Our current O has about 5 tools in the tool box....with some added forms of alteration....

I really don't think the offensive play calling is the reason behind our stadium not being full. It's hard to really figure things out without taking a look at our record, opponents, game dates, times, weather, opposing team record, whether it is homecoming or family weekend, national trends etc etc. I'd love to see a deeper analysis than what I'm about to paste but the most frustrating part for me is not seeing a direct correlation between our team success and our attendance. Seeing 24k fans vs Louisville this year when we were undefeated and then 24k again vs FSU was really really disappointing. To put things in perspective, 2 years ago when we played Louisville (after losing 3 straight games) we still had a reported attendance of almost 30k (family weekend). 2 years ago we had 27k fans for Duke on Senior Day... I hope we can hit more than that this year but the weather will need to shift.

2019 attendance
Utah State 8/30 - 29,027
UNC 9/13 - 31,345
Elon 9/21 - 24,079 (Homecoming)
Louisville 10/12 - 24,434
FSU 10/19 - 24,782
NC State 11/ 2- 31,119 (Family weekend)
Duke 11/23 - TBD

2018 attendance
Towson 8/30 - 15,478
Boston College 9/13 - 25,309
Notre Dame 9/22 - 31,092
Rice 9/29 - 24,519 (Family Weekend)
Clemson 10/6 - 31,068
Syracuse 11/3 - 26,136 (Homecoming)
Pittsburgh 11/17 - 25,609

2017 attendance
8/31 Presby - 22,643
9/16 Utah State - 27,972 (Homecoming)
9/30 FSU - 31,588
10/28 Louisville - 29,583 (Family Weekend)
11/18 NC State - 31,803
11/25 Duke - 27,016

I thought NC State was Family Weekend and Louisville was fall break.

Maybe the basketball Walmart Duke fans will attend the football game. There are tons in the triad area.

This is a good team and fun to watch.

These night games have been a huge factor. It’s just brutal that we’ve had so many. It has had to hurt attendance. Louisville and FSU both went LATE.

Seems we’ve had our share. We’re Good enough that people want to watch but not prime time 330.

This is a good team and fun to watch.

These night games have been a huge factor. It’s just brutal that we’ve had so many. It has had to hurt attendance. Louisville and FSU both went LATE.

Seems we’ve had our share. We’re Good enough that people want to watch but not prime time 330.

I'd prefer a 7PM game to a Noon. Maybe I'm in the minority?

The games are agonizingly long. Four minute timeouts with every change in possession just suck the life out of the games.

The games are agonizingly long. Four minute timeouts with every change in possession just suck the life out of the games.

I share that feeling. By the end of the game, I’m ready to be done.

I plan to be there, even though I must drive approximately four hours to get back to my home in eastern N.C., following the game's ending at midnight. It makes for a loooong day. However, if there's a strong probability of rain during the game, I refuse to sit outside for four hours, on a cold November night, and get sopping wet. I'll simply stay home and watch the game on TV. If we want large attendance, we need to get back to playing our football games in the daytime. To hell with TV. If anybody wants to watch us play, let 'em come to Groves!

I really don't think the offensive play calling is the reason behind our stadium not being full. It's hard to really figure things out without taking a look at our record, opponents, game dates, times, weather, opposing team record, whether it is homecoming or family weekend, national trends etc etc. I'd love to see a deeper analysis than what I'm about to paste but the most frustrating part for me is not seeing a direct correlation between our team success and our attendance. Seeing 24k fans vs Louisville this year when we were undefeated and then 24k again vs FSU was really really disappointing. To put things in perspective, 2 years ago when we played Louisville (after losing 3 straight games) we still had a reported attendance of almost 30k (family weekend). 2 years ago we had 27k fans for Duke on Senior Day... I hope we can hit more than that this year but the weather will need to shift.

2019 attendance
Utah State 8/30 - 29,027
UNC 9/13 - 31,345
Elon 9/21 - 24,079 (Homecoming)
Louisville 10/12 - 24,434
FSU 10/19 - 24,782
NC State 11/ 2- 31,119 (Family weekend)
Duke 11/23 - TBD

2018 attendance
Towson 8/30 - 15,478
Boston College 9/13 - 25,309
Notre Dame 9/22 - 31,092
Rice 9/29 - 24,519 (Family Weekend)
Clemson 10/6 - 31,068
Syracuse 11/3 - 26,136 (Homecoming)
Pittsburgh 11/17 - 25,609

2017 attendance
8/31 Presby - 22,643
9/16 Utah State - 27,972 (Homecoming)
9/30 FSU - 31,588
10/28 Louisville - 29,583 (Family Weekend)
11/18 NC State - 31,803
11/25 Duke - 27,016

Interesting attendance info - thanks. Perhaps another entry would expand that a bit more to add - Time of kick-off.
As others have said, also with the new ACCN the 4 minute TOs after almost every possession change is a real drag on the game day (seated in stands) experience.

I am a season ticket holder who lives 4 1/2 hours away. I will be there weather not withstanding. I do not want to miss the opportunity to see us beat the other three Big Fours in Winston in the same year.

I'd prefer a 7PM game to a Noon. Maybe I'm in the minority?

Actually it's a 7:30 p.m. game, not 7. And I say that not to be Mr. Persnickety, but this time of year that 30 minutes later is not insignificant in terms of temperature at the end of the game and what time you get home.

Back