• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson pleading for a big deacon turnout on Saturday

80% chance of rain. That sucks.

The team deserves a good crowd and I will be there, but I hope that when there isn't a good crowd Saturday night the players and Clawson take it with a grain of salt. A cold rainy night in November is a legitimate reason for some people to stay home, especially those with younger children and elderly fans. Sucks that Senior Day/Night looks like it will be on a miserable night weather wise.

Unless you have a very large, mostly local fanbase then attendance is going to suck for a cold, rainy night game in November. That's just the way it is. I totally get why some non-hardcore fans would stay home for this one. It's getting kind of old to hear everybody complaining about attendance when it's pretty clear the reasons why it's been low this year.

The team deserves a good crowd and I will be there, but I hope that when there isn't a good crowd Saturday night the players and Clawson take it with a grain of salt. A cold rainy night in November is a legitimate reason for some people to stay home, especially those with younger children and elderly fans. Sucks that Senior Day/Night looks like it will be on a miserable night weather wise.

As far as this board is concerned, I'm an elderly fan. I'll be there. :eek:

I really don't think the offensive play calling is the reason behind our stadium not being full. It's hard to really figure things out without taking a look at our record, opponents, game dates, times, weather, opposing team record, whether it is homecoming or family weekend, national trends etc etc. I'd love to see a deeper analysis than what I'm about to paste but the most frustrating part for me is not seeing a direct correlation between our team success and our attendance. Seeing 24k fans vs Louisville this year when we were undefeated and then 24k again vs FSU was really really disappointing. To put things in perspective, 2 years ago when we played Louisville (after losing 3 straight games) we still had a reported attendance of almost 30k (family weekend). 2 years ago we had 27k fans for Duke on Senior Day... I hope we can hit more than that this year but the weather will need to shift.

2019 attendance
Utah State 8/30 - 29,027
UNC 9/13 - 31,345
Elon 9/21 - 24,079 (Homecoming)
Louisville 10/12 - 24,434
FSU 10/19 - 24,782
NC State 11/ 2- 31,119 (Family weekend)
Duke 11/23 - TBD

2018 attendance
Towson 8/30 - 15,478
Boston College 9/13 - 25,309
Notre Dame 9/22 - 31,092
Rice 9/29 - 24,519 (Family Weekend)
Clemson 10/6 - 31,068
Syracuse 11/3 - 26,136 (Homecoming)
Pittsburgh 11/17 - 25,609

2017 attendance
8/31 Presby - 22,643
9/16 Utah State - 27,972 (Homecoming)
9/30 FSU - 31,588
10/28 Louisville - 29,583 (Family Weekend)
11/18 NC State - 31,803
11/25 Duke - 27,016

Tickets sold or butts in seats?

Tickets sold or butts in seats?

There were about 5000 people there at the Elon game at the end, I doubt more than 18K even attended. It was near 350 degrees, and a noon time kickoff for Homecoming is the dumbest thing ever (I know it was for TV).

There were about 5000 people there at the Elon game at the end, I doubt more than 18K even attended. It was near 350 degrees, and a noon time kickoff for Homecoming is the dumbest thing ever (I know it was for TV).

We got crapped on with the game times this year starting with the three Friday night games. Then when it's hotter that 10 Hells we get noon kicks. Now that we're in the 30s and 40s at night we get night kicks. Gotta love the TV bosses.

I'm hoping Claw is open minded enough to understand that the shitty attendance isn't always caused by a lax fan base. Hell there were empty seats last week at Clempson for their Senior Day.

I'll be there with 6 others Sat. night in Section 14 doing our best to cheer on the Deacs.

Last edited:
Unless you have a very large, mostly local fanbase then attendance is going to suck for a cold, rainy night game in November. That's just the way it is. I totally get why some non-hardcore fans would stay home for this one. It's getting kind of old to hear everybody complaining about attendance when it's pretty clear the reasons why it's been low this year.

This. It's not being LOWF to say this, it's just facts

The idea that people ought to be able to change their plans on relatively short notice in order to accommodate times dictated by TV assumes that people have nothing else to do but to attend football games. The only thing worse than a 7:30 kick-off for my schedule would be an 8:00 or 9:00 kick-off. I doubt that I will make it; but I am trying to give my tickets to family members.

The idea that people ought to be able to change their plans on relatively short notice in order to accommodate times dictated by TV assumes that people have nothing else to do but to attend football games. The only thing worse than a 7:30 kick-off for my schedule would be an 8:00 or 9:00 kick-off. I doubt that I will make it; but I am trying to give my tickets to family members.

This is such a huge deal and with such progress in advanced metrics (very strong predictions about what games will be “marquee”) TV schedules should be able to be set a month or more in advance. The facts are the 12 day (and in this case 6 day) advanced notice what time the game is, leads to games being Plan B for folks, and that is not just a Wake problem.

I think there are creative ways for wake to improve things. I personally feel that wake should do things to increase home field advantage even if they negatively affect revenue. We should give graduates free or really cheap tickets in the section next to the students for the 4 years after graduation. We should put in mini boxes in the top 4 corners of the stadium - at least it might not look empty on tv. Do we need the Bridger bleachers - they are always half full. For kickoff, We need to make it easier to enter the game - the state game had tons of people trying to get in but it was a bottleneck.

Not sure how to make the students stay for the whole game.

Not sure what the fuss is about. Despite the lousy weather on Saturday night we will still have 10 times the number of fans who show up at a Duke game in Wally World

Back