• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson pleading for a big deacon turnout on Saturday

Those of us who showed up should get a free rain poncho

Why has the band gotten so small? When I was in school they were much bigger and sounded pretty decent, and that was in the Caldwell era, so it wasn't like football was a big draw then (though basketball probably was). I am sure there has been turnover in leadership since then so maybe that has something to do with it. Whatever happened to that crazy older lady who I think was an assistant director for years?

It’s my understanding that Wake students are just doing less in general outside of things that advance their career. I think the price tag has parents pushing more hyper focused experiences. I think extra curricular activity participation is just generally down. I could be wrong about that though.

We built up a good, consistent crowd from 2006-2009, and I think that will happen again. It will depend some on how this season ends, but I think season ticket sales will increase significantly for the upcoming year. We’ll also need to get everyone sitting in the parking lot into the game early - this year there were a lot of people that never made it in for some games.

What should WF do about:
- improvements in the lots for tailgating and more emphasis in marketing for tailgating
- improvements getting people in their seats at the gates which work well now but can be improved
- Deacon Club needs something similar to IPTAY (I pay $10 a year) to expand to a larger base of INCLUSION.

Recognize this takes years to build a culture unique to our circumstances and that winning alone does not bring out NEW fans which is the goal. Others have better ideas for certain but they’re not being used currently.

I thought one mistake the Deacon club made some years back was raising the minimum level above $100. I would have the entry level at $99, (not just young alums) or maybe even $49, not $125. Get more people in the Deacon club door. Priority tickets at 2 FB, 2BB, 2 all other sports. FB and BB parking commensurate with priority points level.

Good to hear comments from a good many old band members. Encouraging to know you all participated. Over 50 years ago for me. I volunteered one football season and then joined - we got 1 hr credit and a football trip out of state each year. Period. Vandy, Maryland, Clemson (awful).
I agree some partial scholarship $ should help. Exp. A son of my wife's cousin went to So. Carolina and got 1/2. 10 years or so ago. So some do that.

I went to a Deacon Club function years ago where Ron Wellman spoke. He was all enthused touting the A&T Band coming for our football game with them that fall. I said good, but asked what he was going to do to help promote/improve the Wake band. He had no interest in reflecting on that. It seemed the band portion of the athletic budget was expendable. I'm sure things were tight back then but should be some better now.
Props to the people who were in the band this year, but they need and should get some help. There was an effort a few years back for former members to pledge some support. Also, seems like the 'day of giving' a couple of months ago had areas to split your gift and band was included. Likely didn't get many gifts.

Cut beer prices in half. Also "for heaven's sake" don't get rid of reentry. Will hurt attendance even further.

Good to hear comments from a good many old band members. Encouraging to know you all participated. Over 50 years ago for me. I volunteered one football season and then joined - we got 1 hr credit and a football trip out of state each year. Period. Vandy, Maryland, Clemson (awful).
I agree some partial scholarship $ should help. Exp. A son of my wife's cousin went to So. Carolina and got 1/2. 10 years or so ago. So some do that.

I went to a Deacon Club function years ago where Ron Wellman spoke. He was all enthused touting the A&T Band coming for our football game with them that fall. I said good, but asked what he was going to do to help promote/improve the Wake band. He had no interest in reflecting on that. It seemed the band portion of the athletic budget was expendable. I'm sure things were tight back then but should be some better now.
Props to the people who were in the band this year, but they need and should get some help. There was an effort a few years back for former members to pledge some support. Also, seems like the 'day of giving' a couple of months ago had areas to split your gift and band was included. Likely didn't get many gifts.

Anthony Tang in Advancement has done a lot to grow band giving. I’m all for folks who are in the band. It’s not their fault the band is tiny.

1972. There's no way that was only a student band correct?
20d5edfed04d889a42fee37feb468171.jpg

Another former band member here. AD wants band participation in football games, but gives very little, if any $upport to the band. With the added ACC Network money, the marching band band should get something beyond the next to nothing they currently get.

Band had to "mortgage" future trips to pay for trip to Houston during ACC Championship season. That and Maryland were the only out of state trips my whole WFU band career.

Mid '80's trumpet player here. You can tell from my avatar why I was in the marching band. :cool:

The decade old basketball debacle and conference realignment may also have something to do with the low marching band numbers.

Back in that time Tacy had the basketball team to the Elite 8 and to make the basketball pep band to travel to our home games at the Greensboro Coliseum and to play at the ACCT or NCAAT pep band you were expected to be in the marching band. It was a heated competition to make the basketball pep band each year.

Now, you couldn't pay me to play in the basketball pep band and the ACCT has been watered down. Hell, Quarterfinal Friday at the ACCT used to be a state Holiday with the 4 games all day long. NCAAT bids?!

Back