• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson pleading for a big deacon turnout on Saturday

Not sure what the fuss is about. Despite the lousy weather on Saturday night we will still have 10 times the number of fans who show up at a Duke game in Wally World

True but 10X400 is not that much. Hoping for more than that. :plos:

Btw, I noticed that the Deacs are giving active duty, vets, first repsonders and families free tickets to Saturdays game as part of their Salute to Service.

On the rare occasion that Wake is dominating an opponent it is pretty boring to watch Wake not even try in the 2nd half.

Another elderly who will be there. I have tickets as other elderly are insble to attend. I’ll be working on filling those with Wake fans. See you Saturday and go Deacs! Wish I could help to make Clawson’s wish come true.

On the rare occasion that Wake is dominating an opponent it is pretty boring to watch Wake not even try in the 2nd half.

Exception may prove the rule, but last year at Duke was a fantastic 2nd half -- 4 more TDs after going up 31-7 by half.

If Currie promises to immediately fire Manning at the 50 yard line at halftime if we can put 25,000 people in the stands, I will drag every person I know in NC to the game and pay for their tickets. I think this would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Clawson said on the radios show that he was pretty disappointed with the attendance in half of the home games. its a shame we can't fill up our home stadium and this will be one reason that he eventually leaves.

Night games and the rainstorms had alot to do with this.

I attended games in Bridger some also with the bad weather predictions, so while I was there, I wasn't in the stands.... but I was somewhat dry and MSD got more of my money for the higher tix prices.

Clawson said on the radios show that he was pretty disappointed with the attendance in half of the home games. its a shame we can't fill up our home stadium and this will be one reason that he eventually leaves.

I sincerely hope you are wrong. Clawson says that he understands and appreciates the uniqueness of Wake Forest. I would think that he knows that throughout most of its history, Wake has been notoriously weak in football. I would assume that he also realizes that the alumni base is small and scattered far beyond the Triad. So, I would think that he understands that one serious negative in coaching at WF is that you have to build the fanbase from people that have no obvious reason to cheer for Wake especially when there are other schools relatively close by that are larger and have a better history in winning football games. Grobe proved that that can happen; but it requires not only having a winning season, but having consecutive winning seasons. It also requires not being humiliated by football powerhouses, like Clemson. Clawson is building a strong reputation for winning football but beat downs like what we received at Death Valley is a step backward. It may also prove more difficult because Grobe built a following and then lost it. Regaining interest can be more difficult than getting it the first time around.

At any rate, this is part of the reality of WF football. Surely he understood that when he took the job. Closing out this season with wins and one of them being in a well-known bowl against a quality opponent will go a long way toward improving attendance next season. And that will be even more the case if we have a returning QB who is being mentioned as a Heisman candidate.

Sorry, Coach. This is the way it is at Wake Forest; but you knew that. You can't just talk against the idea of LOWF, you have to prove it false over and over again.

Night games and the rainstorms had alot to do with this.

I attended games in Bridger some also with the bad weather predictions, so while I was there, I wasn't in the stands.... but I was somewhat dry and MSD got more of my money for the higher tix prices.

Friday night games suck

Friday night games suck

A big reason for scheduling App State is that we usually fill the stands when they come to BB&T. Admittedly the Appies come out big time, but our Dash fans also like this match up.

I recommend that our sports marketing team study minor league baseball. They draw for lots of reasons but their methods would help until we can hook more people on the football.

Also, I converted most of my large family to be Wake fans when I was a student. All of us have an obligation to win over others. Basketball has made that harder but football has been incredible under Clawson.

I agree that if Clawson leaves, fan support will be the reason why. I liked the push for the Utah State game, and I hope we can continue and build on had success.

Clawson also understood the limitations of the other schools that were stepping stones to Wake. That didn’t mean he had to stick with them just like he doesn’t have to stick with Wake. Each school was just the next step up the ladder. Just because he understands our limitations doesn’t mean he isn’t going to include them in his evaluation of his options.

I was in the stands sat and it was brutal. Cold is manageable, raining sideways and 45 is miserable. Bordering on dangerous. Not for children and older folks. I saw the stands about 20% full at the end of the vpi game and that was in the afternoon.

Few suggestions:
- personal outreach by Clawson in the Triad at all levels; attendance to winning football can be good for business just as golf can be; use to be true for basketball
- improvements in the lots for tailgating and more emphasis in marketing for tailgating
- WF needs to triple size of band and select simpler music; use high schools, etc. (not impressive as is)
- improvements getting people in their seats at the gates which work well now but can be improved
- Deacon Club needs something similar to IPTAY (I pay $10 a year) because it works. That approach brings in a larger base.
- Recognize this takes years to build a culture unique to our circumstances and that winning alone does not bring out NEW fans which is the goal.
- others have better ideas for certain but they’re not being used currently.

Last edited:
Also, unlike angus and other shit-talking internet idiots, I actually go to as many games as I can despite living 1000 miles away and being poor.

Few suggestions:
- personal outreach by Clawson in the Triad at all levels; attendance to winning football can be good for business just as golf can be; use to be true for basketball
- improvements in the lots for tailgating and more emphasis in marketing for tailgating
- WF needs to triple size of band and select simpler music; use high schools, etc. (not impressive as is)
- improvements getting people in their seats at the gates which work well now but can be improved
- Deacon Club needs something similar to IPTAY (I pay $10 a year) because it works. That approach brings in a larger base.
- Recognize this takes years to build a culture unique to our circumstances and that winning alone does not bring out NEW fans which is the goal.
- others have better ideas for certain but they’re not being used currently.

This is Currie's job, not Clawson's. Currie needs to get on his knees and apologize, beg forgiveness and blame the weather for the last two home game crowds - then next year, he needs to do the job he was hired for which is gin up regional support for our football and basketball programs. Football should be a piece of fucking cake. Not only do we have an elite coach, we have on offense that is exciting to watch.

I remember when I was at Wake during the Dooley era, I would run into my relatives at Wake games all the time. My cousin lived in Greensboro when he wasn't incarcerated and my uncle was in Danville. They never missed games because getting there was so chill and ticket prices were affordable, etc..

Again, this is why Currie is here. He can coast on facilities for a few years and focus on crowd attendance and basketball. Period.

I think we will have one more year with Clawson to fix this.

Marketing the team is definitely part of a coach’s job description. That’s why there are coach’s shows and why they speak at athletic club and other alumni events.
That was one of Skip’s strengths as a coach.

Back